Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][GURPS Furries] Worked setting brainstorming.
[RFC][GURPS Furries] Worked setting brainstorming.
I'm thinking of trying to submit to SJGames for GURPS Furries, and I'm trying to come up with something interesting for a setting.
I'm thinking of a "discopunk AIDS Outbreak" type of setup. As an Infinite Worlds timeline, "Moreau-XX" has a POD sometime in the 1800s, when some epidemiologists think HIV/AIDS split off from a strain that only affected Chimpanzees. Due to rubber science and allowing for the setting set-up, somehow the species jump became teratogenic instead of immunosuppresive. This led to many sightings of "werewolves and such rubbish" and "false missing links" until the mid-20th century. Sort of a take on WildCards and "SCABS" from Bryan Derkson's Tales from the Blind Pig universe. So the setting has "normal" humans and "furries" that are the result of a blood-borne pathogen.
"Discopunk" refers to TL 7+1 gizmoes with a strong 1970s aesthetic, where a lot of our current gadget functionality is tied into blocky plastic boxes with tacky faux woodgrain veneer. CB culture for a rough equivalent to social networking and the internet memepool, based on 1950s TV and Movies. Perhaps strongly influenced by Bakshi's version of R Crumb's "Fritz the Cat."
Stuff like this:[Image: amv_alt1977_pocket_hi_fi_ad.png]
Since one of the things I've noticed in Furry fiction is a degree of focus on "persecution issues," and I needed a source of conflict for "native" adventures... "Furry is the New Black" may well be a sidebar.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Messages In This Thread
[RFC][GURPS Furries] Worked setting brainstorming. - by Foxboy - 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM
[No subject] - by ClassicDrogn - 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM