Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloom Sabre wishlist- and req for recs for alt builds

Regarding damage slotting...
I don't think a Defender is going to rival a blaster for damage output, as a general rule. However, I'm really strongly against the idea that Tanks and Defenders should not slot for damage at all. Because no matter how low your damage, it's still part of your contribution to the team, and a non-trivial contribution at that. This is particularly the case if you're bringing along some kind of damage resistance debuff (Rad, Sonic, and Dark) or damage buffs (Kin).
I also recognize that your milage may vary, and this is very much personal preference and opinions. It's very subjective, and I admit that. It is a valid argument that - if your role is pure support - then your power usage should be directed entirely towards that goal. See the whole 'Pure Empath' playstyle as an example of that.
Regarding power choices...
Moonbeam: The thing with Moonbeam is that it is a good attack power, comes very early on in the set (which is important)... and a Dark/Dark defender, with all the to-hit debuff, can probably get it off reliably even in the middle of a fight. On the other hand, you need to ask if you should be trying to do damage at all, or whether your time is better spent using your utility powers. That I can't answer for you. It is perhaps worthwhile to take Moonbeam for the pulling capabilities, but whether that's worth the power pick in your build is also debatable. How often do you anticipate needing to pull that way?
I personally don't have snipe attacks on any of my defenders or corruptors, figuring that I do most of my work up close anyway, and usually open with stuff other than a snipe - I slap down debuffs and control powers. I also believe in providing support right up front with the meleers rather than hanging back. It depends on how you're swinging it, however. I have a friend who swears by Moonbeam and would probably marry it. Or at least date it.
Torrent: I don't think Dark Torrent is entirely useless for a Dark character. The knockback does serve a function - namely, for me, repositioning enemies so they're in range of the debuffs. I use Torrent on Space Mage to knock enemies back into Tar Patch or within range of the Darkest Night anchor. Or to bunch 'em up before applying Fearsome Stare. This works reasonably well for me. Whether it fits your playstyle is, once again, debatable, and something I cannot determine for you.
-- Acyl

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Acyl - 01-31-2009, 10:17 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
[No subject] - by Shader - 02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
[No subject] - by sweno - 02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
[No subject] - by Shader - 02-07-2009, 02:03 AM