Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a Heads-Up
Just a Heads-Up
Some time in the next week, I'll be moving the site from Eclipse.net to its own domain, hosted by my provider, Netcarrier.
I'm doing this because my site's been living for the past decade on what amounts to a complimentary vanity webspace provided as part of a dial-up account, and some of the development tools and software that I thought was available to me where it is now actually aren't.  And I haven't actually dialed up to the dial-up account in something like six years, if not more.
Moving give me lots more disk space, more support for expanded features on the site -- like the dynamic blogging system I'm going to be installing on the top page now that I've got the basics for that worked out -- and a distinctive URL.  At the same time, though, Peg and I get to keep our Eclipse.net email addresses.  And to top it all off, it's going to cost about 60% of what the dial-up account cost me.  (Plus registration for the site name, of course...  but I'll be looking for a good inexpensive registrar.  Any suggestions?)
The old site will be redirecting traffic tot he new site for a while, too, so no one (least of all Google!) will lose track of me.
Right now my next step is to select a good domain name.  "Accessdenied" and "access-denied" are both already taken in most TLDs, although I can get "drunkards-walk" in either .COM or .NET.  Or I can do my name.  I'm surprised at how undecided I am...  When things start moving after that, I'll let folks know.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Messages In This Thread
Just a Heads-Up - by Bob Schroeck - 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
[No subject] - by Wiregeek - 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 02-12-2011, 01:47 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 02-12-2011, 05:49 AM