Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Non serviam" (A plot bunny?)
Tropism both sides
CattyNebulart I was thinking of the almost exact opposite view implied in this movie and using that opposite view formulated into a real world theory (Iron Law) to enhance or expand the science fiction fanfic idea in a direction most people primed by the movie would not be looking. 
Citation?(This isn't the proper forum and I see unions have been brought up so I'll start a thread in "Politics and other Fun" called "IRON LAW")
It wasn't my purpose with using the "Iron Law" to start a argument I was simply taking a plot device or tropism formulated into a theory or Law  by a science fiction writer and using it to expand a science fiction story. (See "IRON LAW" in "Politics and other Fun"
Sorry CattyNebulart, I thought everyone on this list was familiar with the plot device or idea that organization/groups Bureaucracies degenerate and recognized it as a standard plot device.
The "Iron Law "  was proposed or created by a science fiction writer and the above story is science fiction, like all science fiction stories I included a little real world in the idea more to set an example.
Plenty of fiction goes the other direction and claims that the public can't make good decision and needs a organization of experts to make the decisions for them, often in secret.  
In this movie you have the view at it's foundations that humans as a group or "mob" can't make good choices and must have a group of experts make decisions or millions die, justice is destroyed and horrors are unleashed.
Westerns use the plot device of mobs or crowds being evil in the form of Lynchings and not being able to give justice instead you need sheriffs,  judges, lawyers and juries to get justice.
fantasy such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" uses the idea or excuse that if the public ever found out that "vampires were real" then everything would degenerate into middle ages with "Witchcraft trails" and mobs chasing and burning anything that was different.  Buffy also use something close to the "Iron Law" for the watchers council and it's corruption.. 
Also science fiction like the thread starter "The Adjustment Bureau" or "Men in Black" and to a lesser extent the "Stargate" series make use of the idea that somehow there is knowledge that the  public doesn't need to know and that special groups or Bureaucracies must exist to keep this knowledge secret and to deal with it in the name of all humanity.

Again Sorry Catty I was using the "Iron Law" to head the fanfic idea in a direction the movie was priming people not to see.
Also I'd love to see citations for and against the "Iron law" just remember to put them in the thread"IRON LAW  I'm about to start in "Politics and other Fun"
howard melton
God Bless

Messages In This Thread
"Non serviam" (A plot bunny?) - by TheTwisted1 - 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
[No subject] - by CattyNebulart - 03-18-2012, 08:36 AM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
[No subject] - by CattyNebulart - 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Tropism both sides - by hmelton - 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM