Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea rattles sabers, demands attention, candy

Valles Wrote:If North Korea can get a nuclear warhead to Japan, I will eat my shoes.

(I don't own a hat.)

The last time I looked, they had plenty of fishing boats... which don't show up on radar, BTW. Sure, surface delivery is slower than a missile, but if you're launching the first strike, you don't care about that.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:The last time I looked, they had plenty of fishing boats... which don't show up on radar, BTW. Sure, surface delivery is slower than a missile, but if you're launching the first strike, you don't care about that.
Submarines, too. And a sub is even more invisible than a fishing boat unless the adversary's -- i.e., USN and JMSDF -- sonar people are sweeping the right places at the right times, and on their toes. A sub could carry a bigger payload more reliably than any of their missiles, too, which helps 'cause I suspect the DPRK hasn't yet licked the problem of making their nukes not be bulky, cumbersome things.
I don't insist that's what they'd use -- but if they're smart, or at least cunning, they're at least looking into the option. I certainly hope our people are thinking about undersea countermeasures along with ballistic missile defense. We worry about missiles so much, but as early as the Sixties (maybe the Fifties), writers were speculating about freighters with cobalt bombs in the holds scuttled close offshore.
Edit: on a lighter note, I'd like to point out that, as I noticed years ago, one very popular manga and anime features an obvious North Korean agent. Belldandy works for "Commie-sama." In these degenerate times, when Moscow and Beijing have betrayed the Revolution, that can only mean she serves the Great Leader Kim Il-sung, His Son the Dear Leader Kim Jong-il, and His Grandson Whatever-the-Hell-His-Name-Is.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

DHBirr Wrote:We worry about missiles so much, but as early as the Sixties (maybe the Fifties), writers were speculating about freighters with cobalt bombs in the holds scuttled close offshore.
Scuttled close offshore, or sailed into port by a crew of suicide bombers.

And I recall Heinlein being one of those writers.
--
Rob Kelk

DHBirr Wrote:Edit: on a lighter note, I'd like to point out that, as I noticed years ago, one very popular manga and anime features an obvious North Korean agent. Belldandy works for "Commie-sama." In these degenerate times, when Moscow and Beijing have betrayed the Revolution, that can only mean she serves the Great Leader Kim Il-sung, His Son the Dear Leader Kim Jong-il, and His Grandson Whatever-the-Hell-His-Name-Is.
*facefault*
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Salvage, BA was in the navy around the time where North Korea attacked South Korea in that little skirmish a while ago.
He has been to South Korea, and has most likely heard their thoughts on North Korea, and remember, North and South Korea is very close in terms of culture. The government may have changed, but even after so many years they still have the culture.
I think he has every right to say what is likily going though their minds considering that he vary well may have more experience with Korea then anyone on this site.
Unless of course, we have users from South Korea, in which case, sorry guys!

My sister-in-law is from South Korea. She grew up knowing that their capital could be obliterated in minutes, with no warning. She knows the situation there rather intimately. And she's very nervous right now.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Thesilentjackofalltrade Wrote:Salvage, BA was in the navy around the time where North Korea attacked South Korea in that little skirmish a while ago.
He has been to South Korea, and has most likely heard their thoughts on North Korea, and remember, North and South Korea is very close in terms of culture. The government may have changed, but even after so many years they still have the culture.
I think he has every right to say what is likily going though their minds considering that he vary well may have more experience with Korea then anyone on this site.
So, because of that no one is supposed to answer side questions concerning physical limits?
--
"Remember, the truth is out there." —Johnny
"It is? Oh, I hope it doesn't maul anyone this time." —me

Salvage Wrote:
Thesilentjackofalltrade Wrote:Salvage, BA was in the navy around the time where North Korea attacked South Korea in that little skirmish a while ago.
So, because of that no one is supposed to answer side questions concerning physical limits?
(Sigh.)
He doesn't have to answer your questions, no one has to. If you want him to answer your questions, PM him.
I think he was saying that he doesn't care about where they lunch an missile, because they shouldn't be doing do in the first place with out risking the war from braking out again.

ECSNorway Wrote:My sister-in-law is from South Korea. She grew up knowing that their capital could be obliterated in minutes, with no warning. She knows the situation there rather intimately. And she's very nervous right now.
Well, then I guess I will be looking towards your general direction when I want some info on South Korea that my brother doesn't know.

Thesilentjackofalltrade Wrote:He doesn't have to answer your questions, no one has to. If you want him to answer your questions, PM him.
What question?
I was trying to answer Dartz' question, and my answer got dissed. I don't see why I'm not supposed to answer Dartz' question because of BA's background.
By the way, to Dartz, if you're still paying any attention here, and if my admittedly terse answer was too terse, let me know and I'll try to expand. I try to compensate for my tendency to be terse, but I don't always succeed, particularly when things are busy like they are now where I work.
--

It was fine. I just stepped back because I had nothing more I thought I could contribute to the discussion and didn't want to respond with 'Right that make's sense' because that was a bit.... um....useless.

Salvage Wrote:
Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Dartz Wrote:*Snip*
CattyNebulart Wrote:*Snip*
*Snip*
*Snip*
Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Salvage Wrote:*Snip*
No
offense, but this gets filed under my "Don't Give A Fuck" folder. 
Sure, they probably are trying to put a satellite in orbit because,
hey! That's big feather in your technological cap...  However, their
statements of peaceful use are ruined when they test-explode nukes in
underground sites concurrent with each new launch system they test. 
Therefore, they are full of shit.
What?
I wasn't asking you to "Give a Fuck." I was trying to answer Dartz' "Why that direction?" and summing up the geographical and orbital mechanics limits. So, please, what's the big deal with that?
Also, the way you put that reads like you think I agree with nK propaganda. So, again, what? Where did that come from? Or would you please clarify what you meant.
I do believe that these were the questions I was referring to.

None of which are questions on physical limits.
--

(yawn.)

So? You simply misunderstood me, and I misunderstood you when you misunderstood me.

Get over it.

Thesilentjackofalltrade Wrote:(yawn.)

So? You simply misunderstood me, and I misunderstood you when you misunderstood me.

Get over it.
?
Whatever.
I've noted before I have a tendency to be terse. It's something of an occupational hazard as I'm normally writing in a work setting where most everyone knows much in common already. That, and the Admirals expect briefings to be brief. I've also got a rather full schedule, and on my downtime tend to rush unless I've got more than usual downtime. But, as another bit of occupational hazard, I'm dissatisfied with poor communications. These things generally don't work well together. So, I started posting when there was a lull in my workload, and then tried to keep up when things got busy again, so my posting was less than fully coherent. For that, I'm sorry.
In anycase, go ahead and get the last word in here. There're things that seem still miscommunicated to me, but I don't think I could put in enough time to avoid making even more of a mess until September or so after I've left south Korea.

--

Getting back to the topic at hand [size=smaller](which I believe we haven't actually addressed since post #28)[/size]...

North Korea is playing silly buggers with GPS signals.
--
Rob Kelk

Thank you for the topicality, Rob.

And yeah, that's definitely an escalation. "See? We can screw with you even more! Go ahead, make us stop, we dare you!"
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
What are they SMOKING in Pyongyang?
Now they're even rattling their sabers at their only ally.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

The general reaction of the public is interesting to see, and in the sense you might expect,
Makes things busy at work though. Again.
--