Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[preview, wip] DSKSWDYHMS? - Chapter 3
[preview, wip] DSKSWDYHMS? - Chapter 3
Initially told from 3rd person perspective, it shifts to Rei's perspective, where I plan on leaving it for the rest of this chapter. My local sounding
boards proclaim it full of win and love. Looking more at plot issues here rather than spelling and grammar.

Zeke stretched out, sighing as muscles that hadn't moved in a while protested the movement, and looked at his graph book. After a few days of tinkering
around with ideas, he finally had the basic structure for the Wind Barrier. Now he just had to start experimenting with wind charms and talismans to figure
out how to gain the best effect. It was one of several projects that he had in the works, and it would hopefully give him some viable protection in case a
situation got too hairy.

Across the room, Rei turned the page in book she was reading with great interest. This was not an ordinary book. It was Zeke's Book of Shadows, a journal
of all things metaphysical that Zeke learned and put to practice.

When Rei had heard about it, she had been expecting a ratty looking of hardbound journal. What she got instead was a professional looking project portfolio
accompanied by a spiral note book that was just starting to fill up with Zeke's scrawling and sketches. The portfolio was the results of Zeke's
cumulative experience and the notebook was the more recent happenings. Zeke would recompile the portfolio book every six months, adding in material from the
notebook he was using at the time. Said notebook would then be put in storage and the portfolio became the reference book he used, as the material had been
cleaned up by Zeke and made presentable.

By now, that portfolio was just beginning to approach tome-like dimensions. It's contents had been arranged in a logical manner, divided by subjects such
as meditation, spirit walking, divination, lei lines and focal points, spirits and other entities, and Raven.

Rei had never seen its like and flipped through the pages slowly, fascinated by the things she saw and wondering if she should incorporate some of Zeke's
techniques into her own practices.

Thinking of the strange gaijin that had come crashing into her life, Rei turned to look at him and watched in mild fascination as he puzzled over the rough
designs for whatever device he was working on. It was strange to think that the fuuins that she took for granted could be turned into something far different
and far more potent. Zeke had studied all manner of charms, spells, wards, protections, and anything else Rei could think of. He then took what he learned,
then applied his amazing technical engineering skill to it, molding simple charms into effective tools.

She was ambivalent about it.

Part of her was mortally embarrassed at having inspired such a radical perversion of her knowledge of Shinto. Yet, as she watched Zeke begin to discover his
own Mastery of whatever magical power he had, a strange sense of pride swelled up in her heart - she had been the catalyst to this new revolution, this new set
of techniques that may allow a new society surpass the greatness of the Moon Kingdom That Was.

Where Zeke was concerned, it was always like this for the Miko. While part of her lauded him and craved any of his attention, another part wished to tear him
down and put up barriers.

She watched him fuss over another notebook - this one he had been using for notes on Shinto charms and such. Zeke seemed to be trying to decide on something.
Curiosity got the better of Rei and she went to him to see if she could help.

"Is everything okay?" asked Rei as Zeke flipped through the pages of the notebook.

"Heki heki," Zeke replied casually without even looking up. "I have several ideas. I'm just trying to find the best solution among
them."

"Heeeeeeh?" said Rei, rearing back. Zeke smiled slightly. For some reason he loved hearing that sound that Japanese people made. "Are you
serious?"

"Of course," said Zeke, his smile growing slightly. "It's part of what being an engineer is about. It is not simply enough to accomplish
the goal. You must do so in the most simple, elegant, and efficient manner possible. Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away."

"You engineers are so weird."

At this, Zeke did look up at Rei, grinning. He didn't wonder why he felt attracted to her. In some respects, Rei was an ideal Japanese woman just
starting to come into her prime: as beautiful as a princess, quick-witted like a kitsune, and well educated. He just loved the way she stared him with those
dark, elegant eyes of hers with her face framed by her long, luxuriant black hair.

"Yes, I am weird," he stated proudly. "Of course, you wouldn't have me any other way because then I'd just be another boring egghead
like your friend, Ami-chan. Not that she isn't cute, either." Zeke's smile was now what Rei had taken to calling his Kitsune Smile and he
punctuated his remark by waggling his eyebrows at her.

"I told you before to stop doing that!" she cried out.

"And for that reason I'll keep on doing it." And with that Zeke's hand darted forward and tweaked her nose. Rei yelped, then snarled and
lunged after him. Zeke somehow managed to roll away and come up on his feet. "Come here you bastard!"

"Hey, I know my father!" Zeke cried out, tossing the remark over his shoulder gleefully as he cheesed it around the corner with Rei in hot pursuit.

"Demon-worshiping fiend!"

"Oi! Tengu's just a wannabe!"

Rei's Grandfather watched from his chair. He was still convalescing from his heart attack, but he was fit to remain outside of the hospital as long as he
took it easy and got plenty of rest. He watched his granddaughter chase the wily American around the shrine with a smile on his face. He knew exactly what was
going on, whether either of the two knew it or not. He only hoped that the realization came sooner than later - that girl needed to get herself settled down
and the American fellow, even if he hadn't been there to pull him away from the railroad tracks, was more than good enough for his granddaughter. Now if
only the girl's father would show up now and then and behave as a father should!

Oh, what's this now? he thought as he saw Zeke come to a stop and turn to face down Rei. Rei stopped as well, her elegant hair a mess and her robes
disheveled - what a sight! The old man hadn't seen anything like that since he courted his wife after the war! Zeke then goaded Rei by tweaking her nose
again. Enraged, the miko swung at him only to have the blow neatly - gently even! - paried with his open hands. Rei swung wildly several more times and Zeke
parried some and let the ones that would hurt the least through - the the Grandfather knew those would still leave bruises.

Finally, Rei had the last straw and tackled him to the ground and Zeke unleashed his secret weapon, for few Japanese girls were not ticklish! Rei was no
exception as Zeke's fingers easilly found her ribs. However, Rei discovered that zeke was ticklish as well, and soon enough the two were a giggling mess as
they tickled each other into exhaustion.

The old man just chuckled softly and wondered when the wedding would be and how soon great-grandchildren would come afterward. He hoped it would be soon
enough. He was curious to see what kind of children these two made and he wasn't going to be around forever.

We both collapsed to the ground, exhausted and gasping for breath. I barely knew what to make of what
had just happened. Some part of me was revolted by the sickening display, but what had it been a display of? Childishness? No, it was something more than
just that.

It had been affection. Simple, and perhaps a bit childish, but affection all the same. And it was all the more surprising for me in that I had actually liked
it.

As I layed there in the sweet smelling grass, I felt two parts of me warring with each other - one part longing for the simple closeness that Zeke seemed to
offer, and the other part declaring it all an unsightly display and demanding that I discontinue my relationship with Zeke.

"Hino-san?" said Zeke, not moving from where he lay. Even after knowing him for nearly a week he still called me by my last name. I suppose that I
only have myself to blame, since I never really gave him permission to use my given name.

"Yes, Zeke?"

"Would you like to go out for coffee some time?"

It was strange. What he had asked me then didn't really provoke any repsonse in me, save for a vague sense of confusion. There was no sense of panic or
frustration. Just ambivilance as my two sides were once more conflicted.

I had an epithany then. What I felt was not simply confusion or ambivilance. There was pain as well, deep and hollow in my heart. Was I honestly this
conflicted? Was Zeke really right about my spirit being in turmoil?

"Zeke... I don't know if I can," I finally said.

There was a rustling as he sat up on his side and he looked into my eyes with that deep and penetrating gaze of his.

"Do you want to talk?" he asked.

I blinked in surprise. "About what?"

He half-shrugged. "About whatever is troubling you."

I was stunned. Never before had any man wanted to know about my troubles. Not my father. Not any other boy that had tried to ask me out. Not even Kaidou,
for all his kindness towards me, had ever asked of my troubles. And now, here was a gaijin who both accepted and refuted our ways, offering to open himself up
to me like that.

"But... why?" I asked, astonished at the offer.

He sighed and look down. "Because. I like you, Rei. And where I come from, people who like each other confide in each other." He then looked at
me once more. His eyes held an expression of deep sadness. "When my mother died, I didn't really understand. All I wanted was for her to come back
and tell me that everything was okay. Fortunately, I had a very good friend who stayed with me when I felt so sad and lonely. She taught me what it meant to
have someone to talk to. Now I want to do the same for you. I want to be the person you can talk to when you're sad and lonely. So, do you want to talk
about it?"

I looked at him, not sure what to say or think.

"Well, I guess it's not something easy for you," said Zeke. "I'll go make some tea." And just like that, he was up and gone,
leaving me there to think about what had just happened.

Zeke was strange like that. He had a habit of saying something that makes a person think, and then leaving them with those thoughts. There was a shuffling
sound and I found my Grandfather peering down at me.

"I know what you think of me, my Granddaughter. I admit, it is deserved at times. But I would like you to know that my... interests aside, I have always
cared for you, if for no other reason than that you remind me so much of your mother and your grandmother. Trust that boy, Rei-chan. He is a good person,
just like his Grandfather, and he will be good for you."

A flare of indignation rose up in me at that. "Do you expect me to be his wife?"

He did not flinch or waver. Instead, he only smiled and said, "That would be nice, really. I think he would make a fine husband for you." I stared
at him in shock. He then went on, "His kind are the sort that treat women with the utmost respect. I honestly think he would make you happy. However, I
really cannot set such expectations upon you. It may have been considered proper a long time ago, and while some still practice arranged marriages, that is
not the way of the modern age. Rei-chan, I want you to be happy. If that means you never take a husband, then that is well with me. But at the very least, I
do expect you to be a good friend to Ezekiel-kun. Is that fine with you?"

This day was simply full of surprises. First Zeke with all the antics that was simply Zeke, despite what had happened in the past. Then Grandfather came to
me with this...

Slowly, I felt a smile blossoming on my face. "Hai, Ji-san."

"Good then. I'll go and leave the two of you to your own devices. No need for an old man like me to meddle any further." Grandfather then
shuffled off somewhere to rest. I sat up and watched him go. It was then that I realized that he was not long for this world. For certain, he had one more
decade in him before his health started to decline, maybe more. But as I saw him tiredly making his way back to his place of rest, his mortality suddenly
struck me in the face.

He probably knew it as well and he simply went about what remained of his life, smiling that smile of his. To him, his dying didn't really matter. In
fact, not even the Shrine really mattered to him anymore - it was simply an occupation. What mattered to him was me and whether or not I was happy.

Is this what love is? People that care about your happiness and wellbeing? If that was true, then did that mean that Zeke loved me? The answer, of course,
was yes. Only his wasn't the sort of love that frightened me. It was the platonic love of a close friend and confidant. But I knew that it could become
more than that.

I got to my feet and began to compose myself, brushing off loose blades of grass and bits of dry leaves and moss, then straightened out my robes. Once I felt
I was presentable again, I went to the outbuilding where Zeke would be.

I found him waiting with a tea set and a kettle of steaming water. He smiled and gestured for me to have a seat, and so I did. With deliberate care, he
brewed the tea. It was not the traditional green tea - heaven forbid that Zeke be absolutely traditional. Instead, it was a blend of several varieties of
mint that he brought to the Shrine whenever he came. He claimed that it soothed him and eased his meditation. Smelling the aromatic tea as it brewed, I
suspected he was right.

Normally, Zeke was a bit of a clutz. It honestly amazed me that the same boy that had put me in a painful and dangerous pin was enough of a clutz to have
random trips often enough that he knew how to recover from stumbling - or at least take the fall in a way that got him the least damage. I once saw him
stumble on the steps to the Shrine and it was a deft shift in his weight that kept him from taking a terrible spill down the stone steps.

But here and now, he was able to push that nature of his aside through a sort of dedicated focus. This was not a tea ceremony, however, Zeke was able to
convey a sense of ceremony through well practiced motions. The brewing was brief and Zeke removed the leaves - another departure from tradition, as I found
out later that leaving the leaves in would make the tea bitter. Going even further, Zeke sweetened the brew with a touch of wildflower honey.

He served me first, then himself. Only once he had served his and taken his first sip did I take mine. The cool touch of the mint blend was refreshing,
despite the heat of the liquid, and the touch of honey allowed it to slide past my gullet with pleasant ease.

"Oishi," I found myself saying.

Zeke smiled. "I'm glad you like it. The main ingredient is from a mint plant that grew in a shady corner outside my grandfather's house. Even
though that corner was always shaded, the plant thrived, producing big, hearty leaves that always brewed a sweet, soothing flavor. My Mother was fond of using
it to sooth my stomach aches when I was young and we always kept a cutting of the original plant with us, even after she died."

"I see," I said, this time smiling. I looked at him again and he had the look of someone who was waiting, politely and patiently. I sighed softly
and said, "I think I am ready to talk now."

Zeke nodded. "Tell me what troubles you, Hino-san."

That again, I thought to myself. If I was about to bear myself to him, then the least I could do was to was to free him of that bit of formality.

"Ezekiel-kun, You can call me Rei from now on."

Zeke smiled gently at me. "Hai. Arigatou, Rei."

I smiled back, then dredged up memories of my past. It wasn't a painless experience for me. I told him of my dim recolections of my Mother and how she
passed away due to a wasting disease. Sensing the hurt, Zeke came closer and took my hands in his.

Some girls in Japan would take it as a breach of personal space. Others would fawn over how romantic it was. I simply took it for what it was; a gesture of
comfort. The harder side of me cried out against the contact with him. For once, I squashed that part of me with a fierce vengence. I wanted this comfort.
It could be considered a selfish act, but I didn't care. I could tell that it was freely given by Zeke.

I went on to tell him how my Father, a politician in the fullest sense, grew more and more distant, focusing on his career and nothing else. Eventually, he
had no time for me and I was left with my Grandfather here at the Shrine.

I told him of how my father would come on my birthdays - the only day he'd even pay any attention to me - and take me to lunch. As I got older and began
to turn into a woman, he would always gift me with a white dress and Casablanca lilies. Though the lilies were my favorite, the gift had no real feeling
behind them. The only meaning behind it all was to present the false front of a caring father whose political career took precedence for the good of Japan - a
noble sacrifice for both Father and Daughter; a sickening farce that I had to suffer through each year.

The only thing that I looked forward to was seeing Kaidou, my
Father's assistant. He would actually pay attention to me and talk to me.

Kaidou was eighteen, just graduated from High School and studying politics. Of course, that didn't matter to me then. I was twlelve, caught up in the
hormonal rush in becoming a woman, and Kaidou being one of the few men that seemed to actually care about me, I had latched onto him as my first crush.

Of course, it wasn't to be. Later, Kaidou became engaged to the daughter of another politician, all to further his own political career. Foolishly, I
demanded that he marry me instead, reasoning that if he wanted to gain political power then I was just as good a choice. Instead, Kaidou kissed me goodbye.
It was that kiss that sealed it for me, for there was no passion in that kiss.

Now in retrospect I see just how silly I had been and I even pitied whoever the girl was that he was supposed to marry. But that didn't mean that those
memories hurt any less for that knowledge.

As I finished recounting my tale to Zeke, he gently placed a tissue in my hands. It was only then that I noticed the tears streaming down my face.

"This is embarassing," I murmured as dried my eyes, sniffing away the excess moisture that was creeping down from my sinuses.

"It's only natural," said Zeke. "Memories like that are painful, whether your actions were foolish or not. That sort of thing hurts no
matter what."

I laughed, somewhat bitterly, at that kernel of truth. Zeke understood pain. It was what made it so easy to talk to him about this.

The tea in my cup was cold. I sipped at it anyways. If anything, it was all the sweeter for the cold, and all the more refreshing. It was Zeke's simple
magic at work once more.

"Arigatou, Zee-kun," I said, adopting the nickname the others used for him. "It is strange. It hurt to bring all that out, but I feel much
better now."

Zeke smiled gently at me. "To quote Pink Floyd, translated of course, 'Shared joy is increased, shared pain is lessened.'"

I gave a small bark of laughter. "Inspiration from rock and roll, Zeke? Somehow that seems very like you."

Zeke shrugged and grinned ruefully. "I have a weakness for the classics. My Mother and Father both loved that band, though they didn't play it often
while driving."

"Oh? Why is that?"

"Pink Floyd has a tendency to inspire driving at unsafe speeds. Sometimes without you even noticing it."

I paused to look at him. He wore a strange expression, as though he wanted to say that what he had said was strange, but true nonetheless.

"You are so weird sometimes," I said to him, for once without any malice behind the words.

Zeke simple smiled and shrugged. "Shikata nai." It cannot be helped. Truer words could not be found, and I somehow didn't care. For once, I
was comfortable with Zeke. In fact, I was as comfortable with him as I was with the other Senshi. I then remembered what my Grandfather had said
earlier.

I think he would make a fine husband for you. His kind are the sort that treat women with the utmost respect. I honestly
think he would make you happy.

Ezekiel Darkwood? My husband?

Not likely. But Zee-kun the good friend was very much possible.

From here, it will be the monster-du-jur. I plan on breaking with the story in that the Cardian comes specifically for Zeke. Then afterwards, Lum Invader
makes her big appearance.

Messages In This Thread
[preview, wip] DSKSWDYHMS? - Chapter 3 - by Black Aeronaut - 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
[No subject] - by Star Ranger4 - 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
[No subject] - by Star Ranger4 - 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 09-19-2009, 07:16 PM
[No subject] - by paladindythe - 09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 09-20-2009, 04:42 AM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 09-20-2009, 06:05 AM
[No subject] - by Evil Midnight Lurker - 09-20-2009, 06:57 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
[No subject] - by Deadpan29 - 10-07-2009, 06:22 PM