Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
placement in space: where are the off-world homeworlds?
placement in space: where are the off-world homeworlds?
Supertemps says that "Rynkar is located on the opposite side of the Milky Way from Earth", so we probably don't need to figure out its location more specifically than that. My brain, however, has found itself doing the math on the location of the Confederation home cluster, and in the process, I started trying to figure out where Myrr's primary is.

I actually narrowed the latter down first. P.IST36 says it's "ten light-years from ours, toward the edge of the galaxy." In OTL, there are only five stars at that distance (at least according to Wikipedia), and only one that's on the side of our sky away from the center of the galaxy: e Eridani.

Identifying the Confederation cluster is a little harder; Bob says only that it's "over a thousand light-years away, towards the center of the galaxy" (p.IST35). Getting more specific than that would require knowing how much over a thousand light-years, and whether it's a globular cluster or just an open cluster. (I picked up the terms from the 4e version of GURPS Space, then went to Wikipedia to find out what the known ones are. Then again, I'm assuming it is one of the known ones, if only because I have trouble believing that many stars could hide from our sight.) If it's a globular cluster, the nearest one of those in the right general direction is M4, a "mere" 7200ly away. If it's an open cluster, there are several in the right direction at the right minimum range. (I'm tickled by M23 myself, but that's probably over-egging the beer...)

Messages In This Thread
placement in space: where are the off-world homeworlds? - by Mamorien - 06-28-2014, 12:22 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-28-2014, 01:41 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 06-28-2014, 03:17 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 06-28-2014, 04:02 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 07-05-2014, 01:03 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 07-05-2014, 02:02 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 07-05-2014, 02:53 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 07-15-2014, 12:54 AM