Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story] There's Nothing Better!
RE: [IC][Story] There's Nothing Better!
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
September 10th, 2016
10:15am

"I'm sorry, but I can't make the game today."

The voice at the other end of Rob's phone sounded tired. "I wish you'd told me earlier. Your character was going to have the spotlight this session."

"After the mess we made of last session?"

"The PCs have to get back in their employers' good books somehow. Are you sure you can't make it?"

"Yeah. That new job of mine is weirder that we expected."

"Weirder, how?"

"Remember when you co-wrote Hybrid Theory a few years ago? Almost that weird. So far, only one show's worth of people have shown up."

"So far?"

"The building's only half-filled."

"Oh. Well, tell me about it when you have time."

Two seconds after hanging up, Rob wondered - again - why everyone he knew was taking things so calmly when he told them what was going on.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
September 10th, 2016
10:30am

"Ladies, I cannot stress this enough. Nobody under the age of eighteen is even a trainee peace officer in Canada. As far as we know, nobody else in this city has esper abilities. Keep your abilities secret, and do not attempt to enforce the local by-laws."

Kuroko rolled her eyes. "We get it, Rob-san."

Kazari raised a hand. "What if somebody's life is at stake?"

"That's different. In that case, do what you have to do, and we'll sort out the consequences later."

Ruiko sighed. "That isn't something I need to worry about," she muttered.

Rob matched her volume. "I seem to recall somebody shutting off a Capacity Down system."

"That's true. I even found the baseball bat in my room here."

Rob raised an eyebrow. "Did everyone else find something you own in your apartments?"

"My violin was there," Mikoto replied quickly.

Kazari nodded. "I found my laptop computer."

"My leather jacket was in the closet," Mii added.

Everyone looked at Kuroko. "I'd rather not say. What about you, Rob-san?"

"I have all my stuff. At least, I have everything that fits - the rest is in a storage locker - but I expected to be living here."

"At least you have something other than one set of clothes."

"Right. We need to go shopping. However, today is the first Saturday after the new school year started, so the stores will be very crowded. We'll get absolute necessities today, and wait until Monday to get more."

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
September 10th, 2016
10:40am

"You weren't kidding about the stores being crowded," Mii said.

"And this is a less-popular shopping center," replied Rob. "The only reason most people shop here is because there's a bus transfer point here. But it has stores that sell clothes that aren't cheap, so let's get you five a couple of changes of clothing each. We can come back later, or we can go somewhere else and get some better-quality clothes for you."

"Buses? Not trains?"

"There's only one million people in Ottawa. But we're building a train system." Rob thought for a moment. "Let's come back after lunch, and we'll hop on a bus to downtown. We can do some of the things tourists do when they visit the city."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by robkelk - 09-09-2016, 02:50 PM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 09-19-2016, 02:26 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 09-20-2016, 05:21 AM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 09-28-2016, 02:52 AM
RE: [IC][Story] There's Nothing Better! - by robkelk - 10-02-2016, 02:46 AM
[No subject] - by kestrel404 - 10-10-2016, 05:54 PM