Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
OK, this is weird...
The trope template on "Orcus on His Throne" is throwing the following error:

Quote:Lua error: callParserFunction: function "SUBPAGES" was not found.

But no other trope page that I've looked at is misbehaving.  Anyone have a clue?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: OK, this is weird...
(12-18-2017, 06:46 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The trope template on "Orcus on His Throne" is throwing the following error:

Quote:Lua error: callParserFunction: function "SUBPAGES" was not found.

But no other trope page that I've looked at is misbehaving.  Anyone have a clue?

I purged the page and the error is now gone.
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
I just banned this pervert, I was made aware their major purpose was to make one handed edits about their fapfiction:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...ermartin98

I ask anyone who has more time than me, still getting over a flu/sinus problem, to please burn to ashes anything they spammed in regards to their fap fics.
I'm on it.

Oh, and I got the Lua error on Difference between revisions of "Mind Over Matter"

And I have to stop. I got to 04:27, 30 June 2017
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, that's annoying. The Shepherd has nothing to do with Frederick Forsyth's short story - but the name describes the characterization trope perfectly. What do we usually do in cases like this, where it's obvious we're going to need the current page as a disambiguation page for the existing trope page and the to-be-written work page?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-22-2017, 07:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, that's annoying. The Shepherd has nothing to do with Frederick Forsyth's short story - but the name describes the characterization trope perfectly. What do we usually do in cases like this, where it's obvious we're going to need the current page as a disambiguation page for the existing trope page and the to-be-written work page?

I would move the trope page to "The Shepherd (trope)" and create the disambiguation page as "The Shepherd" and the work page as "The Shepherd (short story)".

I got around that twice in the past (Poltergeist and Beastmaster).
D'oh! Of course that's what we do... Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So... I have this request on my Talk page.

How do I diplomatically say "I don't have time to read the fanfic, find the author's email address, and let him know of the existence of ATT"? (Because, if one does something for one, one should do the same thing for all, and nobody has time to read all fanfic...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-24-2017, 09:38 AM)robkelk Wrote: So... I have this request on my Talk page.

How do I diplomatically say "I don't have time to read the fanfic, find the author's email address, and let him know of the existence of ATT"? (Because, if one does something for one, one should do the same thing for all, and nobody has time to read all fanfic...)

That same guy asked me to read the fanfic twice in two months.

I would say that it's a pretty big task to read a fanfic for finding tropes (time being an issue), and that he shouldn't expect admins to do requests for other users, since not everyone is interested in a specific fanfic.
I had reason to look at the Looney Tunes page, and now I'm wondering: Why are Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck works while Porky Pig and Pepe Le Pew are tropes?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-24-2017, 06:30 PM)robkelk Wrote: I had reason to look at the Looney Tunes page, and now I'm wondering: Why are Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck works while Porky Pig and Pepe Le Pew are tropes?

I'd fix that to all be the former.

And in general, just wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone. We've had a good year this year, and I look forward to many more with you all. Big Grin
(12-15-2017, 09:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: Likewise, on the freebie wiki - see attached image. Something's wrong between the new MediaWiki and HotCat.

Also, I get this when trying to reply to a Talk thread on ATT:
Error: Module ext.visualEditor.data has failed dependencies

What's the Phabricator ticket number for post-upgrade glitches, so that we can update it with all our reports?

Couldn't find the Phab ticket, so I opened one for the Hotcat error: T2552

EDIT: Following the advice given there, I upgraded the freebie wiki to the most recent version of the software (a.k.a. the first step on the IBM software support flowchart). Still getting the error.

RE-EDIT: A day later, the new version of HotCat has kicked in and the error message no longer appears. I've just upgraded HotCat on ATT to 2.36 - we'll know tomorrow whether this solves that issue.

RE-RE-EDIT: The error message is gone now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
YKTTW you can see the explosion from orbit? What do we call that trope?

Because we need to add http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1593.html (and, of course, Rogue One) as an egregious example.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-28-2017, 10:49 AM)robkelk Wrote: YKTTW you can see the explosion from orbit? What do we call that trope?

If we don't already have it under another name, I think you just named it -- "You Can See The Explosion From Orbit", which would be the next step down from "Earthshattering Kaboom" and somewhere well above "Impressive Pyrotechnics".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I suspect I don't need to mention it, but the MWExceptions are running rampant again/still.
-- Bob

(01-03-2018, 08:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I suspect I don't need to mention it, but the MWExceptions are running rampant again/still.

Not having that problem on the freebie wiki, so somebody who has the time should file a Phab ticket about this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The original Phab ticket from two-three weeks ago is still there and open. Nothing appears to have been done with it since a day or so after it was filed.
-- Bob

(12-28-2017, 03:20 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 10:49 AM)robkelk Wrote: YKTTW you can see the explosion from orbit? What do we call that trope?

If we don't already have it under another name, I think you just named it -- "You Can See The Explosion From Orbit", which would be the next step down from "Earthshattering Kaboom" and somewhere well above "Impressive Pyrotechnics".

Page started, with a stub description, five examples, and a shout-out to SCTV. (No Buffy examples, though.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool. I just added an example after a quick Google search.
-- Bob

I have a couple more to add, and I see that SelfCloak added an image.

It's a great image. Which episode is it from?

And, having turned all the section headers into links, I have to ask: Why are Literature, Puppet Shows, and Real Life tropes while all of the other media are works?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-03-2018, 08:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: I have a couple more to add, and I see that SelfCloak added an image.

I didn't know at first, but after a search on TV Tropes's Image Source page, I found out it's from the episode "First Strike".
I can't seem to quote on this forum because it remains loading indefinitely.

Literature should be in works because that is what it is. Puppet Shows should be in whatever other forms on animation are (whichever they lie in), Real Life is actually a good debate to have because that's separate from everything else in a sense.

It also is annoying when I too am getting the exceptions bullshit.
(01-04-2018, 01:17 AM)SelfCloak Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 08:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: I have a couple more to add, and I see that SelfCloak added an image.

I didn't know at first, but after a search on TV Tropes's Image Source page, I found out it's from the episode "First Strike".

Thanks.

We're up to 11 examples, an image, and a description that links to other tropes. I'd ask whether the page is launchable, but it's only been up for one day... Smile

Make that 13 examples.

How did we not have this page before now?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's a question raised by the Real Life examples -- is it a requirement that the explosion actually be shown from an orbital vantage point? That is, is the point of view as important to the trope as the existence of the big boom?
-- Bob

It was my intention that the shot be viewed from orbit, but that isn't usually possible for the Literature examples.

So let's say the explosion can be seen from orbit, rather than is seen from orbit.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown