Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
RE: Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
(03-11-2019, 08:47 AM)Rajvik Wrote: Oh I am going to have to read this.

Yes. Yes you are.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
While not the best thing I've ever read, even within the fandom, Daphne Greengrass and the Importance of Intent is a decently amusing tale, set in the latter half of 6th year. The chapters feel kind of on the short side (like, only 5-10 minute reads) but not to because they're rushed, just that they are tightly focused on one sequence each. 71k words + 9k words of side story/follow up/etc. with more promised, ship as marked on the tin. To use Daphne's metaphor, the plot is playing checkers, not chess, but it's a very good game of checkers.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13133746/
--
‎noli esse culus
Stumbled across this one tonight. It's short, and it depicts a very different Harry Potter:

Something Like Your Family
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(06-16-2019, 09:25 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Stumbled across this one tonight. It's short, and it depicts a very different Harry Potter

That author has done a lot of HP (and other) shorts; I'm still working through the ones that caught my interest but here's another that's deserving of attention:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9960987/1/The...the-Goblet

Among its virtues is one of the best Hermione meltdowns in my memory.

Also note, I'll probably be editing a couple more into this in the next while, so if you're looking on the same day I wrote it you may find more if you check again later.
--
‎noli esse culus
(06-16-2019, 09:25 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Stumbled across this one tonight.  It's short, and it depicts a very different Harry Potter:

O_o

... Well, it's certainly accurate to what I've heard about British Boarding Schools...
(06-16-2019, 09:25 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Stumbled across this one tonight.  It's short, and it depicts a very different Harry Potter:

Did the author set out deliberately to make it nearly unreadable by jumping back and forth through time like that?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12972342/1/...-the-Right
Quote:When Harry saves Hermione's life they end up in a different world and in the middle of another magical war - but at least they have each other
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8045114/1/A...der-s-Plan
(Harry Potter)

Quote:Sirius decides to stay in England after escaping Hogwarts and makes protecting Harry his priority. AU GOF
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
He wasn't there again today is a Girl Genius one-shot, in which Agatha's trilobite choker had a perhaps unintended extra function. It's sweet, and a bit under three thousand words.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19755175
--
‎noli esse culus
Hrm.

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but it suddenly occurs to me that shorts, by their very nature, are complete the moment they hit the interwebs.  This thread, meanwhile, was more intended for the long reads that are complete works and are worthy of an archive binge.

Soooooo.... Separate recommendation thread for shorts and one-shots, maybe?  Just an idea.

*Using the tune of the Almond Joy/Mounds(tm) jingle* "Sometimes you feel like a Short - Sometimes you don't!"
I think that as long as shorts are labelled as such, and fall within the bounds of "a completed work" as in completing the basic structure of set up, climax, and denouement, they still belong together. At least, the feeling I always got was that the thread was about not getting stuck with the precipice dangle of reaching the last line of something that doesn't end so much as it stops. All too many fics run into one of those and never update again, but even the ones with regular new content can be a disappointment in the moment, and I think the root of it back in the day was that Bob printed stuff to read to Peggy and one or both didn't want to bother with it for things that weren't complete.
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-11-2011, 01:04 PM)kestrel404 Wrote: I like well written fanfiction and I like my stories to have an ending.  These two things in conjunction are none too common, but I'm always looking for the completed works that are up to snuff.

Give me what you've got.  One-shots don't count, but anything with more than one chapter and a 'complete' tag will do.  Older stuff is very much welcome, and anything that's in one of the recommendation or update threads that has finished should get posted here as well, just for completeness' sake (and because I hate having to dig through the archives looking for the word 'completed', I've done it twice already and I still find new stuff when I go back).

From Kestrel's OP at the very start of the thread.  Emphasis mine.

There's nothing really wrong with one-shots.  But I like to have something that I can really sink my literary teeth into.  And for me that usually means a long run of character development.  Every time I pop in here upon seeing there's a new post, I'm hoping for something really hefty that digs into the minds and motivations of the characters involved, and takes them in interesting directions.

Rarely does a one-shot offer that kind of slow-burn satisfaction.  And if they do?  It's because it's not really a one-shot - it's a short in a series of shorts.  Good example is Mercede's Lackey's Skitty series, about a man and a ship's cat that he's responsible for (the eponymous Skitty), and how she gets him into all kinds WTF moments because the damn cat is telepathic (with him, at least) AND fertile (she's not supposed to be)!

How bad did her shenanigans get?  Weeeelllllllll....~~
Fair enough - but I still don't think we need a dedicated thread, the regular New Fic Recs will do, In My Holy Humble Opinion. Just, again, include mention that it's a one-shot as part of the description when you leave the link there, though I'd really think that was an important detail anyway.

As for Dick's Kitty, yeah, their adventures are among my all-time favorite sci-fi yarns. Stinky rats will NOT harm the nice lady who is WITH KITTEN! Big Grin
--
‎noli esse culus
And then Dick White's Cat comes into the scene and suddenly we have kittens with military bearing and coordinated patrols!
https://archiveofourown.org/works/18542842

I was whole, whole I would remain. Lyanna has be kidnapped. Brandon Stark is a prisoner in the Red Keep. And Aerys Targaryen dies.[url=https://archiveofourown.org/users/dwellingondreams/pseuds/dwellingondreams][/url]
A short but funny 1-shot, (Dresden Files)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6464124/1/T...SDEN_STYLE
DisobedienceWriter's The House of Potter Rebuilt is now listed complete, with twice the chapter count as its original estimate. There is but one small change: Harry is inspired to be (just slightly) proactive. He studies a bit more, makes a few more friends... and things are very different.
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11933512/1
--
‎noli esse culus
Batman ‘66/ Harry Potter AU - Amy Potter ends up as Bruce Wayne’s ward while the Wizarding world believes her to be dead. Then her name comes out of the Goblet of Fire during the Tri-wizard tournament.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11806414/1/...is-Batgirl

(09-21-2019, 09:39 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Batman ‘66/ Harry Potter AU - Amy Potter ends up as Bruce Wayne’s ward while the Wizarding world believes her to be dead. Then her name comes out of the Goblet of Fire during the Tri-wizard tournament.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11806414/1/...is-Batgirl

They had Lucius Malfoy do the wizarding equivalent of falling into a vat of dangerous chemicals . . .
After a truly ridiculous amount of words (960,111 in 281 chapters...), Xendra is finished...
https://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28404/Di...Xendra.htm
SEZ
BZG
Time to put it in the Kindle and read!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
This one is maybe a little iffy, seeing as how it's technically a "complete" fic that ended on the kind of melodramatic cliffhanger that would normally torpedo any chance of a recommendation from me, and then the two chapters of the sequel that last updated in 2017... but those two chapters turn it into a decently completed story, wrapping up that cliffhanger enough that the rest can be left as an exercise for the reader without introducing new plot threads, so here it is. I went into Calibre and picked the "make anthology from URLs" option in fanficfare's drop-down, and pasted both URLs in, and it's good enough for me.

V is for Victory opens near the end of the first Avengers movie, with Jane Foster and Darcy Lewis hearing about Thor being back in NYC and heading over to meet him. They arrive just in time for the final pre-credits scene and, through Loki shenanigans, Darcy gets sent back in time to WWII with a side order of reality adjustment and memory whammy to have a life in that time and place: movie star Darcy Lewis, America's Sweetheart. currently engaged in a war bonds photo shoot. She promptly runs into pre-serum Steve Rodgers, by the kind of chance that is more magic than actual chance. Hijinks ensue.

Keep Calm and Carry On was to be a full length sequel, but as I say pretty much ends up being more like the denouement lopped off the end of its nominal prequel in the name of melodrama. It's probably telling that this is the point where it died out...

I didn't see the Cap movie to know how much of this is borrowed from it, but given it mostly follows Darcy I don't imagine it can be all that much beyond the general timeline; she talks about things with Steve that are probably more directly involved in that but isn't directly involved in action hero facepunching stuff.

Contains sex and nudity, but nothing more explicit than a bare boob and indirect descriptions that go more into emotions than actions. (At least, it didn't stick in my mind as anything particularly explicit... I wouldn't absolutely swear to it, but the sexytimes are tastefully handled to the best of my memery.)
--
‎noli esse culus
I stumbled across this one a couple days ago

It's a Star trek story, that starts as Kirk and the Friends are finishing their last joyride in the Enterprise A before returning the ship for decommissioning (so just after ST6: The Undiscovered Country)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11703999/1/One-Good-Man
Blurb: On her final cruise, the Enterprise-A encounters a damaged ship filled with refugees and captained by Mirror Universe Khan Noonien Singh.
I think One Good Man has shown up here before. It doesn't matter as it is a fantastic story anyway and more people need to know about it.
SEZ
BZG
One Good Man has shown up every couple-four years like clockwork. We were just due for another one. <grin>
-- Bob