Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shakin' Up the East Coast

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Unfortunately for us, the predicted path takes the eye directly over us. Fun, fun, fun.
At least you won't have to shovel out from under this, unlike the big snowstorm last winter.

Here's hoping the storm drains don't fail under the load.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Better board up your place real good, Bob.
I'll be doing that tonight and tomorrow morning.
Quote:Here's hoping the drains don't fail under the load.
Well, we're well uphill from the river, and our storm drains all feed down into it. They shouldn't have any backups.
Quote:Best of luck Bob.
Thanks, we're going to need it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

[Image: BasfE.jpg]

And maybe some Hurricane humour. Best I can offer is good vibrations really

Okay, the most recent video I've seen puts Irene at category 2 right now and possibly category 1 when it reaches us. That makes me a bit less concerned, but I'm still planning on putting plywood over the windows tonight and tomorrow morning -- the storm is expected to take 21 hours to pass over us. Even at bottom of the hurricane power chart that's a lot of time to do damage.
-- Bob
---------

It should give you guys an idea of the state of drought and heat wave in Texas when I say that I'm envious of all the rain that the Northeast is getting. Yes, it's that bad down here.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Here in PR it left us with 20 inches of rain and a lot of damage on the east northeast part of the island.  And when it hit, it was barely entering tropical storm status, seems it went to a gym during the night and became a Cat.1 coming out of the north side.
Here are some photos of the event: http://encrypted.google....amp;biw=1024&bih=447
And yes, there are people stupid enough to try to surf during a storm.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Latest update: Somerset county and four other counties here in NJ are no longer under a hurricane warning; instead we are under a "mere" tropical storm warning. After due consideration and consultation of weather authorities, we've decided to not board up the windows, instead settling for dropping the storm windows and taping everything. We have, though, spent a couple hours removing everything that could get blown about from the yard except for the flower baskets on the front porch, which will get shoved into the garage at the last moment.
-- Bob
---------

Don't forget to play the first BGC soundtrack tomorrow.

(Okay, with the revised forecast, the preferred song would be Kon'ya wa Tropical Storm... but it's the thought that counts, right?)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ebony Wrote:It should give you guys an idea of the state of drought and heat wave in Texas when I say that I'm envious of all the rain that the Northeast is getting. Yes, it's that bad down here.
Yeah, down here in San Antonio they're thinking of instituting Stage 3 of their water conservation program.  What is Stage 3?  Well, to give you an idea, all car washes get shut down.  Period.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  Also, you know how in most restaurants you get served ice waters right after being seated?  Not at Stage 3.  If you want something to drink, you have to ask for it.  Oh, and no watering of lawns.  Ever.  If that means that everything in your yard turns into dust, then so be it.
Gonna suck balls here in Texas the next few months if we don't get a hurricane or even a tropical depression up here.

Quote:Don't forget to play the first BGC soundtrack tomorrow.
Well, okay, now I can't use that joke in 8 hours...

We're done here except for the taping and wedging the sliding doors. I'll be doing that in a few minutes, when I stop sweating from the last of the yard prep. (We bought some PVC pipe to extend the downspouts a few more feet away from the house in a couple spots. And I noticed one of our gutters was sagging, so we had to improvise a prop to hold it up -- which I hope itself holds up to the wind...) Humidity outside is astronomical. Temperature is still in the 70s. Heavy overcast, occasional drizzle.
-- Bob
---------

blackaeronaut Wrote:Yeah, down here in San Antonio they're thinking of instituting Stage 3 of their water conservation program.  What is Stage 3?  Well, to give you an idea, all car washes get shut down.  Period.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  Also, you know how in most restaurants you get served ice waters right after being seated?  Not at Stage 3.  If you want something to drink, you have to ask for it.  Oh, and no watering of lawns.  Ever.  If that means that everything in your yard turns into dust, then so be it.
Well, one can argue (I don't do so forceably) that having a large green lawn in an arid region isn't exactly a good thing, and that you should conserve water as much as you can even if it's a wet year.
Of course, I tend to take overly long showers, so I'm not one to throw those stones.
So... morbidly curious if there's a "Stage 4" to the water conservation program?
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

That's where they reclaim the precious bodily fluids of those who do not contribute meaningfully to society. *nod, Dead Baby Comedy Grin*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Front edge of Irene is here. Rain started about 15 minutes ago.
ETA:  And now, to switch catastrophes of conversation for a moment:  The First Zombie-Proof House.
-- Bob
---------

I had not realized that this thread had shifted topic away from the Earthquake and was talking about the Hurricane (tropical storm?) Irene now. Therefore I'd kind of been ignoring it until out of curiosity (how can they -still- be talking about the earthquake?) I checked. 

Stay safe those of you in Irene's path. My advice? Stay put and hunker down. If you HAVE to drive anywhere (emergency supplies - medical attention etc)  - pay attention to elevation and stay out of low lying areas, lest you get hemmed in by flood waters. Don't trust that you can just drive through what looks like shallow water. Even a single foot of water crossing a road can push a car off! Don't risk it!

Anyway - hope there's no major damage or inconvenience (like the power going out etc). Best of luck!

Thanks, Logan.

Rain's gotten noticeably heavier in the last hour. No real wind to speak of yet, though, although that's to be expected as we're still getting just the outliers of the storm. The latest path projection I've seen -- as in about 5 seconds ago -- seems to indicate the storm is moving more slowly than before; where we were expecting the eye to enter NJ at Cape May late tonight, it now appears to be expected early tomorrow morning, presumably dawnish or just before. Then again, the eye appears to be at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, which isn't that far from Cape May...
Just checked Weather.com -- the number of counties getting "just" a Tropical Storm Warning instead of a Hurricane Warning is larger now.  I hope that's a good sign.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, either I got bad info earlier, or the storm is accelerating. Weather.com is now saying the storm will be in NYC by dawn. To which I must say just whoa.
-- Bob
---------

Irene is mostly through her in Kensington, Md. Some power flickers hopefully will not lose power as has been the case in last year or so in which pepco has proven to be lousy at fixing things after major storms roll through.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

We made it through here with no problems. Power stayed on all night, and as far as we can tell from an inside inspection we took no damage from either wind or water. When the rain outside lets up, which it should within a couple hours, we'll go outside and check the roof and the siding. But if the other houses in the neighborhood are any indication, we should be fine there, too.

And about an hour ago, I heard that the eye had collapsed over New York Harbor and that Irene was now just a tropical storm.
-- Bob
---------

"Just" a tropical storm can be devastating, too. There are flash flood watches like crazy all over New England.

*trying to Stay Dry* -- Fox
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

Well, yes, it can. But from my point of view, well, I knew we could weather a tropical storm without a qualm (forgive the pun). A hurricane dead-on, though, that was something out of our experience.

And good luck, Fox.... We're still under flood watch here, too. Apparently most of the major roads in Somerset county are underwater right now.
-- Bob
---------

Just when I thought we were out of the woods...

Part of a neighbor's tree just fell on the house, atop the garage. It hasn't damaged the roof -- yet -- but it is pinning down our power line. If it shifts further it might the line down. The neighbors and we have already reached the power company and let them know, plus I've called a tree service we've used in the past as a backup. Might be tomorrow before anything can be done.

More on this as it develops.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Just when I thought we were out of the woods...

Part of a neighbor's tree just fell on the house, atop the garage. It hasn't damaged the roof -- yet -- but it is pinning down our power line. If it shifts further it might the line down. The neighbors and we have already reached the power company and let them know, plus I've called a tree service we've used in the past as a backup. Might be tomorrow before anything can be done.

More on this as it develops.
That's what you get for posting, "We made it through here with no problems."
You wait until the storm is over for at least a day before making that sort of declaration. To do otherwise is basically asking for it.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I've had mostly annoyances, myself, but I'm MUCH further inland. Due to my proximity to an arterial waterway, I've had to deal with Flooding. Mainly because my place of employment is just about kissing the river and its attendant wetlands and such. So, I pretty much had to "thread the needle" of alleys and back ways to get from the parking lot at work, to the main road where it wasn't flooded.

That said I had the fun moment of watching a Semi Trailer bull through the flooding that would have covered the hood of my car.

-- James Nicoll

Update.

Tree's still on the house. Power and Net are still coming in. PSE&G still hasn't shown up.

Managed to get to work, despite the New Brunswick/Somerset area being so heavily flooded and/or blocked that the CBS-radio traffic copter from Manhattan came down and said, basically, "holy crap" when they saw it. Left half an hour early, got there 10 minutes late (4 of which were because a drive-thru fast food place took excessively long with my breakfast). Was the second person there, and was told to go home because there was no power. So I'm back home now.

Peggy's home, mainly because she's cut off from her job more completely than I was, and because she has spare vacation days to take.

Beautiful sunny day, late spring temperatures. I can live with this.
-- Bob
---------