Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Fanfic Panel at ACen
No Fanfic Panel at ACen
Doc Mui sent an email a bit ago - it seems that they've decided to *not* have a fanfic panel at ACen this year.  It is most definitely on the Not Approved list on the website (while this is dated April 1, I don't think they'd make an April fool out of this sort of thing)
This will be the 1st year ACen has not had a fanfic panel.  I'm trying to recall if there are any big cons who do not have a fanfic panel - it's pretty much one of those staple things for cons.
Reasons given for denying panels is the usual - a lack of space.  I thought it interesting that at the head of the Approved list was a panel about fandom in Chicago.  (a local-interest panel at the 3rd largest con in the US?  does AX have a panel on fandom in LA?)  Meanwhile, and admitting I may have missed something, the only writing related panel I did see on the Approved list is one listed for an 18+ audience on writing lemons. Nothing for the general audience.
As I said earlier, this will be the 1st year there's not been a fanfic panel at ACen. It's definitely not gotten old - every year it fills its assigned room for its entire assigned timeslot (this includes the years at the Hyatt when it was in 200+ seat rooms and had a 2 hour timeslot).  Being a discussion panel that is driven by what the audience wants to talk about, it remains topical from year to year too. Just seems strange to me I guess.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Messages In This Thread
No Fanfic Panel at ACen - by Jeanne Hedge - 04-02-2010, 08:07 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Now there IS a Fanfic Panel at ACen - by Jeanne Hedge - 04-12-2010, 12:59 AM
[No subject] - by Jeanne Hedge - 04-12-2010, 02:21 AM