Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starfleet Mission Reports: Hunter and Prey

Between the quality of their own technology, and the outdated systems the Frozen Summer used, it was a simple matter for the Hirogen to listen in on the conversation between the freighter and the Jeff Wayne. Standing on his command podium, barely resisting the urge to take out his fury on anything or anyone within reach, or at least to pace, Kran considered the green skinned woman on his viewscreen.

As usual, it was his younger brother Irath that spoke up first, taking advantage of his blood relation to avoid the violent response that even the Packs Beta would have invited like this. "Just how did an Orion manage to get a Starfleet vessel?" he wondered. "I thought the Klingons had the greenskins well and truly absorbed into their empire." There was a hint of distaste in his voice at the concept. A hunter didn't invite their prey to join in the hunt, after all. It went against the natural order of things.

"The Federation is a curious thing," Kran replied. "They claim that species is not an issue they worry about," He snorted, shaking his head. "Prey species. Insane. Still, it would explain a few things in this case. I suspect that she, or her predecessors, may have fled to the Federation when the Klingons put her race in their place."

"An accurate theory my Alpha." Kran turned to see his Beta entering the bridge, datapad in hand. The mans body language was tense, cautious, and he maintained a safe distance from Kran. Despite his anger, the Alpha almost smiled in respect. While the day would come when Hakket would challenge him, and one of them would die, it was not going to be today. The Betas survival instincts were too good for that.

"I suspect you've found information on this Captain Hanagawa?" he asked, turning away from the screen where said Captain, having confirmed the Hirogen had only done minor damage to the Frozen Summer, was telling them to make repairs as quickly as possible, then leave the area.

Hakket bared pointed teeth in what passed for a smile, "Our Tal Shiar 'friends' have a file on her," he replied. "It is somewhat limited in solid details, as it seems she's only recently come to their attention, but it remains interesting. For instance, it turns out she began as a healer, a Doctor."

Stiffening in surprise, Kran gave his Beta a look that was half disbelief, half accusation. For his part, Hakket met the look without hesitation. "That was my response at first as well," he said, "but it all fits together reasonably well. And if the Tal Shiar wanted to make fools of us, I'd like to think they'd try something a little more believable to bait us." Nodding, the Alpha conceded the point, letting the man continue. "As I said your theory of how she arrived in the Federation is somewhat accurate. Her parents fled Orion space after a power struggle nearly thirty years ago, settling on Earth. When she came of age, she was admitted to their Starfleet Academy to train as a Doctor." His mouth twisted in distaste at the concept, but he sounded as if he believed it. Prey species were strange sometimes.

"And here she is now, serving as a Captain," Kran mused, glancing back at the viewscreen as the call ended and the two bridges were replaced by the usual sight of the warp field. "Quite the change in status."

"A change that, if these records are accurate, she earned at Vega Colony," Hakket said grimly, taking a certain satisfaction as several crewmembers pretending not to listen in made the mental connection and visibly flinched,

Hissing slightly, Irath shook his head. "The Borg," he muttered, betraying the unease all Hunters felt in regards towards what they often quietly called the Devourer. "Of all the things that had to turn up in this Quadrant."

"It seems that Hanagawa was the highest ranking officer left alive after the Borg managed to board her ship," Hakket said, glancing at the datapad again. "She managed emergency repairs, helped to repel the ground invasion, and then was involved in taking down at least one Cube."

Kran looked thoughtful. "An impressive start to a more honourable path in life," he commented. "And if her boast to me was accurate, she's continued along that same path."

Moving close enough to hand Kran the datapad, Hakket shrugged slightly. "I can't confirm anything about the Undine, but the Romulans did have quite a bit on her encounters with the Klingons." The smile was even more aggressive this time. "The Klingons alternate between admiring her as a warrior and mocking her as a 'tiny little starfleet weakling', but I think they're actually scared of her."

Considering that, Kran smiled. "Then she is a worthy hunt," he said, "And a dangerous one." The thought of the coming challenge dulled his anger somewhat.

"As much as Starfleet could be," Irath commented, taking a long, curved knife from his belt and considering it.

"Even Starfleet is better prey then what we've been finding," his brother pointed out. "And anyone that can face the Borg is clearly better then the average Federation weakling." His tone was severe, a warning to Irath, but it was more for forms sake then anything else. Since arriving in the Beta Quadrant, he'd hunted and killed nearly half a dozen Starfleet captains, and he'd found them all lacking. Scientists and explorers, not warriors or hunters. And while this Orion had potential, she'd started as a doctor of all things.

She might pose some challenge, but the end would never really be in doubt. And afterwards, once she was dealt with, her skull would be mounted on his wall, as a warning to all who dared to doubt the honor of the Hirogen.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
[No subject] - by Matrix Dragon - 02-18-2013, 02:36 AM
[No subject] - by Dragonflight - 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM
[No subject] - by ECSNorway - 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
[No subject] - by Matrix Dragon - 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
[No subject] - by Matrix Dragon - 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
[No subject] - by Matrix Dragon - 06-18-2013, 02:38 AM
[No subject] - by Dragonflight - 06-19-2013, 03:45 AM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 06-19-2013, 04:00 AM