Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'll just leave this here...
I'll just leave this here...
"If you want to write about whether more people rode the Washington, DC metro system on the day of Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration or on the day of Donald Trump’s 2017 inauguration, ask the Metropolitan Transit Authority, which collects this data. If you prefer, take President Trump’s word for it—but then you are not a journalist, you are a sap. Trump has demonstrated repeatedly that he accepts figures that flatter him and refuses to acknowledge those that do not. Personal vanity is not a commonly accepted database."
– Michael Schudson, Here’s what non-fake news looks like, Columbia Journalism Review
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: I'll just leave this here...
H.L. Mencken, in the column "Bayard vs. Lionheart" published in the Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920: Wrote:In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Bob, I think your entry deserves to be on a Quotes sub-page for the ATT page for The Presidents.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-09-2018, 03:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: Bob, I think your entry deserves to be on a Quotes sub-page for the ATT page for The Presidents.

Seconded.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Heh. Done, along with a few others I had handy.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another article...

If no news is good news, what is fake news?

Quote:We may not knowingly spread blatantly fake news, but we do decide whether to share news that borders on the unacceptable in tone, or highlights an issue we don’t know how to discuss face to face. I see many Twitter profiles that say “sharing a tweet does not mean I agree or accept as fact”, so why are we sharing it then?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown