Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Discussion] Transhumanism in Fenspace
[Discussion] Transhumanism in Fenspace
It’s probably because I’ve been on a Transhumanism kick lately (a couple of fics here and there have grabbed my attention, as have a thread or two), but I suspect its gideon020’s Triax thread that’s got me seriously thinking.

How much Transhumanism do you think is good for Fenspace?

I mean, we already have a fair chunk of it hanging around. There’s biomods and cyborgs and at least medical cloning tech.

Neural Interfaces? Yep, we have those. There mostly for the total cyborgs at the moment, but we have neural induction helmets just as good.

Memory augmentation? Yes we do, even if it’s not really around due to it being used for crime. The same goes for Forking.

Uploading…well, sorta. Not in a reliable way at least.

The major transhumanist enablers that we don’t have are workable nanotech and human genetic engineering. Yet.

One thing I have noticed is that we (The Fenspace Collective) are trying to be Genre-savvy about these things. Too much too soon pushes seems to push people towards the Genre Directive; they recoil, and relegate things to MacGuffin-hood. Still, I’d like to think we’re all smart people here. Hopefully we can work something out.

As it currently stands, all the big tech advances are going to come from the Bad Guys. Understandable, given its amazing what you can develop if you don’t have conventional morality to hold you back.

Unless there’s a Cabal of tech developers who HAVE developed all those neat toys, but are cautiously preparing Fen and Dane for their gradual release. Of course, all those carefully thought out timetables can get thrown out the window if the Black Hats put out something…

Comments?

Messages In This Thread
[Discussion] Transhumanism in Fenspace - by Cobalt Greywalker - 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
[No subject] - by Dakota - 08-01-2013, 11:57 PM
[No subject] - by ECSNorway - 08-02-2013, 12:04 AM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-02-2013, 01:55 AM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 08-02-2013, 02:11 AM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 08-02-2013, 06:29 AM
[No subject] - by HRogge - 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 08-03-2013, 03:46 PM