Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bio-Tech (4e) in IST
Bio-Tech (4e) in IST
I managed to acquire GURPS Bio-Tech recently, and I've been considering doing a summary of what in it is available in the
IST-verse, along the lines of the Ultra-Tech survey I did a while ago. However, in doing so I've realized something that might be an enormous can of worms.

Essentially, according to the IST world timeline, in the 80s, genetic researchers discovered the genes for human intelligence and at the same time discovered
the genes for metahuman power -- and realized that the two were (IIRC) "inextricably linked". (This would mark a good point for where IST world
bio-tech achieved TL 9, because as far as I'm aware, real-world genetic researchers haven't identified any specific parts of the genome that contribute
to intelligence. Of course, I am not a biologist.)

Okay, here's where things get interesting. If the genes for intelligence -- sapience, in current GURPS terminology --
are inextricably linked with those for metahuman potential, then any creatures that are genetically engineered with those genes will have the same potential to
develop and express metahuman powers. This includes all sapient bioroids and uplifted animals. Furthermore, given that the metagenes are more or less random in
how they express, it is likely to be impossible to specifically engineer any specific powers.

Thoughts?

Chris Davies.

Messages In This Thread
Bio-Tech (4e) in IST - by NotDavies - 07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 07-07-2009, 12:45 AM
[No subject] - by NotDavies - 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 06-14-2014, 08:49 PM
[No subject] - by Ebony - 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-16-2014, 11:40 PM