Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there anyone on the forums from Ireland?
RE: Is there anyone on the forums from Ireland?
Bob uses Thread Necro! It's Super Effective!

So... I was searching for "Guest" posts when I came across this thread and recalled the whole issue -- and realized I never learned what happened after. So I went looking.

According to Wikipedia, while the blasphemy law remains on the books in Ireland, there have never been any prosecutions, or (apparently) even any arrests. There have been investigations, but it sounds like the entire legal system of Ireland is more or less pretending the 2009 law doesn't exist unless actively forced to acknowledge it, and does as little as possible to deal with it.

What I find interesting is the existence of a blasphemy law is required by the Irish constitution, according to this article, but no one really wanted it in this era -- and despite how we all reacted to the 2009 law, it may have been a deliberate effort by someone to circumvent the constitutional requirement by fulfilling it in a completely unworkable form. To quote Wikipedia quoting other people:
Quote:Neville Cox said, "My view is the 2009 act fulfilled a constitutional obligation on the crime of blasphemy, but skilfully rendered the law completely unenforceable. I am not saying that was the intention". Dermot Ahern commented in 2017, "We implemented the crime but made it in a way that it would be virtually impossible to prosecute."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is there anyone on the forums from Ireland? - by Bob Schroeck - 11-17-2017, 02:05 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM
[No subject] - by khagler - 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
[No subject] - by Fidoohki - 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
[No subject] - by ECSNorway - 01-09-2010, 01:52 AM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 01-13-2010, 11:30 PM