Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince
I'm not sure it's that, she just isn't a very good writer.
My favorite example:
From Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 2
Quote:
Privet Drive looked exactly as a respectable suburban street would be expected to look in the early hours of Saturday morning. All the curtains were closed. As far as Harry could see through the darkness, there wasn't a living creature in sight, not even a cat. [emphasis mine, of course]
This, one must admit, is pretty not-good. What is that even supposed to mean, not even a cat? Is that some sort of crack against cats or something?
I didn't get too many chapters after that second one; I really tried but, contrary to my hopes, it just refused get good enough, quickly enough for my tastes and I went back to re-reading Callahan's Key. The things like that were just too distracting; it certainly wasn't as bad as, say, the Worlds of Power novelization of Castlevania ("'I will drink your spirit like cherry pop!' said the count, flapping his cape and showing his fangs.") but it continually put me in mind of it and that was Not Helping. Just couldn't read it.
So, before this gets too much longer: She's no [awesome author here].
(A friend and I turned "not even a cat" into a sort of break trigger and now use it periodically.
PROTIP: I find that the best reaction is achieved if one says it as though it was in tags and all caps and one is attempting to enunciate the formatting)-----------------
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
- Chris Knight, Real Genius Two great tastes that go great together!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince - by Kokuten - 09-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince - by Angryoptimist - 09-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince - by Custos Sophiae - 09-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince - by WengFook - 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Re: Having finished HP & the Half-Blood Prince - by WengFook - 09-16-2005, 05:54 AM