Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread

Quote:Wasn't there a scene somewhere on the site involving Doug winding up in the MASH setting?

I'm fairly certain there was, but I've been batting zero on finding it.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Quote:Wasn't there a scene somewhere on the site involving Doug winding up in the MASH setting?
Quote:I'm fairly certain there was, but I've been batting zero on finding it.
Since Bob has numbered the NanoSteps, all I need to say is "number 44"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We weren't making any headway in this crazy hall of mirrors, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out a song that would help us see our way through. They weren't illusions, they were mirrors...

Then Lee wound up and punched the glass in front of us.

Yeah, that'd work.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Since Bob has numbered the NanoSteps, all I need to say is "number 44"...

oh it gets better. It was by me.

(changed handle from Kokuten to Wiregeek a while back.. )

interesting that my brain is trying to put Our Hero on the other side of the operating table.

Multiversal Theory teaches us, however, that there's no problem in having him make a seperate NanoStep into the M*A*S*H Movie universe... which is different from the series... Smile

Thank you, Rob.

Quote:robkelk wrote:

We weren't making any headway in this crazy hall of mirrors, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out a song that would help us see our way through. They weren't illusions, they were mirrors...
Then Lee wound up and punched the glass in front of us.
Yeah, that'd work.
Does Doug have total concentration?
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:The air here was acrid and sooty. I'd awoken to a gang of thugs
ransacking my bike, and after trouncing them had decided that I wasn't
going to leave it alone any time soon. Despite its obvious
technological superiority to everything else I had seen, passersby were
not giving it or me very much attention - I got a second glance here
and there, but more often an "I've seen weirder things than that" indifference. Judging from the variety of the inhabitants, it was probably justified, too.
"Excuse me."
I
turned to face the speaker, and I'm not sure what I noticed first: the
the scar tissue that covered his gray skin so thoroughly that it looked
like he'd lost a fight with a threshing machine, or the the belt across
his bare chest that was studded with menacing spikes of bone and
terminated at a multiply-oversized belt buckle made of uncarved bones.
His ragged, irregularly-beaded black dreadlocks only added to the
effect. "Have you seen a skull recently?"
"Why do you ask? Looking to complete your outfit?" I replied.
Could someone ID this one for me?  I don't recognize it.  Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

(I'm surprised this one hasn't been suggested yet.)
"Rise and shine, Mister... Sangoir. Rise and... shine. Not that I wish to imply that
you have been sleeping on... the job. No one is more deserving of a rest than you.
And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until.... Well lets
just say your hour has come again. The right man in the wrong place can make
all the difference... in the world. So... wake up Mr. Sangnoir; wake up and... smell the
ashes."
Ebony the Black Dragon

Quote:It wasn't human. At some point it had been, and physically, it almost looked like one still, assuming you saw it in bad light. But in magesight, what it was was incredibly clear.

A walking corpse, its only animation came to it from an outside source, its existence sustained to serve as a parasite, feeding on behalf of its master in darkened back alleys like this one. And I could see by the slow spread of black in its latest victim, that it was spreading. It was a horribly elegant means of spreading the apparent necromancer's power. One was killed and infected others, who spread it to others, all the power flowing back through them to the central source, like a twisted pyramid scheme of sorcery. But at the present situation, the news had suggested the killings and disappearances had been fairly isolated, so it must not have had much time to spread yet.

Not for the first time, I wondered if just once, whatever seemed to guide my path home could see fit to deposit me early enough into a problem to nip it in the bud rather than just late enough that the bad guy had some kind of momentum going. Dramatic or not, it was very annoying.

Still, best to destroy this one quickly. I began to roll through my list of potential songs I could resort to in order to keep the necromancer from noticing his thralls being destroyed too early when something jumped into the alleyway with a speed that made me blink. Now, note that, given my previous occupation and some of my teammates, it takes a lot to impress me in terms of speed. This thing was that fast. And about a half a second later, the thrall that I'd been preparing to target was rendered into two quickly disintegrating halves, ripped in half bodily by this thing's bare hands. Which was when I got my first real look at it. Physically, it looked more human than the thralls had, short blonde hair and fairly mundane dress not being something that'd stand out any more than I did in this particular incarnation of Japan, which wasn't exactly the melting pot of foreigners that Megatokyo had been.

Magically, however, was something else entirely. This wasn't a god or demon like I'd seen before, but it was something....something that definitely would make a couple of the ones I'd met take more than a second thought as to just casually tangling with it. As it hunched down, power practically bleeding off of it like the moonlight did off its white clothing, I began to slowly back up. What I'd intended to do was obviously about to be taken care of quite easily without me doing anything, and treading into something that powerful's territory without at least trying to look up polite ways to say "please don't murder me horribly for just being in your way" suggests that one is either brave, stupid, or some measure in between. While I was the former, in all modesty, I liked to think I wasn't the latter, and thus continued to slowly retreat....before freezing as the creature turned, a single crimson eye locking with mine.

But a tingling danger sense told me that what I needed to worry about was behind me. A second thrall lurched out of the shadows, having apparently managed to evade my cursory threat scan earlier by simply being...well, dead. I slid to the side, preparing to respond when this thrall also found itself in two pieces....but this time along a single clean line, the body similarly crumbling to dust. What stood in its wake was a perfectly normal young man, wearing a school uniform that I believe belonged to a nearby establishment. But as he turned, I broke into a cold sweat. While the earlier creature had been a towering pinnacle of power, there was something in this young man's gaze that chilled me to the bone as I saw it in magesight. I flicked out of it to avoid freezing up entirely, as the young man slid a pair of glasses onto his utterly unexceptional looking face.

"You should be more careful, sir. The back alleys are dangerous these days."
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

blackaeronaut Wrote:Spoiler [+]
Half-Life?
Yes. It's the opening to the second one.
Ebony the Black Dragon

oh fsck

Rod H Wrote:oh fsckSpoiler [+]
Tsukihime
Oh fsck indeed.  It is at this point, when Doug learns the true depth of what he's stumbled into, that he may go OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:The air here was acrid and sooty. I'd awoken to a gang of thugs
ransacking my bike, and after trouncing them had decided that I wasn't
going to leave it alone any time soon. Despite its obvious
technological superiority to everything else I had seen, passersby were
not giving it or me very much attention - I got a second glance here
and there, but more often an "I've seen weirder things than that" indifference. Judging from the variety of the inhabitants, it was probably justified, too.
"Excuse me."
I
turned to face the speaker, and I'm not sure what I noticed first: the
the scar tissue that covered his gray skin so thoroughly that it looked
like he'd lost a fight with a threshing machine, or the the belt across
his bare chest that was studded with menacing spikes of bone and
terminated at a multiply-oversized belt buckle made of uncarved bones.
His ragged, irregularly-beaded black dreadlocks only added to the
effect. "Have you seen a skull recently?"
"Why do you ask? Looking to complete your outfit?" I replied.
Could someone ID this one for me?  I don't recognize it.  Thanks!
My snippet was from
I'm kind of sad that nobody here recognized it.

Thanks, Glidergun!
-- Bob
---------

Blackaeronaut Wrote:Oh fsck indeed. It is at this point, when Doug learns the true depth of what he's stumbled into, that he may go OMGWTFBBQ!!!
Now imagine if he ever met Ryougi Shiki, who is theoretically capable of permanently eliminating Doug's metatalent.

Quote:I found myself down the Marina with some time to kill before moving on. A breadboard advertised a small boat running three-hour tours of the nearby islands.

What could be the harm?

does this mean Doug would replace the professor, or be an 8th on the Isle? either one is as much a CTSNB as a nano step....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I honestly don't know tbh, I never thought that far ahead. Though I do wonder how song powers work for 'unplugged' performances.

Just the same. Somewhere in the concordance I note that all Doug needs is an instrument playing a melody and a voice singing to that melody. Live or recorded doesn't matter -- everything else is gravy.
-- Bob
---------

I was relieved to learn that I hadn't gone deaf, and that the reason that I couldn't hear anything was that there simply weren't any sounds to hear. The signs were an effective method of communicating around that restriction, though not an efficient one.
On the other hand, I would clearly need to deal with this "Soundkeeper" myself. I didn't trust a young boy to be able to handle a sorceress who could accomplish a feat of that magnitude.

I studied the teen with his cloud of brown curls before smiling.  "So, then, Mr. Martelli, do we have a deal?   I will find and retrieve everything of yours which was stolen from your basement studio.  In return, you will write me a song to these specifications..."  I tapped the sheet of paper on the table between us.  "...And you and Ms. Hernandez here..." (at which point I nodded at the slender Puerto Rican girl next to him) "...will record it for me.  On this."  I held up the memory crystal and the pair's eyes widened.  "Agreed?"
-- Bob
---------

All right, from something I said in the DW5 fora, I had to write this:

Quote:I don’t know what had been pulling me here: a suburban community just south-east of Denver.  But, after several hours of driving around, I finally saw something with magesight.  A strange energy was, just barely, leaking from a house.  Having seen nothing on mage sight all day, this was slightly encouraging.  I parked the bike a bit off, so I could walk over.
An obese Asian guy, with a mustache and beard came out of the house after a moment.  He didn’t even notice me.  I quickly looked at him in magesight and got the same thing I’d been getting all day: nothing.  He crossed the street and looked to be heading out to the mail boxes a block away.  I hurried up to the door and tried it.  Unlocked.  I went in and blinked.

It was dark, but over the TV was a collection of statues . . . and I recognized some of the people.  A lot of them were of Asuka, in varying outfits.  I didn’t look for long as I shifted back into magesight. The glow was coming from down the short hall, behind a closed door.  I was about to knock when I heard:

“All righty, I need to get Skuld's clothes off her to get a better look at her." 

The door didn’t stand much chance against me.  The fat guy in sweatpants and glasses didn’t even struggle.  I had him out of his computer chair and pinned against the wall to his side in an instant.  He was staring down at me with wide eyes.

“Oh, crap,” he muttered.  “I’m about to get my ass kicked by Doug Sangnoir.  Figures.”

“You know who I am?”  I probably didn’t have to put the growl in my voice, but it just came out.

“Yes, Colonel.  Put me down, please.  We’ve got a lot to go cover.”

Quote:“Yes, Colonel. Put me down, please. We’ve got a lot to go cover.”

That couldn't get better unless you were on a live-chat/video call with Bob Schroeck himself at the time.

Wiredgeek Wrote:That couldn't get better unless you were on a live-chat/video call with Bob Schroeck himself at the time.
But, even after explaining, I'm pretty sure I'd still get my ass kicked.

I sense some universe breaking recursion. I tried to write it. It made my head hurt.

Probably think we're a buncha weirdos.

Quote:It said "I sense some universe breaking recursion. I tried to write it. It made my head hurt.

Probably think we're a buncha weirdos. "

Before repeating that in a quote box, remarking on the repetition, remarking on the remarking of repetition..... including an ellipsis to break that chain of thought, then concluding with a guess at my mental state.

My head hurts too.

It mentioned a discussion, then went on with the mentioned discussion about how the fan had thought about doing the same thing , based on a 'Superman' story, but didn't think it would be appropriate.

I thought about doing a real-world one, based on this Superman fic where Clark Kent and an airliner full of metropolis citizens gets ISOT'd to the modern world. But I really didn't think it would be appropriate.