Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes for an action RPG
Notes for an action RPG
This is very disorganise and SoC-y, but it just kind of hit me today that it would be fun to play something like Kingdom Hearts with these characters, and a slightly different combat ssytem from KH2 - I like the reaction command system becasue it lets combats be very cinematic - some of te boss fights that have strings of two or three of the commends in a row if you hit them at the rihght time end up being like the moves from FF7:Advent Children, which just rocks my socks - but I hate that it's based on the triangle button, rather than a top trigger, and while the Dusk Nobodies are good, a touch more of the surreal would be even more interesting.
It begins with a babble about weapons, because that was the starting point - a Tron-like character that wouldn't actually use a copyrighted character design outright, and weapns similar to but discernably different from the ones in TRON 2.0.
Also, being able to pick from a selection of main characters rather than being stuck with the one, even if their storylines are simiar in the broad strokes so only dialogues and a few character-swaps have to be made is the furthest I'm willing to get from a "design your character from scratch" model ala City of Heroes or Oblivion.
The point here is to keep things to what could be reasonably made if I got off my touchus and got to it, meaning no voice acting and a relatively straightforward game mechanic that could be done over CrystalSpace.
The reason I'm even posting it, is to solicit suggestions or outlines for plot and opponents, or design themes for a number of world areas - if anything ever results from it, contributing here would get you a line in the credits, but for more effort than you're willing to do for free more invovled discussions would need to take place, with part of the agreement that if reasonable attempts to contact you for your share fail at some far-future date when theoretical money might be made off a finished product, that the work as contributed may still be used.
----------------------------------
Weapoons, computer themed
Ping - basic gun
Upgrades:
Packet - spray
Trace - homing
DDoS - special attack, spray of homing thast returns from all angles
Cone shape primitive

Pong - big ball that returns after being thrown, pinball type special moves (would have to use a different name, since Pong is a trademark for the game - something pinball-related?)
Multiball - the obvious
Magnaball - homing
Bonus! - swarms of balls from all angles

Need something for a cube primitive - swords, maybe - d8 shape not cube, does melee weapons - sword, staff, spinny shield/saw thing - "Hack"
Armor - Gearhead helmet

Bullet time mode from r2 trigger or Rmouse or Bkey, NWN type context menus with center/default being GO! that lets youu move normally while the game clock is slow for an upgraedeable number of seconds. Some enemies can use it later, so higer slowdown levels available - cardinal slots are commands, diagonal slots open a new menu. Commands: evade, deflect, airwalk, hyper - hyper supercharges the move just started when bullet time trigger hit, including jumping - airwlk is for horizontal movement, jump+hyper is for verticaljumping normally in airwlk works but is not as high - bullet time duration based on endurance - normal fighting burns it slowly and cann be upgraded until it recovers slowly, bullet time chews it up two or three times as fast, also upgradeable to the point that with max upgrades bullet time burns it about as fast as normal combat initially.
(AT LAST! WITH SUPER BULLET TIME THREE, I AM THE PRINCE OF ALL JOHNWOOJIN ONCE MORE!)

Characters -
Tron ripoff digital warrior(ping, pong, hack, & gearhead equipment), penguin (gloves, umbrella & hat equipment) pizza guy (pizza, slicer, cheese, different hat equipment)

Story - pizza guy delivers to house. Guy playing fighting game with pet penguin inside, but just as he rings the doorbell an evil boss attacks! Guy blocks magical death beam with game console, is merged into digital warior. All three are sucked into an evil realm and must escape, then seeek out and destroy the evil! - player choice of main character from the three determines storylines, for replay value.

Boss is attacking everyone around, not just them - they just happened to be lucky enough to be able to escape the realm of evil. A return to beat final boss and rescue other people eventually required

Move with AWSD or left stick, camera with mouse, arrows or right stick. 3rd person view ala KH or TR, or FFX travel. Opponents autotarget when close, but with a ranged weapon 1st person mode is available and required for long range targeting

Digital warrior looks like Great Saiyaman with different textures, bandanna version, but Xenosaga scouter/visor rarther than sunglasses. Helmet also available, cape billows and flows like Spawn? Tron base bodysuit, Matrix falling-code fabric for tabard, cape is Tron motif with glowing circuitry in a geometric pattern.

Travel upgrades: digital warrior gets a hoverbike, Zach has a mini flying saucer Goblin Glider kind of thing, Pengie gets a jetboard, Grannie gets Air Trek inlines, Tee always flies. Tee fights barehanded in meolee range, and has "pick up and toss" bullet time commands as well as the most knockback per strength point . Fighting from the mount may be difficult to implement but desieable - see motorbike chase in FF7AC for why

knockback is a certain distance per strength point with melee weapons, and weapons may have modifiers to it. Falling damage counts if you are smacked into something or don't tap the jump key to recover in the air, if in a jumping attack you travel with the target and hit again at the end, REALLY HJARD if the attackkey is hit again at just the right time. Visible change to the target pipper during the attack window for big damage.

New character for party!
You have rescued MRS GARDNER, the nice old lady from down the street! Shovel, trowel, handbag/glock weapons, garden apron armor. Lara Croft at 85. Digi remembers her bringing him some cookies, Pengie rememberds her bringing him some fish, and Zach remembers bringing her a pizza and getting a mondo tip. Granny kicks ass, but has low endurance. "... Granny is hardcore, man." "Totally." "WARK-wark!"

Main char gender option, also "I like: []guys []girls []both []together OR []no romance subplots" Pengie can transform to human mode after learning magic.

New character for party! You have rescued TEE, biker-goth Tinkerbell. Teaches magic to other characters but is the best at it.

Digi: better at range and offense
Pengie: better at melee and defense
Zach: balanced offense/defense, best endurance
Granny: Super offense, moderate defense, poor endurance
Tee: good melee, excellent magic and stamina, no weapons or armor.

Standard arrowhead and diamond formations, Tee orbits randomly. Whether party members stay close in combat or range wider to pursue is available as a menu option, default being "stay nearby but engage freely." Several AI agression levels, and frontline/range/support role settings

Any character can be made the viewpoint character or soloed to solve distant-switch puzzles, but the main story is Zach, Digi or Pengie depending on which one is chosen. Finishing all three storylines unlocks some opponents and minor characters as playable models and a new storyline as a defector from the legions of evil for use with opponent models, but it is mainly a diffeerent beginning on the normal quest, where as a new recruit sent to round up captives you have a crisis of conscience and free them - for this storyline, before you begin you choose which normal character to take the place of, and that person is seen getting herded along with the other captives instead of landing seperately in the realm of evil and managing to hide. "Hey, new guy! Go round up the slaves... Or is that too hard for a green recruiit?" Catches character being replaced, sees him abused by the caravaneers, and leaves - finds the other characters and is confronted with a "this is evil!" speech, says that's why he's leaving, so let him pass - then they're attacked and have to work together, and by the time the arty escapes the realm of evil the first time they decide to stay as a unit and opose the Big Boss Man together.

Player allocates upgrade points to stats or skills directly, scripted events add new skills or bonuses - upgrade points can also be used to buy a new skill (like using a different weapon than the character's default set) from a non-hostile character who already knows it.
----------------
- CD should really use that CS degree he's been working on for something, after allSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Messages In This Thread
Notes for an action RPG - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 04:19 AM
interesting - by Rod.H - 04-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Re: interesting - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Re: interesting - by jpub - 04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Re: interesting - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by Valles - 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by ClassicDrogn - 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by Valles - 04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by ClassicDrogn - 04-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Monster Idea - by happerry - 04-21-2006, 08:07 AM