Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Got Fired Today

Best of luck, Bob!

Just finished reading the thread, just came across it late yesterday. Not really sure what to say, here, so I'll just wing it. I'm not really part of
this--or, well any--circle on the Internet (too much lurking; too little posting), but I do very much admire your writing (it wasn't for flattery that I
posted here some time ago saying that your writing reminded me of Heinlein--it did and does) and wit, so I mean it sincerely: best of luck!

When I first came across this topic, I even went as far as to call my mother and ask her to pray for you, and did so myself; I don't know what that means
to you, but look for good things--hopefully, you get good news soon. Two great tastes that go great together!

Well, if I'm going to have good news it will be very soon. Like I said, the interview I'm having in five hours is for a job that will be hiring by Friday.

And thank you; regardless of my opinions on the matter, it is a fine and thoughtful thing. (And everyone else, as well, thank you for your kind wishes. I will be going into the meeting this afternoon buoyed up by good thoughts reaching me from around the world.)

I do hope I get this job. They either really like the look of me on paper, or have been lacking in candidates, as they accepted my caveat that I don't have exactly the skill set they want, and agreed to my salary requirements virtually immediately. Either way, I think it looks good for me. Plus, if the photo of the owner (with whom I'm interviewing) on LinkedIn is any indication, this might be a relaxed, or at least fun, place to work.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Back from Interview
A mixed bag.

I apparently did well, as the company owner told me I made the final cut for the position, even with my weaknesses.

However, the 3-months-to-perm apparently looks much closer to 3 months than perm at this point, as it's a little tiny family business that looks to be
losing its primary customer after Christmas.

And I suspect that they were not as well-informed about me as I thought yesterday.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Good thing I didn't have time to pull that ITIL overview out of my archives today, then; you don't need the distraction of something else to learn.
However, you should have the overview now...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yes, I saw it in my inbox, but I haven't looked at it yet. Thanks, Rob.
-- Bob
---------

Still, three months of work is three months of work....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Something about the interview and its aftermath yesterday has set off a round of depression almost as deep as the one I was in right after I was fired.

I've got to find some way to shake this off.
-- Bob
---------
Cheer up
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama

I could always tell you the joke I was referring to...
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Tickle Attack!!!!

http://www.allmedia.com.au/bananana/

Black Depression and I are on first-name terms by this point. SmileThe only solution I've ever found is to keep telling myself it will get better.
Eventually, it does. But at the worst of it, you really don't want to believe it.

Just keep telling yourself, and find whatever it is makes you feel good. For me, that's usually some of the most obnoxiously heroic music and anime.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote: Rev Dark wrote:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama

Wow. Just... wow.

Also, I just had my first response to a job application in months. I have a phone interview tomorrow.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

... I don't know whether this will help or not, but it's some of the sweetest, cutest stuff I've read recently.

http://www.onemanga.com/Nagato_Yuki-cha ... itsu/1/01/

Chris Davies.

Quote:... I don't know whether this will help or not, but it's some of the sweetest, cutest stuff I've read recently.
...the hell?

Thanks for all the efforts at cheering me up. I do feel better, in part because of the last eight or so messages, in part because I got to talk to both Peggy and my mom (it was my weekly jaunt down to her place to help) about how the whole thing made me feel, but mostly because I just sent an email to the recruiter who set up the interview telling her to withdraw my application. I realized late this afternoon that a good 75% of my depression was in fact caused by gut feeling that I had made a horrible mistake -- and I realized that the mistake was nowhere near permanent yet. Just sending that email out did me a world of good.

And Bluemage, good luck on the interview.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: ... I don't know whether this will help or not, but it's some of the sweetest, cutest stuff I've read recently.
...the hell?

I don't know. But it made me smile, so ...

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Chris Davies.

Thanks.

I got a couple pages in before I realized I was looking at an alternate universe; it snuck up on me and whacked me on the back of the head when I wasn't
looking.
-- Bob
---------

Thanks.

I spent the last hour or two studying, and I think I'm ready.

EDIT: It went fairly well, actually, though accidentally spelling 'fairly' as 'failry' when I was typing this is not a good omen. I had
answers to all the questions asked, some skill in everything required, and expressed interest in and knowledge of the company. We'll see in early
December.

I've been writing a bit.

Here's hoping.

Today's crop of job listings (and yesterday's, that being my weekly visit to help my mom out) turned up a few interesting leads. Let's see if they
go anywhere...
-- Bob
---------

well.... I take anti depressants, and sometimes not even they help...

So I go and throw myself at something new.

This time its CoX.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Okay, please explain to me, Mr. Potential Employer, why your combobox picklist for the year in the "date of availability" question offers 1934 to
2059. Don't you think a narrower range with a slightly more recent lower end would not only be a bit more realistic, but also save you a kilobyte or so of
bandwidth on every application?
-- Bob
---------

But... but I so totally could've started at that job 75 years ago!

That is pretty ridiculous.

I've been writing a bit.

Yeah, it is. But I applied anyway.

Five applications this morning, and I still have several mailings from the job boards left from the weekend to go through. I'll save them for tomorrow,
though, to guarantee I have a large pool to work with.
-- Bob
---------

... I'm probably incorrect, but the geek in me forces me to point out that, if the combobox is procedurally generated locally, then the bandwidth argument
is incorrect. And were *I* designing it, I'd build it that way. A local routine to populate the combobox, that way your bandwidth usage never varies from
what you expect (for that form, anyway).

Of course, I'd also use a bit more logical choices for the endpoints, but I was only addressing the potential bandwidth issue, not the inherent stupidity
of having a year-available box with that large a window. Big Grin

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

You know, I suspect you're probably right, Spud, but I'm not going through the entire application process a second time just to find out. Then again, I
had imagined that someone might have just cut-and-pasted an old-style form control into the html for the page in a WYSIWYG editor, and didn't check its
preprogrammed contents.
-- Bob
---------
What the...?
I just got home after a long busy day out, and I discover that out of the blue I have just been sent an email telling me I am to take the skill assessment I
bungled a couple weeks back again. The exact same one, it seems, as the password to unlock the zip file is the same...

...I'd best refresh myself on my web design skills before I open that archive.
-- Bob
---------