Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossovers that Should Be: Super Double Bonus Round

Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

As a pair of Characters to switch, I propose switching The Rivers Tam, and Song. Realizing that one is capable of finding me, I will promptly surrender for my beating now as Ms Song, and her husband wish to have words with me.

Horseclans / Lord of Light
The two settings actually have a surprising amount in common. Both include the technology for moving minds from body to body, bootstrapping immortality. In the Horseclans, this technology is possessed of the 'Witchmen' who use it in a vampirish fashion to prolong their lives at the expense of their victims (it was actually developed to be used in interstellar voyages) in a post-nuclear apocalypse North America. In Lord of Light, it's used to allow the worthy to 'reincarnate' into cloned bodies, a process jealously guarded by the priesthood of the 'Gods', on a world colonised by humans fleeing 'vanished Urath'.

In addition both settings have considerable psychic powers developing. In the Horseclans, 'mindspeak' is reasonably widespread with some individuals able to cloud the minds of others and even a handful of 'Undying' who rule as slightly constitutional god-kings and queens (or subjected to tortures sufficient to kill them if they aren't in the Confederation). In Lord of Light, cultivation of 'mutant' capabilities such as a death-gaze, control of electromagnetics and so forth has become something of a science and those who master them are deemed Gods and join the ancient and repeatedly reincarnated rulers of the colony.

The prospect of someone from Lord of Light (Yama for example) building a starship and returning to Urath where they become embroiled in the conflict between the Confederation and the Witchmen seems plausible enough.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

When the world started recognizing humanoid monsters as having the same human rights, Joyce Summers signs up to host a Monster Girl to stay for a school year.

drakensis Wrote:Horseclans / Lord of Light

The two settings actually have a surprising amount in common. Both include the technology for moving minds from body to body, bootstrapping immortality. In the Horseclans, this technology is possessed of the 'Witchmen' who use it in a vampirish fashion to prolong their lives at the expense of their victims (it was actually developed to be used in interstellar voyages) in a post-nuclear apocalypse North America. In Lord of Light, it's used to allow the worthy to 'reincarnate' into cloned bodies, a process jealously guarded by the priesthood of the 'Gods', on a world colonised by humans fleeing 'vanished Urath'.

In addition both settings have considerable psychic powers developing. In the Horseclans, 'mindspeak' is reasonably widespread with some individuals able to cloud the minds of others and even a handful of 'Undying' who rule as slightly constitutional god-kings and queens (or subjected to tortures sufficient to kill them if they aren't in the Confederation). In Lord of Light, cultivation of 'mutant' capabilities such as a death-gaze, control of electromagnetics and so forth has become something of a science and those who master them are deemed Gods and join the ancient and repeatedly reincarnated rulers of the colony.

The prospect of someone from Lord of Light (Yama for example) building a starship and returning to Urath where they become embroiled in the conflict between the Confederation and the Witchmen seems plausible enough.
Too many Ganesh worshipping Armenians for me.
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

Someone was possessed by a slightly different entity...
...with a *SNAP* and a silvery flash, a tall, dark-haired man in expensive robes appeared at the front of the Defense against the Dark Arts classroom, leaning casually against the desk. Everyone gasped, and Hermionie even went so far as to begin to exclaim, "That's im-".
The new teacher snapped his fingers at her and in sarcastic tones said, "Do not *ever* use that word in my presence, MS. Granger." His gaze swept over the classroom, and all conversation halted. "My name, students, is Quirinus Quirrell. You may refer to me as Professor Quirrell, Professor, or privately as 'that damned hardnosed bastard', but I would prefer it if you would just call me - " and here he smiled a winning smile that Gilderoy Lockheart would have been hard-put to match on his best day, " - Q!"

Captain Sam D. Starfall.

Quote:Jinx999 wrote:
Captain Sam D. Starfall.
Other than to be utterly polite to his Engineer, I have no idea.  So you will need to provide more context.

Having a middle initial "D" is a major thing in One Piece, and Sam always wanted to be a pirate.

An Act of ROB has transported Tony Stark to the Battletech universe, circa 3055.

Fortunately, he's found an ally to help him get settled in and start building up.

Unfortunately for the Battletech universe, said friend is Lizzie Ngo.

Stand back and watch the fireworks.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

No idea who Lizzie Ngo is, sadly. But I know there's a version of Buckaroo Banzai in the (classic) BTech universe....

"You have Cavaliers? I have Avengers. And a Hulk. Usually. When he's not off wandering the world in sackcloth and ashes trying to do penance for things that really weren't his fault and I keep telling him that but will he listen? No, and then I have to chase him down across half the planet and drag him back home to let Pepper talk him down because he'll listen to Pepper and not to me, which really isn't fair, but she's got all the people skills in this relationship so it makes a good division of labor and WOW you guys have some really strong coffee in this universe can I get some more please?"

Quote:Duane Peters wrote:
...with a *SNAP* and a silvery flash, a tall, dark-haired man in expensive robes appeared at the front of the Defense against the Dark Arts classroom, leaning casually against the desk. Everyone gasped, and Hermionie even went so far as to begin to exclaim, "That's im-".
The new teacher snapped his fingers at her and in sarcastic tones said, "Do not *ever* use that word in my presence, MS. Granger." His gaze swept over the classroom, and all conversation halted. "My name, students, is Quirinus Quirrell. You may refer to me as Professor Quirrell, Professor, or privately as 'that damned hardnosed bastard', but I would prefer it if you would just call me - " and here he smiled a winning smile that Gilderoy Lockheart would have been hard-put to match on his best day, " - Q!"
  If the "Harry Potter" universe this is from were the "Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived" branch, this would be even weirder.  Because that's a magicless Bond-type universe, complete with Bond!Q.

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:
No idea who Lizzie Ngo is, sadly. But I know there's a version of Buckaroo Banzai in the (classic) BTech universe....

"You have Cavaliers? I have Avengers. And a Hulk. Usually. When he's not off wandering the world in sackcloth and ashes trying to do penance for things that really weren't his fault and I keep telling him that but will he listen? No, and then I have to chase him down across half the planet and drag him back home to let Pepper talk him down because he'll listen to Pepper and not to me, which really isn't fair, but she's got all the people skills in this relationship so it makes a good division of labor and WOW you guys have some really strong coffee in this universe can I get some more please?"
Definitely a good speech. Smile
Liz Ngo is one of the protagonists of a series of much-loved Battletech fanfics by a gent who goes by the handle "Cannonshop". She's the Duchess of Kowloon, a minor nowhere planet on the Lyran fringe, generally poorly regarded and considered unimportant - except for being the home of Ngo Industries, one of the very few surviving industrial tool & machining megacorporations in the Inner Sphere capable of building the tools needed to build things like 'mech factories. Most of the rest having been bombed into nonexistence over the course of the Succession Wars because they're critical suppliers for rebuilding the military industry.
The stories tend to be interesting and well thought out, and deal with characters who are more realistic than the four-color heroes and villains that populate most of the BT novels.
I've got a link to most of the stories here somewhere, culled from the several iterations of BT forums...
http://kagetsuki.us/perpgame/Kowloon.zip
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

A crossover in one line:

"Game over, man! Game over! User wins!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Genma Saotome wants his son Ranma to marry a girl called Akane - Akane Isshiki, that is. After all, Akane's grandfather is the famous Professor Isshiki who has dozens of patents for the Manfestation Engine that powers basically the entire world and should be correspondingly wealthy. What can possibly go wrong?
1. Professor Isshiki gave away most of his patents following an accident seven years ago. Between that and funding his continued research the family are scraping by at best.
2. Due to a laboratory accident, Professor Isshiki is currently a stuffed toy.
3. Giant monsters keep attacking the immediate vicinity and Ranma refuses to leave until he's beaten one.
D for Drakensis

I started out thinking about a Dresden Files/Indiana Jones crossover. I mean, think about it -- their respective skills sets mesh well, they both deadpan snarkers, and Indy's already clued into the Secret History of his own canonical world. Only problem is, you'd have to era-hop one of them.

Then it hit me: Harry Dresden and Lara Croft. Same skills match-up, but even better interpersonal conflict, as Lara realizes how easily she can troll poor straightlaced, repressed Harry....

"Oh, come on, Harry, you've seen me naked before."
"That was when we were picking giant leeches off each other in the Yucatan, not in a 5-star hotel. And you weren't clean, and smelling good, and wearing... almost-wearing... I'm going for a walk."

And you just know that Lara and Bob will hit it off, at least over toying with Harry.

And Maggie'll turn into DJ Croft, if Harry's not careful, once she meets her new sorta-stepmom (this, of course, assumes Murphy is out of the picture -- I can't see fitting her and Lara into the same story).

Hmm, but surely Lara Croft is Lara Raith's professional name in the archeology field? 
D for Drakensis

Lady Croft, only has her Masters degree in archaeology, she doesn't teach professionally.
Mr Jones Junior, who keeps running short classroom hours at end of every year, [REDACTED] for grant Monies to keep his Office at the University.
Mr Jones Senior, is professionally retired as an instructor.

Funny thing is all three would rather spend time in a library researching Mesopotamian culture than be in the field.
Then there's that poor smoe that keeps finding evil animated mummies whenever he goes into the field.

just for the Chaos that would ensue, and the Righteous Kicking of not so wizardly Arse. Lets replace all of the Smurfs with a bloody lot of Wee Free men.

Doctor Atomic Robo Tesla discovers that the top secret military conspiracy Majestic 12 has deployed to neutralize one of his companies competitors in the fields of Super Science. When he and a Tesladyne Action Science Team arrive, they find Black Mesa under siege, not just from a corrupt military organisation, but an alien invasion from another dimension.

Atomic Robo/Half Life. Bonus points if we go with Freeman's Mind.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Doctor Atomic Robo Tesla discovers that the top secret military conspiracy Majestic 12 has deployed to neutralize one of his companies competitors in the fields of Super Science. When he and a Tesladyne Action Science Team arrive, they find Black Mesa under siege, not just from a corrupt military organisation, but an alien invasion from another dimension.

Man, Tuesday comes early around here.

Matrix Dragon Wrote:Doctor Atomic Robo Tesla discovers that the top secret military conspiracy Majestic 12 has deployed to neutralize one of his companies competitors in the fields of Super Science. When he and a Tesladyne Action Science Team arrive, they find Black Mesa under siege, not just from a corrupt military organisation, but an alien invasion from another dimension.

I could do something with that one actually.
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

Arda is dying.
Arda has been dying ever since before the First Age, and that is a time long since past. So too has come and passed the Second Age, as has the Third.

The House of Aragon may have succeeded and surpassed the House of Elendil in the morning of the Fourth Age, but that once great and noble House has fallen far from its former lofty heights. A once united West destroyed itself in the wars of the latter Fourth Age and is now divided by hatred and beset from within and without. Dwarf has turned against Man who has turned against Elf who has turned against Dwarf and back again, while the Hobbits have been forced from the Shire and now labour under yokes and by wills that are not their own. The Ainur have retreated from this Middle Earth, towards a Valinor that is not beset by the foibles and discordance of the mortal races as they tear the world apart in their greed and pride.
The Great Song is failing. Within the century the Ainulindale, the mighty work of the gods who sang Arda will fall apart into meaningless noise, cacophonous screeches and horrors as yet unimaginable for those who live within the world shaped by it.
A new Age must come, and without the Ainur to help give shape to the song it falls to the races of Arda itself to try.
But even if all the races united.
But even if all the races learned how the sing the many parts of the songs of the gods.
But even if all the races did so perfectly.
It could not ever possibly be enough to perform even a tiny part of the Great Song well enough to stretch the time left with so much as a single day.

Arda despairs, for it knows it is doomed.

And yet, there is a small group with an audacious plot. Many would call it heresy.
To create a machine and give it life. To create a machine and give it emotion. To create a machine that can Sing and lead the Great Music into its intended purpose.
But a machine is not enough. One machine is not enough, for there are so many parts to sing that even the Ainur sang together. It must be more than just another machine, living as it may be.
And yet, even if there were enough machines to sing it would still not matter. No matter how many of them there are all their voices raised in a grand choir would be drowned by the distance and the Ainur's refusal to hear.
No, to usher in the Fifth Age they must find Ar-Ciel, the Tower of the World, climb up its many steps, brave its dangers and pray they have the wisdom and strength left to become the Maidens That Sung The Hymns That Spoke With The Gods.

Or, in less flowery text; Ar Tonelico and the world of the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Because the universal principles of both are basically pinned on a piece of choral music.

You mean, not only do we have to walk willingly into Mordor, and convince several million Ork to calmly lay down their weapons, we have to teach them how to sing?
The turtles did time travel
"Get your stinking flippers off me, you damn dirty ninjas!"