Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloom Sabre wishlist- and req for recs for alt builds

Okay. Before I start, I should say that I'm gonna...give a very harsh critique here. I apologise in advance, no offence intended. Really! And unlike most people when they use those words, I actually mean it. =D
Also, a lot of my comments come from, well, my own experience with playing a Dark defender - Space Mage - and I suspect my style is entirely different from yours. You seem to have a few particular objectives with this build, and my way is kinda different.
So that's my first question. First of all, what is your intent for this build? What are you trying to achieve?
The set bonuses look like a pretty mixed bag to me - I can tell you've focused on Recovery bonuses...and I agree with that, since a D3 can be pretty heavy on the end use. But otherwise I don't really see any pattern to the bonuses.
Secondly, I find it...kinda eyebrow-raising that most of your blasts are slotted for ToHit debuff and not damage. Dark Torrent is similarly slotted for knockback and not damage. I suppose if you're going a pure 'support' route this makes sense, but honestly I dunno about this.
While I don't have any numbers to back up my assertion, I suspect you'll have adequate ToHit debuff on an opponent without slotting the way you've done. I seem to be fine leaning on just the Dark Miasma primary alone (since Space Mage's secondary is Energy Blast) without even needing an additional source of ToHit debuff.
And I'm really really against defenders who don't actually use their attacks. And I'm against this because, to me, a defender who doesn't attack is a bad team player. A defender might not do as much damage as a blaster, but damage is still what your secondary is for, and if you ain't using it...that seems wrong to me, and not contributing as much to a team as you should.
However, I will admit that's a somewhat subjective viewpoint, and probably my own opinions showing, like I warned earlier, so feel free to disregard that.
What I am puzzled about though ... is given the emphasis on this ToHit debuff slotting... that you've slotted Dark Servant for Heal and Immobilize.
See...if you actually look at what Dark Servant does, the primary contribution in my opinion is actually Chill of the Night, which is, yes, a ToHitDebuff. Putting a heal in there isn't a bad idea, really, but I don't consider the Servant's Tentacles to be that useful. Nor does it seem, to me, that the set bonuses you're getting from those Heal and Immob enhancements are all that useful. I'd suggest, if you only have four slots to burn, looking into a mixed bag of Heal and ToHitDebuff for Fluffy, along with some accuracy.
On the other hand, you could argue that my preference for slotting Fluffy with ToHit debuff is precisely because Space Mage doesn't have the dark secondary for additional ToHit debuff, as you seem to be counting on. So your milage may vary... but that's how I see it. Granted, you've got QB Kitsune and Lady Nogitsune as previous experience with slotting ze Fluffies, but I suspect Lady Nogi's Fluffy must be high on the recharge due to the nerfed MM version of the secondary. I wouldn't know how QB's is.
Finally, I'd strongly advise against taking Black Hole. I do realise there's a sort of automatic knee-jerk reaction to taking any enemy intangibility power in the game, but let me explain my reasoning.
The thing is... most players don't know what the hell to do with it. And I don't just mean people who have the power and use it unwisely, I mean a lot of players will continue to attack an enemy even if the Unaffected message is floating over its head.
It's fine for soloing, I think, but so damn situational in a team situation that I'd rather not have the damn thing. I dunno tho, again, you've got your own take on Dark, I'm sure.
-- Acyl

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Acyl - 01-31-2009, 10:17 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
[No subject] - by Shader - 02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
[No subject] - by sweno - 02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
[No subject] - by Shader - 02-07-2009, 02:03 AM