Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news the third

Interesting. I wonder if this means that we can expect antiwar protestors to come back from wherever they've been hiding for the past eight years.

The White House says it'll do better.
They have until the mid terms to prove it.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I can imagine the anger if Trump supporters had put up similar cartoons about Hillary, but it appears to only be offensive if republicans are the publishers.

Can you imagine the outcry if Trump supporters rioted when a Democrat was invited to speak at a university. Can you imagine the outrage if Trump supporters viciously attacked an Hillary Supporter during a protest.

Perhaps I've just missed the numerous examples of violence from Trump supporters, but from across the pond it seems the threats and violence are all coming from Hillary supporters.

Given that Hillary is on video calling for opposition websites to be banned and for opponents to be sent to "Fun Camps" during the campaign, I don't see how Democrats can keep a straight face when they accuse Donald Trump of being a Nazi.
Perhaps there are some CNN "Facts" I have missed but it appears that Americans are looking for fascists in the wrong place.

Mark

Quote:skyfire2020 wrote:
Perhaps there are some CNN "Facts" I have missed but it appears that Americans are looking for fascists in the wrong place.

Mark
If the travel ban is any indication, nope.  It looks like Trump means to follow thru on those campaign promises.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:skyfire2020 wrote:
In America, "fascist" is used by Democrats as a synonym for Republican. It's got nothing to do with actual fascism or lack thereof--it's all about what team someone plays for.

Quote:khagler wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if this means that we can expect antiwar protestors to come back from wherever they've been hiding for the past eight years.
You know, fair point. Was it a case of the media not covering it as much (bias is a thing, no matter how much the 'Fake News' crap Trump throws around is BS), or was there a legitimate drop in the protest numbers? And if so, exactly when did the drop off happen? Was it a time/exhaustion issue, which given how long it went on is a plausible explanation. Was it tied to Obama's election and never regained steam, which is somewhat disappointing. Or was it around the time they announced the war in Iraq was over? Because in the last case, while it's usually waved off as peacekeeping, or supporting local governments, it's kinda hard not to justify it as a war.

Matrix Dragon Wrote:
Quote:khagler wrote:Interesting. I wonder if this means that we can expect antiwar protestors to come back from wherever they've been hiding for the past eight years.
You know, fair point. Was it a case of the media not covering it as much (bias is a thing, no matter how much the 'Fake News' crap Trump throws around is BS), or was there a legitimate drop in the protest numbers? And if so, exactly when did the drop off happen? Was it a time/exhaustion issue, which given how long it went on is a plausible explanation. Was it tied to Obama's election and never regained steam, which is somewhat disappointing. Or was it around the time they announced the war in Iraq was over? Because in the last case, while it's usually waved off as peacekeeping, or supporting local governments, it's kinda hard not to justify it as a war.
There have been anti-war demonstrators in Ukraine since Crimea was annexed by Russia - I'm not aware of any demonstrators active on this side of the Atlantic at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We've all but pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Sure, we have 'Advisors' over there. But it's not the 'Occupation' that it was before.

Also, Trump wants to rely more on Spec Ops and Drone Attacks. So if the anti-war protestors do come back, it will be in a form we're not entirely familiar with.

But believe me, there WILL be protests.

Analysis: Make satire great again
--
Rob Kelk

Wow. Good news in this thread, for the first time in a while.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Actual events, in the order the took place:

Trump tweets about how Christians are executed in the Middle East "in large numbers" and that an end must be put to the "horror."

A white conservative male (who is known to have spoken admiringly of Trump) attacks a place of worship, killing six non-Christians.

Trump tweets about Trump's replacement on The Apprentice.

A non-white draws a weapon in the Louvre, shouts about Allah, and is taken into custody.

Trump tweets to congratulate the arresting officers.
--
Rob Kelk

9th Circuit Court of appeal upheld travel ban stay
Trump dug his grave on this one.
Quote:In biting criticism the court found, “Rather than present evidence to
explain the need for the Executive Order, the Government has taken the
position that we must not review its decision at all.” This too was a
complete failure of lawyering. Not a single affidavit or other showing
attesting to the imminent harm to American national security was
produced. In fairness to the executive branch’s lawyers though, maybe
there simply is not any.
Trump's attack on the judiciary did not help his case.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

He'll see them in court. I mean, HE'LL SEE THEM IN COURT!! The all caps is how you know he's serious. I think the reality of his position, with all the responsibilities and limitations he honestly never believed existed, is starting to get to him. Badly. At this rate, he's not going to last another month before he throws the podium out of the way and attacks a reporter that dares to suggest he's not actually God-Emperor of the Americas.

(Seriously, no evidence? Just 'shut up and do what we say'?)

I fully expect he'll try to fire the entire country and hire a new country to replace it.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
 I think the reality of his position, with all the responsibilities and limitations he honestly never believed existed, is starting to get to him. Badly. At this rate, he's not going to last another month before he throws the podium out of the way and attacks a reporter that dares to suggest he's not actually God-Emperor of the Americas.
Funny you should mention that

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

BTW, something that's not in the national news. There's slots that nominees had either pulled out or nixed by the White House. Also Do not be surprised if some of the Trump cabinet gets fired or pulls out before the mid terms.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I suspect we'll see them go one by one as Trump needs scapegoats for various debacles.
-- Bob
---------

And now for something completely different: Donæld the Unready, King of Mercia. #BuildTheShieldWall #MakeMerciaGreatAgain
If this all goes over your head, you can read up here.
EDIT: I was going to add this to the Donald's ATT page, but I can't think of the trope.  There has to be a trope where modern characters form the troupe for a historical setting; Urusei Yatsura does this all the time.  Is it just Elseworld?
-- ∇×V

Quote:Is it just Elseworld?
I think so.

PayPal freezes Canadian media company's account over story about Syrian family

Which leads me to realize the First Amendment only says "Congress shall make no law...", and leaves out "The President shall make no Executive Order..." and "The Supreme Court shall make no ruling..." - and says nothing at all about private companies.
--
Rob Kelk

Not like it's the first time PayPal has acted like ignorant jerks until the media paid closer attention to what it did -- but yeah, troubling.
-- Bob
---------

Menwhile, the white house has declared that the Presidents Power shall not be questioned

Really?

This is too surreal to be real.....

((O.o))

There are no words.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Here's the gist of it:
Here's the key exchange, with "Face the Nation's" John Dickerson (emphasis added):
Quote:DICKERSON: When
I talked to Republicans on the Hill, they wonder, what in the White
House -- what have you all learned from this experience with the
executive order?
MILLER: Well, I think that it's been an
important reminder to all Americans that we have a judiciary that has
taken far too much power and become, in many cases, a supreme branch of
government. One unelected judge in Seattle cannot remake laws for the
entire country. I mean this is just crazy, John, the idea that you have a
judge in Seattle say that a foreign national living in Libya has an
effective right to enter the United States is -- is -- is beyond
anything we've ever seen before.
The end result of this, though, is that our
opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to
take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our
country are very substantial and will not be questioned
So in other words, Trump's White House is claiming divine authority here. All those in favor?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Trudeau resisting Trump's weird handshake is the biggest display of dominance in the history of Canada.
Boss move by Trudeau, who has realized that looking strong is the only trick Trump has.  I, for one, welcome my new Canadian overlords.
-- ∇×V

ordnance11 Wrote:BTW, something that's not in the national news. There's slots that nominees had either pulled out or nixed by the White House. Also Do not be surprised if some of the Trump cabinet gets fired or pulls out before the mid terms.
I'm not surprised that it happened. I am surprised that it happened only 24 days after the appointment.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/michael-fl ... -1.3981476
--
Rob Kelk