Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Non serviam" (A plot bunny?)
Iron Law of Bureaucracy and the adjuster organization
Never saw this movie, had to look up the plot and read the spoilers, I do remember reading the short story way back in the late 1980's or early 1990's that the movie was vaguely based on.

They mentioned something about the Roman empire and the dark ages, which got me to thinking about how old their organization must be and how human the Bureaucrats and "Adjusters" were that were running it.

Ever heard of the "Iron Law of Bureaucracy", I would think it would apply to this adjuster Bureaucracy in a really HUGE way.

A quick thumbnail of the main idea of the Iron Law of B is that "any long term human Bureaucracy will eventually become self serving".

In other words the Bureaucrats running any organization will eventually modify the operating procedures and goals for that organization to serve themselves(the bureaucracy) and not what the organization originally purpose and goals were.

This implies the a Bureaucracy will always grow larger with fewer and fewer workers actually doing the job the Bureaucrats were hired to support.

Good examples include the American FDA and pretty much any large state supported university any where in the world that is more than 75 years old.

You don't see many examples in the free market business world, because they usually suffocate under the huge growth of paper pushing Bureaucrats and go bankrupt unless there is an external force supporting them.

In this adjuster universe I'd be tempted to think the Dark ages and world wars have more to do with rival bureaucrats fighting for positions, than with free will, especially for an organization that supposedly can trace it's history back to the roman empire.

Long term Bureaucracies aren't noted for making sane decisions and their decisions often start matching the criteria used to determine if someone is clinically insane after only say 50 years of uninterrupted operation.

Don't believe me about the insane bureaucracy statement? I ask you to remember the recent idea where a certain government organization actually thought it would help to solve drug related gang crimes if they facilitated these gangs access to weapons.

Now image how badly insane the Bureaucracy for a 2000 plus year old organization will be.

Hopefully this has given you some ideas about expanding this plot bunny.

hmelton

Messages In This Thread
"Non serviam" (A plot bunny?) - by TheTwisted1 - 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Iron Law of Bureaucracy and the adjuster organization - by hmelton - 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
[No subject] - by CattyNebulart - 03-18-2012, 08:36 AM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
[No subject] - by CattyNebulart - 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Tropism both sides - by hmelton - 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM