Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Doctors Got Into the Torture Business
torture
Hello Ayiekie
I never said the other half of the equation justified what happened to those captured men.
What bothered me and still bothers me is that the murder of the Iraq civilians by these terrorist actions no longer seems to be very news worthy.
There are no detailed accounts in books or on the news to generate the emotion we felt after reading the very short synopsis of the book that started this thread.
Half way through the short synopsis I suddenly wondered about my emotional reaction when I hear the statistics of another homicide bombing of civilians.
The most you usually see in the news is "Dozens dead in a bombing at _______".
There are no follow ups, no details nothing the entire atrocity has been forced into a few almost emotionless words and a single vague numeration.

/QUOTE/
THIS IS WHY THERE IS SAFEGUARDS.
THIS IS WHY THERE IS DISCIPLINE IN THE MILITARY.
THIS IS WHY THERE IS A CHAIN OF COMMAND.
THIS IS WHY THERE MUST BE IMMEDIATE AND PUBLIC CONSEQUENCES TO THESE SORT OF ACTIONS.
/ENDQUOTE/
I agree, there must be public consequences for breaking the rules of engagement.
/QUOTE/
But there isn't, because of a culture that has poisoned the American military from the very top.
/ENDQUOTE/
I disagree.
I think your letting your personal bias against a political party and an administration cloud your view and magnify your emotions.
How strong is your emotional reaction when you hear that "Dozens" of civilians(women and children) have again been bombed?(This usually happens every day.)
Where was your and MY post of outrage for them?
There is not enough evidence in a synopsis of a book we have not read yet to claim a poisoned military culture.
Given roughly 100,000 troops fighting the horror that is Moslem extremist it is to be expected some will break and use the same techniques used by the enemy.
I don't like it and I hope most in the military don't like it, but realistically it will occur hopefully just a very few times that will quickly be stopped.
Is it widespread?
I hope not, but the point I'm now trying to make is there hasn't been enough evidence presented for us to make a decision.
You can't count on the news to give you a clear picture not when they spend entire books or hours of TV time on a each occurance of American torture and barely 20 words on the daily atrocities by the terrorist.
I disagree about your blanket statement that torture can't produce results and only increase the hate.
I personally believe in carefully controlled situations some of what you would probably call torture, such as sleep deprivation can produce useful information.
Would I trust the info NO, but meeting locations and weapons dumps can be checked and removed if they exist.
What this book synopsis seems to be describing is a total breakdown into revenge motivated torture.
I believe we both can agree it is shameful, a disgrace and should be stopped as quickly as possible with all parties punished. Along with reviews to try and prevent it from happening again.
I do believe in God and Jesus and I also believe we are accountable for every action, inaction or word we speak.
I also worry about how I will be judged when I die.
howard melton
God bless

Messages In This Thread
How Doctors Got Into the Torture Business - by Ayiekie - 06-29-2006, 02:37 AM
torture - by hmelton - 06-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Re: torture - by Valles - 06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Re: torture - by Ayiekie - 06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
torture - by hmelton - 06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Re: torture - by Ayiekie - 06-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Re: torture - by jpub - 06-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Re: torture - by Ayiekie - 06-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Re: torture - by jpub - 06-30-2006, 09:44 PM