Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
I haven't disappeared, but I've been back to researching by rewatching.  When the original medium was television, I can't really speed-read my way to remembering all of the details, so I might as well enjoy myself.  But I might add a couple of new shows to the mix.  I'll give you a hint: Aria isn't the only show with Martians and a character called Aquamarine.  Unfortunately, it's the only series I've yet considered that doesn't qualify for Mega Neko.  The other series I'm adding definitely qualifies for Mega Neko, but it isn't listed.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Anyone fancy a light read?

[Image: 8Gqqndzl.png]

Just a thought

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
<baymax>Oh dear.</baymax>

Actually, I thought that I had called dibs on at least Season 1 Nanoha? *Goes to check*

Yep. Sure did. But I forgot about A's. Oh well, I was thinking about spinning Jake off into his own little complex with the Stargate people to keep him company. I can honestly see Colonel O'Niel becoming a bit protective of the guy.
Hey, if the Numbers are going to be in San Antonio instead of in Ottawa, then the Wolkenritter can be in Ottawa instead of San Antonio, right? Smile

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, I could make that work. Some of the girls will just have to share apartments, is all... or we can use some Washuu-tech to convert basement storage space into living space. And I'm sure Usagi using the Silver Crystal can help Hayate rename the Tome of the Night Sky to Reinforce while Ami and Kazari re-write the protection program.
Quote:Ottawa:
"That was a brilliant piece of coding, Kazari!"
"Thank you, Ami. I felt like I was inspired when I wrote that on the fly."
Yggdrasil:
"You were, Uiharu-san, and you're welcome."
"What was that, Skuld?"
"Oh, nothing, big sis."

RE-EDIT: Oh, dear, I'm plotting this out now as a full story.

Dibs!
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Whenever I think of The Book of Darkness, I think of Diane Duane's Young Wizards Series. In particular, the race of living computers that Dairine Callahan inadvertently helped create.

Imagine a Jupiter-sized world composed of nothing but chemically pure silicon and a few trace elements, volcanoes that regularly deposit the molten silicon as a fine mist in layers, and microorganisms that chew circuit pathways through the silicon to get at the trace elements, and that this has been going on for billions of years.

This planet becomes known as 'The Motherboard' and the race it created with Dairine's help are known as 'The Mobiles'. And Dairine felt it was a very good idea (and it was, too!) that ALL THE MOBILES have access to Wizardry. Oh, and no matter how far and wide they wander, the mobiles are always connected to The Motherboard.

And then there was one of my favorite lines in the whole book: "There is no program that cannot be debugged, or at worse, re-written."

And you know what they debugged? Death itself!!!

Just imagine having that kind of magically enhanced processing power on hand during the Book of Darkness incident. Heh-heh-heh...
It took me two months to think of this.

(04-13-2018, 04:44 PM)Labster Wrote: ...
Can anyone make sense of Akari's family name, Mizunashi, for me?  It's written exactly like you'd think, 水無, with the kanji for "water" and "none".  Possibly a reference to the month of June, 水無月.  But why would an undine be waterless?

Akari isn't from Aqua, she's from Manhome. No water there - at least, none suitable for sculling in.

This is just a guess, mind you.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's not an unreasonable theory, and it makes her renaming to Aquamarine even more important.  Actually I had kind of moved on from that theory of Akari's name, as if you look at her name as a whole.  The kanji are water-not/lamp-area (though I think the last one is just being phonetic), but figuratively it would mean "June light".  Or more figuratively "summer solstice", which hey, happy solstice everyone!  It's a good name for someone with a sunny disposition.

When I named "Luminis Labyrinthus", it was riffing off of the Noctis Labyrinthus region of Mars, but in reference to the Galaxy Express crossing the dimensional barrier in a field of lights.  I thought about using lucis instead, but decided lumenis matched the story better.  Stupid me didn't even realize that lumen is the translation of akari.

Let me know if you need Hoshino Ruri to help debug some magical tomes.
Oopsie...

Re-watching Railgun. Academy City doesn't call esper powers "Skills", despite the law-enforcement agency being called "Antiskill". They call esper powers "abilities" - at least, in the Funimation subtitles, they do.

But, you know, the existence of "Antiskill" makes it reasonable to keep calling them "Skills" anyway.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Agreed.

*WHAM's the Big Red Stamp of "APPROVED" on this post.*
(06-17-2018, 09:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hey, if the Numbers are going to be in San Antonio instead of in Ottawa, then the Wolkenritter can be in Ottawa instead of San Antonio, right? Smile

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, I could make that work. Some of the girls will just have to share apartments, is all... or we can use some Washuu-tech to convert basement storage space into living space. And I'm sure Usagi using the Silver Crystal can help Hayate rename the Tome of the Night Sky to Reinforce while Ami and Kazari re-write the protection program.
Quote:Ottawa:
"That was a brilliant piece of coding, Kazari!"
"Thank you, Ami. I felt like I was inspired when I wrote that on the fly."
Yggdrasil:
"You were, Uiharu-san, and you're welcome."
"What was that, Skuld?"
"Oh, nothing, big sis."

RE-EDIT: Oh, dear, I'm plotting this out now as a full story.

Dibs!

BA, I just sent you a PM about this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
In a sense, it would be funny to just have Bad Wolf stuff randomly appearing throughout our timeline.  No one even needs to follow up with a story, it can just be something that seeped through from the Whoniverse.
Officially, I'd say that the Good Doctor is around, but he's contracted by The Powers That Be for his unique services.  (He's the one of the few people that can fully comprehend, to the level of the Norns, how the Yggdrasil/Nidhogg system works.)  He may or may not make appearances.

On another topic....

I had a fun idea for my character.

I would have a rather 'colorful' collection of coffee mugs that act as indicators for my general mood.  Like THE BOSS Mug for when it's time to put the noses to the grindstone.

Or the Princess Rainicorn Mug that is somewhat deceptive as the uninitiated don't realize that Princess Rainicorn can get ROWDY when needed.  And not some kind of reluctant "oh how unladylike" rowdy, but full-on "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum" rowdy.  Accelerator has learned that I am not to be taken lightly when the Princess Rainicorn mug is in play.

And then, there is the Coffee Gauge Mug, whereupon everyone has learned that it is hazardous to your short term health to bother me until the coffee has been drained to the "You may speak now" mark near the bottom of the cup.

Oh, and if the American McGee Cheshire Cat Mug is in play...  Go with God, my friend.  We fear for your life and we fear for your soul!

As for the force backing up Ben that lends credence to the implied threat levels...  Let's just say he has a little friend he named 'Squishy'.  And when Ben isn't happy, Squishy isn't happy.  Wink
Oh, yes... Since BA sent me a PM implying a bit of confusion as to what I'm doing right now:

My current sidestory is not the one with the working title "There's Nothing Better A's". This is a different previously-existing story being dropped into the metaverse.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No update to my current sidestory today, sorry. I want to do something faster-paced than "My Dinner with André Jacky", but the muse isn't cooperating.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
robkelk Wrote:No update to my current sidestory today, sorry. I want to do something faster-paced than "My Dinner with André Jacky", but the muse isn't cooperating.

I thought that 30% of anime these days was cute girls eating food and saying "oishii" and "umai" a bunch of times.  I mean, if you're setting out to do slice of life, dinner is what you get.

IC:

Pizza Margherita
================

It was kind of odd restaurant, half American sports bar, half Mexican cantina, but it was convenient, and everyone was hungry.  The service, on the other hand, was a bit slow.  Still, with an unfamiliar menu, it wasn't time wasted as the girls read through their options.

As a waiter walked past with a plate, Aika's eyes followed him over her shoulder.  "Oh, they have pizza here.  That sounds good!"  She closed her menu right then and there.

Finally, the waitress appeared for their table.  Alice got a basic hamburger, while Tomo ordered a set of loaded potato skins.

Alice commented, "If you think about it, the middle of the potato is useless anyway."

"Oh yeah, totally useless," Tomo picked up her cue, intentional or not.  "I mean, why even bother with that boring white part?"

Yomi ignored the heathens next to her, and ordered the fish tacos, which she assumed was one of the healthier options on the menu.

Finally, the ordering got around to Akia, "Can I get a margherita?"

"A margarita?  OK."  The waitress looked over Aika, and judged her to be pretty young.  "Virgin?"

"Extra-virgin."

"Heh, sure."

"And a glass of still water."

The waitress finished writing on her pad, and went on her way.

For some reason, this event caused a tight smile to appear on Yomi's face.  Tomo knew that look, and kept an eye out for whatever funny thing happened next.  She asked, "So why are the middle of potatoes useless, Alice?"

"All it does is hold other flavors.  It's almost as useless as eggplant."

"Yeah, I don't understand why girls are so into eggplant these days.  Look at Yomi, she's into tacos, fish tacos."  Two seconds later, Tomo felt a line of blunt force across the top of her head, followed by pain.

"Quiet, you uncultured idiots," indicted Yomi, giver of the karate chops.  "Starches have lots of uses in cuisine, from providing a texture, a place absorb sauces, and as a palate cleanser for more intense flavors."

A couple minutes later, the waitress returned with drinks for everyone.  In front of Aika, she placed a wide, stemmed glass with salt lining the rim and a lime hanging off the side.

"What the hell is this thing?" Aika barked.

Yomi couldn't suppress her chuckles.
(07-09-2018, 05:59 PM)Labster Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:No update to my current sidestory today, sorry. I want to do something faster-paced than "My Dinner with André Jacky", but the muse isn't cooperating.

I thought that 30% of anime these days was cute girls eating food and saying "oishii" and "umai" a bunch of times.  I mean, if you're setting out to do slice of life, dinner is what you get.

Yeah... but "Jack of Kinrowan" isn't anime. It's Canadian Fantasy Literature ™ based on some of the tales of the Brothers Grimm.

I was hoping to get at least a monster-of-the week deal going ... but I flubbed that by having Usagi take out a half-dozen of some of the most powerful Host that can pass for human with a single attack. My bad, my issue to fix.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A question: How "mature" are we aiming for with this story?

At one extreme, we have G (where dark-and-edgy stories are off limits altogether). At the other extreme, we have either NC-17 (where dark-and-edgy stories are pretty much required), X (which is a different kind of "mature"), or both at the same time.

Where do we want to peg the baseline for There's Nothing Better?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Honestly, I think it'd be good if we kept it at an 'R' rating - we can get reasonably edgy this way without veering off into Grim Dark territory. Though I'd be willing to make exceptions for brief dips into Darker and Edgier so long as it's kept to a singly plot point and then, in accordance with plot, stomp out fast and the victims at least start getting help.

That said, if anyone feels up to bringing in the major characters from Worm, then I won't complain so long as the Grim Derp aspects are purged. And that means keeping shit realistic. Though IC-Me would definitely like to have a good sit down with her...

Quote:"I know you had it bad. Not gonna take anything away from that, kiddo. But here's the thing. Sometimes, if I see a sudden movement in my peripheral vision, and it's moving just right? I flinch. Hard. And all because my dad couldn't wrap his head around the idea that there's children out there that are the opposite of the 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' self-starters that had the means to move out by the time they were sixteen.

"I've been hurt - physically and emotionally. I've been made into a pariah and a moving target in my own family. I was developmentally held back by the emotional abuse from not only my father, but my own damn brothers got in on it, too, because they didn't see me as a big brother. They only saw me as a weak person with no authority at all over them. I am mentally scarred from it all, and life has not been very kind to me in letting me figure my shit out.

"But what this means for you is that you got someone with experience in dealing with this kind of thing to draw on. You can lean on us, Taylor. We're never gonna toss you out in the cold, even if you do mess up. We're gonna look after you."

Honestly. I'd hug the stuffing out of that poor kid. PATERNAL INSTINCTS TRIGGERED! COMFORT! REASSURE! TEACH!
I can agree with an R rating, i mean, "things" are going to happen, rooms are going to consolidate, and couples will be shipped. Will people get help, oh hell yes.

As for Worm, i would say bring them in, but scatter them around the homes, like, send Rachel to Florida, Lisa or Regent to the computers, figure a way to either limit the issues of their powers, or make their issues work for them, Lisa to Canada for instance
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Quote:Lisa to Canada for instance
I've never read Worm. Besides, I have an over-full building as it is (although we might be able to move a few folks off to Jacky and Kate's "tower" once things have settled down and people get to know each other).

Mind you, there's a building in Montreal. Too bad Seraviel didn't make the trip from Yuku via Tapatalk to here with the rest of us.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Worm is the sort of story that comes with its own Event Horizon. Where the only light comes from stuff colliding as it's falling into the hole above you and the only option is to go deeper......

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Nicely done, Rob!  I love it.

For myself....  Well, I can't go and make things as easy for myself as actually having anyone interested in me, now I can I?  Besides, it doesn't follow the theme of 'Shit sucks for Ben despite how it looks on the surface'.

Might be interesting if a seed of attraction was planted in Nanoha of all people.  Or better yet, Ruby Rose.  She'd be at that age where her hormones are all over the place anyhow, and besides, there'd be this sort of thing....

Yang: "... Did he just get a little girl to stop crying?"
Blake: "Yes."
Yang: "And then find her mommy and then get a hug from that little girl?"
Blake: "I thought my mind was making that up, but apparently, yes."
Yang: "WHY IS HE STILL SINGLE!?  I KNOW HE'S NOT GAY!  I'VE CAUGHT HIM LOOKING AT ME!"
Weis: "You think you might like to try doing something about it~?  Even I must admit, he's pretty handsome in a roguish kinda way.  Like a more gentlemanly version of your Uncle Crow."
Yang: "He's still twenty years older than us.  That'd be like dating Professor Oobleck!"
Blake: "Your sister doesn't seem to think so."
Yang: "Wah?"
Ruby: *Hearts in eyes as she drools*
Yang: "Well what about you, Weis?!  I've caught you looking at him!"
Weis: *Mild Panic*  "That!?  But... That's only because he's such an excellent manager!  If he had the means to do so, I would wager that he could do a hostile takeover of the Schnee Dust Company!  I could learn a lot from someone like him!"
Blake: *Grins*  "I wonder what that 'hostile takeover' might entail?  Not to mention what kinds of things he would teach you~."
Weis: *Goes fluorescent* "BLAKE!"

But even so, too easy.  They're all a bit too young, and it'd just be infatuation anyhow.  Teletha might have been nice as she'd be the type to sit down with Benjamin and match wits with him in one way or another.  But again, too young, and also carrying a torch for Sosuke - in fact, after the Halloween Party she'd probably form some kind of pact with Kaname.  While a bit annoying, Kaname can certainly appreciate Teletha and have her as sister-wife.

Melissa Mao just wouldn't click.  Neither would Urd, though she'd probably date him a few times.  Besides, Ben likes his girls a bit on the petite side.

I'm halfway tempted to bring in Katanagatari.  Nanami fits many of the bullet points on Ben's list: Youthful, but not underage; tiny; very intelligent; and incredibly dangerous.  But she is, perhaps, a bit too dangerous given her lack of regard for human life.  I would even dare say that she is borderline sociopathic.  And even there, then would have to be reason for her to show interest, a lot of which would be nullified by sheer dint of their being in another world.

Another one I've thought of was an old favorite: Alita from Battle Angel Alita.  But even if we got the version of Alita who was still a cyborg at the end of Last Order I doubt that she'd have any interest.  While she has friends, it feels as though she's washed her hands of romantic attachments.

Really, the more I bring in, the harder this is for Ben.  And few people would really understand how bad it is for him.

Hino Rei only knows, but only by mistake, and the gaping abyss of his solitude combined with his depth scared the shit out of her.  Heh.  That's actually kinda funny in a terrible way - she is scared of him because she knows that it's possible for her to fall in love with him, but she also knows that the experience would transform her, but into what she doesn't know.  Hence her fear.  Aries women love the idea of being conquered - for a man to come, storming their gates, climbing their walls, and beating a path through their garrison to where their prize awaits them.  But Benjamin?  He's more like a sinkhole than a conquering army - swallowing up everything hungrily and insatiably.

The girl for Ben would have to be made of incredibly strong stuff - she'd have to be able to handle the amount of zero-fucks-given passion he'd bring on, and then the sudden-onsets of insecurity, anxiety, and depression.  The irony is that he knows that he has no reason to really feel these things, but as we know, anxiety and depression is not rational like that.  She would have to be someone with such confidence in herself that she would not be afraid of a little change.  Not unlike Teletha or even Lafiel - both of whom would be spoken for.

Ironically, though, girls that self-assured tend to be turned off by mental defects like depression.  They know they're high-value, so they won't settle for damaged goods.

Really, the only ones that I can see going for him are the ones young enough that he leaves a strong impression on them and, because they tend to be a lot less jaded, can see his limitations for what they are and are willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Any thoughts?
Taking things out of order...

Quote:many of the bullet points on Ben's list: Youthful, but not underage; tiny; very intelligent; and incredibly dangerous.

If it wasn't for the first and last criteria on that list, I'd be wondering what Ben thinks of Nakano Azuza from K-On!. (And Azuza isn't going to be underage for too much longer, although I expect she'd be more interested in college than marriage once she graduates from high school. Her lack of power (other than the Power of Rock™), OTOH...)

Quote:Really, the more I bring in, the harder this is for Ben. And few people would really understand how bad it is for him.

If Rei mentions anything to Usagi - and I suspect she would - then Ben can expect a personal intervention after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. Yes, Fate (not Nanoha's Fate) has dealt Ben a shitty hand. Yes, Ben's life has been miserable. But there is absolutely no reason why it needs to remain miserable. Ben has friends now; Usagi noticed how Ben and Tenchi got along at the Halloween party, just for one example. Ben's doing useful work and has the respect of his peers. And Usagi is willing to help Ben, or even just give him a shoulder to cry on, whenever he asks.

Quote:Might be interesting if a seed of attraction was planted in Nanoha of all people. Or better yet, Ruby Rose.

So... Nanoha, Ruby, and Weiss? Misquoting Mii quoting Washuu-chan, "if you were a Juraian noble, you could marry all three of them and a couple more, too." Big Grin

Although I suspect Nanoha wouldn't be interested in anybody who wasn't also interested in Fate. (And, if we're talking post-StrikerS, he'd also need to be interested in being a parental figure for Vivio... but Ben's already qualified there.)

Quote:But even so, too easy. They're all a bit too young, and it'd just be infatuation anyhow.

Exactly. If my SI was their age, he might be thinking "instant harem, just add male"... but he isn't their age.

Quote:Really, the only ones that I can see going for him are the ones young enough that he leaves a strong impression on them and, because they tend to be a lot less jaded, can see his limitations for what they are and are willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Which, in your SI's complex, might include Sayaka Miki and Mami Tomoe - but they're definitely still too young. (Homura Akemi is already too jaded despite her youth.)

Quote:Teletha might have been nice as she'd be the type to sit down with Benjamin and match wits with him in one way or another. But again, too young, and also carrying a torch for Sosuke - in fact, after the Halloween Party she'd probably form some kind of pact with Kaname. While a bit annoying, Kaname can certainly appreciate Teletha and have her as sister-wife.

I can see Sosuke/Kaname/Tessa... with Teletha being the noble (Whispered plus command experience should be enough to qualify for a minor Juraian noble rank, I'd expect.)

Of course, nobody's brought in Full Metal Panic. Yet.

Running gag:
Tessa: "Teletha Testarossa. Pleased to meet you."
Fate: "Fate Testarossa. Pleased to meet you."
Person being spoken with: "Are you two related?"
Fate or Tessa, trading off: "We don't think so."

EDIT: Or, for somebody who actually speaks Italian:
Person being spoken with: "Testarossa? But you're both testa rubia."
Fate and Tessa: "Okay, that reply's new."

Since it's come up: What I'm thinking for my SI's building - and plans change as stories are written - is the dynamics settle down into a few different families, official or not. Usagi would insist that laws regarding polyamourous relationships apply to everyone equally (not just the nobility), and she and Mamoru together have the power and lineage to make their claim to the Sol system stick if the Juraians complain. Whether that means group marriages for everybody or for nobody remains to be seen.
  • First Family (with a Head of State and everything): Usagi, Mamoru, and Rei, with Chibi-Usa as a dependent.
  • All alone because of that thrice-dammed curse: Minako. (Just ask her. Everyone else will consider her to be part of the building's first family, especially Usagi, Rei, and Mamoru.)
  • Second family: Luna and Artemis, with Diana as a dependent. Yeah, going with canon here - there aren't a lot of talking cats out there to add to this dynamic, and they seem more comfortable in feline form than in human form.
  • Third family: SI-Rob, Mii, Ami, and Makoto.
  • Fourth family: Kamijo Touma (who hasn't shown up yet), Mikoto, Kuroko, and Misaka Niiko (sister 10032), with Index (who hasn't shown up yet) as a dependent. Touma/Minako is canon. Touma/10032 is strongly shippable by canon; he saved her life specifically and the other clones' lives generally, she was the first person who he ever gave a gift to, and she canonically has feelings of some sort for him.
  • Fifth family: Ruiko, Kazari, and ... somebody. (Not Accelerator.)
If it ends up "group marriages for nobody", then the relationships presented to the outside world are Mamoru/Usagi, Luna/Artemis, Rob/Mii, and Touma/Mikoto.

As for the Jack of Kinrowan characters, Jacky's canonically in an on-again-off-again relationship, Kate is single and wants a relationship, and Finn hasn't expressed an opinion on the matter.

I don't know (or am not sure) what to do with Accelerator, Misaka Kokono (10339), Misaka Nana (13577), Misaka Rei (19090), Misaka Misaka (20001, a.k.a. "Last Order"), and Kazakiri Hyoga (who hasn't shown up yet but by canon has a connection to Misaka Misaka). All I am sure about is (a) Misaka Misaka and Kazakiri Hyoga stay together, and (b) that Accelerator isn't about to marry the sisters of the clones girls he killed, even if he does Get A Clue™ and stops being an asshole all the time. (Luckily for him, it's canon that helping to look after Misaka Misaka is giving him at least part of that much-needed clue... but he might end up alone anyway.) It would be reasonable for spoilers-regarding-canon to include a Misaka Sister in each of the first, third, and fifth families listed above; the girls might even be interested.

(And if I get any urges to add more "friendly" characters to my corner of this, please whack me over the head with a paper fan. More foes are good; more people who I'll need to write on an ongoing basis are bad.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good story, Dartz. "How much is the ghost and how much is the shell?" - asked but left unanswered.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: Taking things out of order...

Quote:many of the bullet points on Ben's list: Youthful, but not underage; tiny; very intelligent; and incredibly dangerous.

If it wasn't for the first and last criteria on that list, I'd be wondering what Ben thinks of Nakano Azuza from K-On!. (And Azuza isn't going to be underage for too much longer, although I expect she'd be more interested in college than marriage once she graduates from high school. Her lack of power (other than the Power of Rock™), OTOH...)

Have you forgotten how I've made perfectly normal girls into outrageously dangerous little vixens while somehow keeping them entirely within character?  Minmei comes to mind, though I had a lot of wiggle room there.  Wink

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Really, the more I bring in, the harder this is for Ben.  And few people would really understand how bad it is for him.

If Rei mentions anything to Usagi - and I suspect she would - then Ben can expect a personal intervention after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. Yes, Fate (not Nanoha's Fate) has dealt Ben a shitty hand. Yes, Ben's life has been miserable. But there is absolutely no reason why it needs to remain miserable. Ben has friends now; Usagi noticed how Ben and Tenchi got along at the Halloween party, just for one example. Ben's doing useful work and has the respect of his peers. And Usagi is willing to help Ben, or even just give him a shoulder to cry on, whenever he asks.

Oooh.  Ben's gonna pull the Kirk defensive here...

Quote:"Ben, you have to let me do this.  It's killing you!"

"Usagi...  You know that I love you all, right?"

Tears forming in her eyes, Usagi nodded.

"Then you understand, while I can love you as sisters, I could never..."  his voice faltered and he steadied himself.  "I could never have what I really want.  It's not my place."

"But... at least I can take you pain away."

Benn shook his head slowly.  "No.  This pain... it's part of what I am, part of what makes me me.  Yes, I've made mistakes.  Every morning I wake up alone and I confront those mistakes again and again.  But if I didn't make those mistakes in the past, would I be the person I am today?  Would I have the strength of character to stand up to the likes of Ryouko and tell her to chill?  Or to look down at Teletha and tell her she needs to ease up?  Or sweet little Nanoha, telling her that she needs to relax and be a kid while she can enjoy it?  Would I have the courage to do these every day things if I didn't have this pain?"

"You made Rei-chan cry," said Usagi softly.  "I've never seen her cry like that before.  I couldn't believe it.  Something inside of you frightened her so much that I'm afraid of letting you see her again.  And what's so terrible about that is that I cannot see how you can hold something that horrible inside of you when you are the sweetest, most kind, gentle, and loving man I have ever seen since my Mamourou or Rob-san."

"I know," he said, feeling like he was a thousand years old as he put his head to the doorway, his eyes screwed shut.  "I am so sorry that I hurt her.  I shouldn't have talked to her.  I should have just kept my distance.  As for what she saw?  She saw my soul.  She saw how it hungered for warmth - so much so that it feels like a black hole trying to pull you in.  That is what scared Rei - that I might consume her completely."

"Then... can we at least talk?"

Benjamin shrugged.  "What is there to talk about?  I've had my loves.  I either made mistakes, or they couldn't handle my intensity.  The one that I wish..."  He sighed and sat down on the couch.  "She couldn't leave her family behind.  She chose that over me.  She and I...  I could feel how we matched.  She not only handled my intensity, she let it fuel her own passion.  We'd make utterly bed-breaking love to each other, then tell me how much she loved it even though it made her sore.  And her mind was utterly diabolical.  She was studying psychology and wanted to be a profiler for serial killers - to get into their heads and discern what they were thinking.  She was twisted, in a ways.  Perverted, you might even say.  But it was something I could love and appreciate.

"And I had to leave her behind.

"And that was just the cleanest breakup I've ever had.  There's also my childhood.  I can go on and on about all the horrible things I've had to live through.  How half of my brothers were verging on being psychotic while we were growing up.  How my step-dad would berate me in front of said siblings, and then demand that I be a leader to them.  You would not believe the vindication I felt when my step-brother from my step-dad's first marriage called him out on how he treated me!  He could hardly believe his own dad would do that, but it happened right before his eyes and it disgusted him."

Benjamin then took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"You take my pain away, you're going to lobotomize me.  Because so much of my life has been hurt and suffering that taking it all away would leave me a mere shadow of myself.  I'd be just a child - naive and weak willed.  Yes, I would be happier.  But I also wouldn't be able to do even a tenth of what I do now."

And then to Usagi's surprise, he got up and then pulled her into a bone-crushing hug.  "Thank you for trying anyways.... little sister."

That was it.  The straw that broke the camel's back.  Usagi started bawling against his chest.

The world really was a horrible place.  Because not with youma, but instead with everyday people, had this man been made to suffer.  And she could do nothing about it.  But Ben knew, as she wailed pitifully, that this was just how life was.  And for this bit of pain?  Usagi herself would be a stronger, wiser person for it.

Ben only hoped that his own stamina would hold out until someone would come along, strong enough to help him shoulder the burden.

And then, just because I haven't punched you in the feels hard enough, we go out on this little gem of a classic...

Egads, I'm such an evil cuss.  Tongue

Quote:Might be interesting if a seed of attraction was planted in Nanoha of all people.  Or better yet, Ruby Rose.

So... Nanoha, Ruby, and Weiss? Misquoting Mii quoting Washuu-chan, "if you were a Juraian noble, you could marry all three of them and a couple more, too." Big Grin

Although I suspect Nanoha wouldn't be interested in anybody who wasn't also interested in Fate. (And, if we're talking post-StrikerS, he'd also need to be interested in being a parental figure for Vivio... but Ben's already qualified there.)

Oh man, and I had this little bit where Nanoha is getting teased absolutely MERCILESSLY by Fate, Hayate, and Signum the moment she makes her feelings known!  Let's see if I can recreate it...

(Bear in mind, this is about where they're all 16 - they're more or less done with their growth spurts, but the hormones are still very much raging...)

Quote:Nanoha:  "Poor Benjamin.  He feels so lonely.  I wish I was older so I could make him feel better."
Fate: "Hmm?  Why is that?"
Nanoha:  "Well, he kinda reminds me of my brother, Kyouya.  Only... not as distant.  He is so incredibly brave and strong... but Benjamin is also so warm and passionate.  He always gives the best hugs.  I love it when he hugs me.  It makes me feel nice."
Fate: "Oh?  And what about the hugs I give you~?"
Nanoha: (O///O) "Of course I love your hugs, too, Fate!  You're so important to me after all!"
Fate: *grinning an evil little grin*  "I know.  But this is the first time I've ever seen you show such interest in another man.  Could it be that you're not as homosexual as you thought~?"
Nanoha:  "No!  Benjamin is special!  I don't think I could look at anyone else the same way as him!"
Hayate: "What's going on?"
Fate: "Ah, perfect timing Hayate.  It seems that Nanoha is crushing on our apartment manager~."
Hayate: *thoughtful look* "And this doesn't matter to you?"
Fate: "Gender isn't important to me.  If Nanoha can make Ben reciprocate her feelings (which I don't think will be very hard for her to do~) then I feel I can come to love him as well.  Besides, she is right: Ben does give the best hugs."
Hayate: "Hmmm.  It's actually kinda tempting for me to get in on that."
Nanoha:  "!?!?!?!?!!!!"
Hayate:  "What?  You honestly thought that just because I've spent a few nights with you both that I was only a lesbian?  Have you ever even seen my ero collection?"
Fate: *raises an eyebrow*
Nanoha: *Nuclear Blush*
Signum:  "Master.  Fate, Nanoha...  What's going on?"
Fate: "Apparently we're discussing the merits of bedding Benjamin."
Nanoha:  *Steam starts to blow off from her head.*
Signum: *nodding sagely*  "He is quite the man.  Had he been born among us Belkans in the times of trouble, I have little doubt that he could have pulled everyone together while annihilating all that opposed him.  Truly he would have been a Knight among Knights.  No, I even dare say he could have been wed to the Sankt Kaiser and ruled Belka by her side."
Hayate: "Didn't Belka practice concubinage?"
Signum:  "Indeed.  In the more powerful families, it was viewed as a necessity in order to secure family allegiances.  And more often than not, it was the concubine that had the true love."
*All turn to Nanoha.*
Fate:  "Well, I leave it to you, Nanoha.  If you want him, then I can oblige.  It might actually be fun for us to take him together.  I've heard Sasami-chan whispering that he is a very... well, energetic lover."
Signum:  "This I have heard as well from Urd.  She said that she hadn't been bedded like that since the last time she dated a giant."
Hayate:  "You don't mean..."
Signum:  "Oh no.  I thought the same and Urd put me at ease.  He is merely modest in that area.  What caught Urd by surprise was how ferocious he was in the bed.  She said it was a shame that they weren't a good fit for each other - she could definitely get used to that kind of afterglow every morning."
Nanoha:  "every... morning... meaning..."
Signum:  "Oh yes.  Quite insatiable.  Even if all three of you worked together, I think you would be hard pressed to keep up.  No pun intended."
Nanoha: *Finally short-circuits completely and passes out with a slight nosebleed.*
Fate: "Hmmm.  It would seem that she is serious then.  I've never seen her with a nosebleed... at least not since our first time.  Hmmm, that was fun~.  Awkward, but fun."
Hayate:  "Though this time we'd have the advantage in that Ben apparently knows what he's doing."

Poor Nanoha...  Wink

Quote:Really, the only ones that I can see going for him are the ones young enough that he leaves a strong impression on them and, because they tend to be a lot less jaded, can see his limitations for what they are and are willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Which, in your SI's complex, might include Sayaka Miki and Mami Tomoe - but they're definitely still too young. (Homura Akemi is already too jaded despite her youth.)

You think so?  Wink

Quote:Akemi Homura lay awake in bed that night.

This was nothing new to her.  However, the reasons for it were quite radical: Kaname Madoka was in her arms entirely of her own volition.  And this was very much so her volition.  The three-bedroom apartment unit that Benjamin had given them had bunk bed sets in the two larger rooms, and a loft bed in the smaller room.  Initially, Homura had wanted to take that smaller room with the single bed - it would have been sufficient.  But Madoka would have none of it.  She felt that Homura needed all the company she could get after being alone for so long.  Instead, Sayaka had taken the smaller room, feeling that Mami and Kyoko had a lot of patching up to do.

Suddenly, Kaname shifted and Akemi felt her lips press gently to her own.  "It's alright," said Kaname softly in the dark.  "I can understand why it's so hard for you to sleep.  I feel the same way right now."

"That it's finally over?" said Akemi.  "That we can finally lead normal lives?"

"The first part, for sure.  The second part... Nothing is ever going to be normal for you and me, ever again.  But that's alright.  We're no longer caught up in that hell.  And no, it was not your fault.  You didn't know any better, and once you did know better, you did everything in your power to make it right for my sake.  How can I not love you for that?"

"I've still been wondering that myself," said Akemi sullenly.

"Hmm.  Maybe we should give you to Benjamin for a while?"

"... He-ehh!?"

Kaname chuckled.  "Why so shocked?  He is so much like you that it almost hurts for me to look at him.  Didn't you see him?  His eyes are just like yours once you've committed yourself to action.  He is our very own Black Knight, Akemi-chan.  He uses his pain and rage and grief, turning it into his armor and weapons.  It is a sad and terrible thing to see, but it gives him incredible power.  And every day, he struggles not to be consumed by it.

"So very much like you."

"But I was consumed..."

"No.  You weren't.  You were always there for me.  Always at each and every time.  Even those times I began to turn to a witch, you were still with me.  You never gave in.  Even- No.  ESPECIALLY when things were at their most hopeless.  You.  Were.  There.

"This is what I want you to do, Akemi-chan.  Go to him.  Live with him in his home.  Come to understand him.  He will heal you in a way you never thought possible.  Despite how he suffers, there is a profound wisdom in the ways of his heart.  Because even if he has been hurt, he has never forgotten how to love."

"But Kaname, what about you?"

Kaname chuckled softly.  "I'll be right here, Akemi-chan.  And this time, I'll be the one watching over you, praying for your heart to be healed."

Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh...

Quote:Teletha might have been nice as she'd be the type to sit down with Benjamin and match wits with him in one way or another.  But again, too young, and also carrying a torch for Sosuke - in fact, after the Halloween Party she'd probably form some kind of pact with Kaname.  While a bit annoying, Kaname can certainly appreciate Teletha and have her as sister-wife.

I can see Sosuke/Kaname/Tessa... with Teletha being the noble (Whispered plus command experience should be enough to qualify for a minor Juraian noble rank, I'd expect.)

Of course, nobody's brought in Full Metal Panic. Yet.

It's in the works...  Really, that's the next thing I plan on doing...

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: Running gag:
Person being spoken with: "Are you two related?"
Fate or Tessa, trading off: "We don't think so."

EDIT: Or, for somebody who actually speaks Italian:
Person being spoken with: "Testarossa? But you're both testa rubia."
Fate and Tessa: "Okay, that reply's new."

Ah yes.  I remember this one from the DSKS threads.  Big Grin

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: Since it's come up: What I'm thinking for my SI's building - and plans change as stories are written - is the dynamics settle down into a few different families, official or not. Usagi would insist that laws regarding polyamourous relationships apply to everyone equally (not just the nobility), and she and Mamoru together have the power and lineage to make their claim to the Sol system stick if the Juraians complain. Whether that means group marriages for everybody or for nobody remains to be seen.

Really, I think that polyamory in general is more or less, if not the norm, then socially acceptable in the greater galaxy in the Tenchi-verse.

• First Family (with a Head of State and everything): Usagi, Mamoru, and Rei, with Chibi-Usa as a dependent.
  • All alone because of that thrice-dammed curse: Minako. (Just ask her. Everyone else will consider her to be part of the building's first family, especially Usagi, Rei, and Mamoru.)
  • Second family: Luna and Artemis, with Diana as a dependent. Yeah, going with canon here - there aren't a lot of talking cats out there to add to this dynamic, and they seem more comfortable in feline form than in human form.
  • Third family: SI-Rob, Mii, Ami, and Makoto.
  • Fourth family: Kamijo Touma (who hasn't shown up yet), Mikoto, Kuroko, and Misaka Niiko (sister 10032), with Index (who hasn't shown up yet) as a dependent. Touma/Minako is canon. Touma/10032 is strongly shippable by canon; he saved her life specifically and the other clones' lives generally, she was the first person who he ever gave a gift to, and she canonically has feelings of some sort for him.
  • Fifth family: Ruiko, Kazari, and ... somebody. (Not Accelerator.)

Makes sense to me, except the bit with Venus.  What's this curse that you speak of?  I may have heard it before, but it's slipping my mind...

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: As for the Jack of Kinrowan characters, Jacky's canonically in an on-again-off-again relationship, Kate is single and wants a relationship, and Finn hasn't expressed an opinion on the matter.

I'm gonna have to go find these books...

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: I don't know (or am not sure) what to do with Accelerator, Misaka Kokono (10339), Misaka Nana (13577), Misaka Rei (19090), Misaka Misaka (20001, a.k.a. "Last Order"), and Kazakiri Hyoga (who hasn't shown up yet but by canon has a connection to Misaka Misaka). All I am sure about is (a) Misaka Misaka and Kazakiri Hyoga stay together, and (b) that Accelerator isn't about to marry the sisters of the clones girls he killed, even if he does Get A Clue™ and stops being an asshole all the time. (Luckily for him, it's canon that helping to look after Misaka Misaka is giving him at least part of that much-needed clue... but he might end up alone anyway.) It would be reasonable for spoilers-regarding-canon to include a Misaka Sister in each of the first, third, and fifth families listed above; the girls might even be interested.

Accelerator kinda strikes me as the natural loner anyhow - the one who is just fine being on his own, and having only limited contact with people.  Though I'm sure Misaka Misaka won't let him get away with that entirely.  Wink

(07-15-2018, 10:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: (And if I get any urges to add more "friendly" characters to my corner of this, please whack me over the head with a paper fan. More foes are good; more people who I'll need to write on an ongoing basis are bad.)

Kek.  I'll keep that in mind.

Dartz, the new story post looks great!  I love where you're going with it.

Rob, just saw your new one, too.  Hoo boy, he's about to have a whopper laid on him by those two, isn't he?  Wink