Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
RE: A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
Seriously?

It hits all the pseudo-science beats:
  • unsubstantiated extraordinary claims ("something revolutionary") CHECK!
  • unrecognized value at risk ("people who might have more interest in suppressing/stealing this technology") CHECK!
  • brings up disproved hypotheses (aether, antigravity, free energy) CHECK!
  • admission of scientific illiteracy ("Antigravity and Free Energy, and I concluded that there really was something to it") CHECK!
  • some mysticism (chi, orgone) CHECK!
  • unsubstantiated statistics ("over 90% of people can feel this energy") CHECK!
  • discredit known science with no proof ("able to verify that it was not anything conventional") CHECK!
  • misused scientific terms/Treknobabble ("a sub quantum field") CHECK!
  • doesn't say anything about the actual "technology" ("a strange coil") CHECK!
  • appeal to "visionaries" to do the heavy lifting ("anyone...willing to put in the work") CHECK!
  • failure to spell-check (shows sloppy work/inflated ego/paranoia) CHECK!
One, I'm going to completely fail to provide my credit card number or checking account information.  Big Grin

Two, I'm going to suggest, that even at 39, with two decades (that's 20 years!) spent on this, you could have actually learned enough science to work out what's going on. Maybe you've been a hobbyist, circling back to "that wild idea" every couple of years, without really putting in the work; this would explain why you ask for someone else to do the work. My guess is reading (and understanding) scientific accounts of Tesla's work would have answered this conundrum of yours years ago. Most of Tesla's wilder, romantic (yet sadly fictional) ideas are circling the Internet with just this kind of presentation. I would hate to think you've wasted 20 years making an oversized-component dynamo or Tesla coil and didn't even know it. (Why did I bring up Tesla? Just a vibe.)

Three, off the bat, I'm thinking (since you actually provided nothing to go by): basic electromagnetism is beyond your ken, and this field is entirely explainable as a known, predictable, reproducible EM effect (though a great deal less romantic and revolutionary).

Have fun, and please don't electrocute yourself!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki

Messages In This Thread
RE: A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me - by Spoilsport - 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM