Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter in Ottawa

Come winter in the Lonestar State... when it gets really miserable out there, you can enjoy the comforts of a central heating system with a natural gas-fired furnace. It may not be radiant heat with its wonderfully warm floors, but by god does it rarely ever fuck up.

We've had rain the past couple of nights (Albany, NY) and only a light dusting of snow a couple of times in the past few weeks. It doesn't really seem like winter here.

You can have our snow squall - come and get it!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We've had light snow overnight and this morning. That translates to a half-foot of accumulation in 12 hours.

Schools are still open... but the buses aren't running.
--
Rob Kelk

Had a winter storm alert here in Niagara that got pulled at 4:00 AM this morning. About the same amount of snow here.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

I spoke too soon apparently, we got about 1/2" of snow last night. Not enough to cause problems, but enough to signify that winter is indeed here.

We in Ypsilanti, Michigan had a rather heavy-looking snowfall yesterday and into the night, but all today the streets have been clear (albeit wet) with traffic moving at normal rates.  The thermometer outside my window currently reads 2 degrees C.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

We're getting off lightly compared to you guys. Dusting of snow last night, wiped out by a subsequent rainfall. It has yet to drop below freezing for more than a few hours.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's still snowing. So far, we have 17cm - and we got off easy compared to some of the suburbs.

Some flights have been cancelled. Police have responded to 48 collisions since midnight. And my office luncheon was cancelled.
--
Rob Kelk

Its... well, still in the 60's out here in Brentwood, Ca.

(runs like heck)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Don't worry, Star. Soon Nixon will be elected, disco will be invented, and you'll be in the 70s in no time.
-- Bob
---------

We got a couple of inches of snow in WNY. About half of it melted over the course of the day. We're in that "cold nights, warm-ish - okay, above freezing - days" phase.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I'm recalling just now how freaky it felt, stationed at Fort Polk in Louisiana, being able to sit out on the barracks front steps in shorts and flip-flops in mid-December.  Of course, the minus side of that equation was the ungodly humid heat of mid-Spring through mid-Fall. 
-----

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
We're getting off lightly compared to you guys. Dusting of snow last night, wiped out by a subsequent rainfall. It has yet to drop below freezing for more than a few hours.
I spoke too soon -- we've got 48 hours of sub-freezing weather heading our way starting tomorrow.
-- Bob
---------

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands; drizzle (for the past 2 days) and a balmy average of something like 6 degrees Celsius. Well, balmy to you guys. We've had a couple of weeks with sub-zero temperature nights, but all together? Nope, not cold at all. Just really really grey, foggy, clouded and miserable.

Frankly, most here would prefer a few centimeters of snow and clear skies.

Your weather, compared to ours, isn't "balmy" - it's "tropical". Temperature forecast for Ottawa: today -6C, tonight -16C, Thursday -14C, Thursday night -25C, Friday -13C. Time to wear a sweater under the coat.
--
Rob Kelk

Someone should steal all the hyphens from your weatherman.
-- Bob
---------

Clear skies, clear roads, bright and sunny ... and -7° C. 
-----

Gonna be a high of -13 C for us in Denver on Saturday.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Getting a nice snow squall tonight and another storm is about to sweep through on Friday evening.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

I spoke too soon -- we've got 48 hours of sub-freezing weather heading our way starting tomorrow.
It's here now, came in late last night and we're in the 20s (F) with 35mph winds for single-digit windchills.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Someone should steal all the hyphens from your weatherman.
Can't do that - it would break the new http://ns1.easternontariomedia.com/inde ... t-politics]supercomputer.
--
Rob Kelk

13 degrees F and relatively clear here, just south of the Mason-Dixon line (literally, we're about 5 miles south of the Pennsylvania border). Not much in the way of snow currently. Projected low of 3 degrees tonight. Better than Pittsburgh; it's supposed to be down in the negatives tonight.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

We are expecting, after the windchill, a high of -30C Friday.

I still love this city... but I'm staying indoors as much as possible.
--
Rob Kelk

2:30pm, -16C right now... and I just cleared my husband's car, and shoveled 5-6 inches off the driveway and right of way sidewalk. I'm not planning on going back outside today.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor