Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume 3

I think I have to disagree about the Maidens being unplanned by Monty. The guy had pretty extensive notes, from all reports. And the way it was introduced to the show did, I feel, present it pretty well as being considered a fairy tale in-universe. In fact, I have to wonder for how many generations the truth about them's been buried. Did it pre-date the 'Colour War' for instance? Or did they use the opportunity of that attempt at cultural erasure to fade out of sight?

Speaking of, todays World of Remnant is about the Four Maidens, and I have to admit, it's very well done.

Oh, I didn't say it was unplanned, it just felt that way.  After it was revealed, it was kind of obvious how it fits into the world.  Four members per team, four kingdoms, four seasons.  I'm just complaining that the reveal was handled without sufficient foreshadowing for its importance to the plot, and without doing enough characterization in the process of the reveal.
-- ∇×V

you know i think you guys are giving this season a bad wrap for all that i only have watched to episode 6. Season 2 ended with them beating their big bad from season 1 and getting him imprisoned in drek for brains brig, season 3 seems to be nothing but build up for how big a pain Adam and Cinder's team are really going to be.

That's the thing, Rajvik - Everything that's been going on has been with Cinder standing behind it all and chuckling coyly - like a cute and sexy gender-flipped Gendo Ikari going "All according to the scenario" the whole damn way through. Normally by this time in a story the heroes are starting to get an idea that something is definitely not right and begin turning up clues that might point them in the right direction.

Seriously, if you're gonna have things go to shit, you do it early on. Puella Magi Madoka Magica did this very effectively by having the WHAM! episode be No. 3 in a twelve episode run. By comparison, if RWBY were a twelve episode run, this is taking place at about episode 8. An example that COULD play Devil's Advocate would be Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar, where things go to hell in episode 8 of 13. But even then, that's not a very good one since Kenshi pretty much ensures the survival of the entire student body and makes the antagonists look like chumps even though they achieved their objectives. And I definitely do not get that vibe from RWBY right now.

Quote: By comparison, if RWBY were a twelve episode run, this is taking place at about episode 8.
How do you get this? Monty Oum's plans for RWBY were laid out for ten seasons, as I recall. By that measure, this would be "third episode" territory, not eighth.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sorry, forgot about that, Bob. In that case, I guess it does track, but it sure as hell doesn't FEEL like it. How many major story arcs are there supposed to be, though? Because unless this becomes a lot bigger than just Cinder and her cronies in the next season or two, then this story arc is gonna get real boring real fast.

Hell, I'm fine with Cinder remaining the big bad for the next season or two, along with things like the White Fang. Just stop with the heroes being puppets on her strings already. It was BS when they revealed she had the entire tournament rigged, it was even more so when they played Yang and had Ironwood be useless again, and the latest ep just took it into stupid territory. Have the heroes fight back. Give us the Neo/Yang rematch I've been hoping for, where the smug little psycho discovers Yang can learn new tricks. Have Torchwick discover how out of his league he is in this mess. Hell, let Ironwood demonstrate WHY he's in charge of such a massive military.

To quote Monty Python, GET ON WITH IT.

EDIT: and I'm just repeating myself. Moving on! Does anyone else really like the 2d animation in the latest WoR?

Okay, I just stumbled onto something on YouTube... a video from RTX Australia 2016 posted a week ago -- and a big chunk of it is Lindsay Jones and Barb Edelmann taking questions in character as Ruby and Yang -- with real-time animation motion-captured over them.  It's kinda creepy looking -- serious Uncanny Valley territory -- but still fun to listen to.  I haven't watched all of it yet, but in what I have seen so far there's been one little reveal/spoiler that might encourage everyone complaining that the bad guys have been having too big a winning streak.  Someone asked "Yang" who was the tougher fight -- Tifa Lockhart or Mercury Black, to which "Yang" answered words to the effect of "well, spoiler for you -- one of'em's dead."
Hope that cheers some of you guys up. 
-- Bob
---------

Well, yes. She snapped Tifa's neck. I'm not expecting that to happen to Mercury by the end of the volume, no matter how pleasing it would be. And yeah, the video was creepy, but funny. Ruby should not have bedroom eyes.

On a side note, we've got the preview of this weeks episode.

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... chapter-10

I'm REALLY hoping we get to see Ironwood kick several different kinds of ass. Preferably someone from Cinder's little team of worthless murderers. It's well past time we got to see why the man is a General.

Quote:Well, yes. She snapped Tifa's neck.
I think I'm going to have to watch that video again.
-- Bob
---------

Ironwood kicks ASS. In ways the animation team swear shouldn't actually work with their system. More importantly, this is the 'our heroes are awesome' ep. Things are bad, but the heroes rise to the challenge because they're heroes, and that's what they do. We see all the various Hunters start kicking ass, and it is beautiful. On a side note, Roman pretty much ensures that he's going to go down in history as 'a disgusting mass murderer, missed by no one', while Emerald has a moment of realization of just what she's become. Mercury is nearly wetting his pants in glee at all the murder, but that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

And then the last scene. Holy hell.

just binged the last three episodes (7-9) and i feel i have to point out that other than the flashbacks of ep 7 everything you are seeing of the bad guys wins are occuring during aproximately a days time frame. Add to that that the wins are because of Emerald's ability to cloud the mind of her who she concentrates on and because Ruby was unarmed when facing Mercury.

and then we end ep 9 with all the unseen previous preplanning working for the bad guys at least in the short term.

lets not count the villains chickens before they are quite hatched

New chapter is now up for the general public: http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... chapter-10
Quote:And then the last scene. Holy hell.
The winner for best use of fewmets in an action scene: RWBY
Quote: I think I'm going to have to watch that video again.
The video was called a "Death Match".
Also this was linked to the current video: http://roosterteeth.com/post/51193367 TL;DR: We know a lot of you have been watching RWBY with your young kids and the story's getting dark enough that this probably needs to stop.
-- ∇×V
-- ∇×V

All Death Battles end by fatality. Be it Yang, Superman, or Rainbow Dash, someone's scoring a kill. Smile

As for the post by Gray there, I really have to applaud his attitude there. It's less 'you shouldn't show this to children', and more 'you should watch this first, and use your own judgement on the matter'. Which is a wonderfully mature attitude to have, really.

Well. When things start happening, things REALLY start happening. Episode 11 up for sponsors. All hail Velvet, new Goddess of Badass Adorable. And I think Adam's fandom on Tumblr just caught fire and imploded.

Episode 11 up for non-sponsors.

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... chapter-11

When it looks like all hope is lost, look to the sky! There are giant eagles! Oh wait those are nevermores.

OM NOM NOM.
-- ∇×V

Volume 3 final episode is up for sponsors.

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... -beginning

I... *Sighs, shrugs, walks away.*

I've been saving watching season three until I could get the whole thing in one go.

From the spoilers I've heard elsewhere... I don't think I'm going to bother. The feel of what I've gotten about this season is that nearly every episode has to jump the shark in some way, push out some new concept, or break immersion and go "Wait, WHEN DID THAT GET PUT IN?"

So... yeah.

I dunno. I've had time to think about it, and I've been discussing it on chat and on several other sites all morning. It's a good volume. The writing, the animation, the acting, it's all improved. Especially the acting, my god. Keep in mind a large portion of the cast are still semi-amateurs at best. But Barb and Lindsay especially, knocked it out of the park, especially with todays episode. I preferred Volume 2 over 3, but it's a matter of personal taste, if I'm honest. The real problem is that Volume 3 is the end of Season 1, essentially, and the second half of the volume was intended, all along, to have everything kick off. Bad things happen, very bad, and while the heroes more or less rise to the challenge, the end of the volume is intended to be bittersweet at best, along with everything changing. There's no going back to the way things were, and I'm sad about that, and concerned that whatever they've got planned for next volume. But at the same time... with what they've shown me before, and what we had this volume, I'm willing to give them a chance.

PYRRHA: You know what really grinds my gears?CINDER: What?PYRRHA: You.
Seriously the best episode all season.  Kudos to everyone involved.  I still feel like there were some plotting errors early in the season, among other problems.  But very much was solved by, as said earlier this thread, "getting on with it".
I just noticed that "Asta the Dog" is in the credits.  As the owner of a Wire-haired Fox Terrier named Shasta, I'm glad to see an Asta still in the biz.  Per usual Marvel rules, make sure you watch the scene after the credits.
-- ∇×V

We just finished the last three eps in one go tonight. I'm not happy with where things are, but I'm not supposed to be, and I'm kind of disgusted at everyone who's going "Well, damn, it's no longer a happy-go-lucky circus of awesome curbstomps. I'm gonna stop watching."

Dammit, people. We're at the part of the story where, were this a book, the heroes would just be discovering that the bad guys are out there and are a real threat. It's necessary at this point for the good guys to get kicked in the balls, hard and multiple times -- it sets them up to take things seriously and fight their way to the end to triumph against great odds. Everyone going "dafuq? I'm qutting this" -- it's like getting to the end of Fellowship of the Ring and deciding that because the heroes aren't going to tromp merrily together to Mount Doom unopposed by anything they can't kill with a sneeze that the rest of the story is going to suck.
-- Bob
---------

EDIT: you know what? I'm still rambling about it, good and bad, after about a week. My many problems with it aside, they must have done something right.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Everyone going "dafuq? I'm qutting this" -- it's like getting to the end of Fellowship of the Ring
and deciding that because the heroes aren't going to tromp merrily
together to Mount Doom unopposed by anything they can't kill with a
sneeze that the rest of the story is going to suck.
I think the problem is that people went into this expecting "Harry Potter with gun-swords" rather than Fellowship of the Ring.  And by that standard, what actually happened would have been akin to Cedric...
All after a whole book where the villain's schemes went according to keikaku.  So I can see how people can be upset when they thought they were buying Queen but got Dragonforce instead.
Vorticity Wrote:Eucatastrophe is starting to look like the only hope left for the
protagonists, and well, I'm starting to wonder if Vale is actually going
to fall.  It could make for a very interesting season 4.
Well well, good prediction me!  I do have to note that this was not a loss for the protagonists either, but a Pyrrhic victory.  You can groan all you want, but I blame Monty for that pun.  So good job with that last battle Ruby Rose.  They have eyes for people who almost win, they're called silver.
-- ∇×V

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Quote: By comparison, if RWBY were a twelve episode run, this is taking place at about episode 8.
How do you get this? Monty Oum's plans for RWBY were laid out for ten seasons, as I recall. By that measure, this would be "third episode" territory, not eighth.
I stand corrected -- I'm watching someone's recording of the RWBY finale Livestream on YouTube right now, and Lindsay Jones has just mentioned that Monty had twenty seasons of RWBY plotted out.  He told/showed her because he wanted to know if she'd be willing to play Ruby all the way up to an adult.
-- Bob
---------