Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: The flipside of Sturgeon's Law

As some of you probably know, I'm a big fan of the Whateley Academy stories, a shared universe that's probably had as much written for it as the Undocumented Features setting.

However of late I've been reading some of the other shared universes that the writers have (some of which make passing appearances in Whateley as in-universe fiction) and some of them have my recommendation. Note, some of these are NSFW.

Care Givers
In the early 22nd century the 25 billion people on Earth are completely dependent on Spacers for mineral resources. In a bid to keep spacers from independence, the UN passes the Protection of Women Act and woman's rights become the flashpoint of war between spacers and grounders.

Erinyes
In a cyberpunk setting, the world is rife with super-soldier processes and Themis Corp has two: their cyborg Myrmidon soldiers and the biotech process that creates the Erinyes, their elite body of amazonian soldiers.

Heaven and Hell
Based quite heavily on In Nomine, Heaven and Hell are in a state of guarded Truce, jockeying for position before the inevitable resumption of The War. Unsurprisingly this involves a lot of recruiting, not to mention clearing out the various independents that have been hiding in the shadows.

Jordan Winters
Okay, not actually a shared 'verse, but a series of short stories by Bek D Corbin, one of the best Whateley authors. Dan Winters, a teenager in a magical community that co-exists with a small American town, has received the Fool's Cap, identifying him as the butt monkey of his school. His out is to invent an alternate identity for himself that won't suffer the same penalty... a ficitious female cousin named Jordan.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

...looks awesome. However I don't want to spend a week in front of my computer trying to read it all so, pass.

Now if there was an easy way to gather the whole lot onto my kindle...

But it looks like they are actively avoiding that because a kindle version is too easily co-opted and republished...

Anathema

Kaellis Rennar, the heroic mortal squire of his cousin the Terrestrial Exalt Adlynn has enough on his plate keeping her and her circle out of trouble. He didn't need some frowned upon deity deciding to recognise his heroism with a heretical exaltation. Of course, the Unconquered Sun wasn't about to listen to excuses...

1 2 3 4 5 6
D for Drakensis

Auburn and Gold (Naruto Peggy-Sue)

TenTen dies and is sent back as a 7 year old (with memory intact), just prior to the Third Shinobi War. Good.

Speaking of Whateley, drakensis has a pretty nice AU fic out in that setting.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8722425/1/

Tansy Running High

Of course, I also liked his previous Whateley AU fic, the ZnT one. I thought it still had interesting places to go when Spacebattles, IIRC, suggested that it had maybe gone a bit too far.

Thank you for the recommendation.
D for Drakensis

dresden files oneshot. d'awww fic. little girl archive

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6392991/1/F ... Around-You

Overlady, a new Earthscorpion fic, has just hit FF.net. It is a cross of Familiar of Zero and the Overlord game series (mostly the first game), and looks to be very good.
Here's the FF.net description:

Quote:"A new overlady, you say? She's a little
short and flat-chested, although her temper is impressively vile. Oh
well. Needs must when needs must. Too long have the lands of Halkeginia
gone without true Evil. There are fluffy bunnies and happy ponies all
over the place, frollicing! It makes me quite sick! No, it doesn't
matter if she wants to or not. Because Evil always finds a way."
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Chances -- a sweet little Harry Potter/Buffy one-shot that leaves you wanting more.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Lucky Thirteen
(BtVS/Dr. Who)
From the description:
Quote:YAHF. Xander buys a cheap sonic screwdriver prop from Ethan's and decides to dress as a future regeneration of the Doctor.
The first one of these I've found readable.

Reincarnatiojn Roulette by Silver Queen
Naruto SI oneshots.
1st one is about an SI born into the Uchihas during the 2nd Great Shinobi War. Dark but very good.

http://durandall.com/brian/fanfic/mm/
Memento Mori, an amazing (but sad) new Haruhi Suzumiya fic that Durandall just finished. This one is being added to my 'save' file.
"A story about enjoying life while you have it, because once it's gone ... it's gone."
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/5184645

_Bad Boys_ is not the first Marauders-era timewarp fic I've liked, nor the first buddy-Draco, but those things are rare, rarer than a tolerable post-DH, rarest in combination. _Death Eaters and Benadryl_ by the same author is also quite amusing, though it plays a little loose with characterization for Harry and more so Hermione. Given that her having a mobile phone is normal and eminem is on the radio, that one's also shifted a decade or two closer to the present.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28620/Ox ... o+More.htm

Faith peggy sue.  Kind of cool.  Doesn't appear to have any Mary Sue factor, which is always appreciated.  Tends to be reasonably heavy on the emotional/relationship dynamic side fo things, as many BtVS stories are.  Currently only to chapter 4, and clearly still in the early bits, but it's been posted over the course of 5 days, so hopefully that'll fix itself in not too terribly long.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8416152/1/ Fear-and-Loathing
potter/teen titans fusion
His methods are brutal and terrifying. His origins as dark and mysterious as his powers. This is the story of the boy who walked in the shadows, and waged war with the criminal underground of every city he wandered into. The story of the boy they called "Wraith" and "Nightmare", and the five teens to pull him from the depths of his depression and show him that he wasn't alone.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

buffy/underworld (complete, yahf)

http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28433/Ox ... r+Side.htm

http://www.tthfanfic.org/story.php?no=28401

Far, Far Away by LegacyWeapon

(Buffy/SW)

We've seen various Buffy characters get dumped into the Star Wars 'verse before. Usually into the middle of the Clone Wars, and almost always spending most of the story struggling with the ideals of the Jedi Order of that era.

Forget all that.

This one stars Buffy and Faith, well after the TV series.

SW-verse, it's set smack in the middle of the TOR MMORPG.

Oh, and Buffy's very, very, very much not a Jedi.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8640163/1/N ... Witchcraft

A Nanoha/HP cross.

I rather like this one, as it's a fairly light take on the concept without descending into crack. It's also pretty respectful of both series and doesn't have any bashing for fanon characterizations (Like eeeeeveeel Dumbledore). It's readily obvious that the TSAB is certainly more advanced and that Nanoha and Fate are clearly well above any hogwarts student. But at the same time, the HP magic isn't completely out of its depths either and has it's own good points. Nanoha and Fate are essentially student observers for the TSAB, but there's (So far) a lack of the 'omg, how backwards can these people be?' reaction.

Basically, it's a nice solid cross that has decent characterization and is pretty fun.

s3yang Wrote:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8640163/1/N ... Witchcraft

A Nanoha/HP cross.

I rather like this one, as it's a fairly light take on the concept without descending into crack. It's also pretty respectful of both series and doesn't have any bashing for fanon characterizations (Like eeeeeveeel Dumbledore). It's readily obvious that the TSAB is certainly more advanced and that Nanoha and Fate are clearly well above any hogwarts student. But at the same time, the HP magic isn't completely out of its depths either and has it's own good points. Nanoha and Fate are essentially student observers for the TSAB, but there's (So far) a lack of the 'omg, how backwards can these people be?' reaction.

Basically, it's a nice solid cross that has decent characterization and is pretty fun.
Having just quoted its omake in the ROFL thread, I'll second this nomination.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

http://mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_ch.ph ... &id=171320

Out of Place

Description:The engineer arrives and must find his place in this new world. Those around him must help him, and weather the changes he will bring about.

Dan Gibson has a new pony fic. Because Gibson. I'm hoping this means the bits of SSM PIN lost with the Fukufics crash, IIRC, something like 27-30, are going back up. Haven't read it yet, just came across it when checking SSM for a note for a huge wall of text for one of the crossovers thread. Anyway, short of sleep as I am, I'm not going to have anything sensible to say about it even if I did manage to read it fast. (Also it looks huge.)
Edit: Read it. Slept.  Digested.  Slept again.  Kind of a parody/satire/serious implementation/deconstruction/reconstruction.  Like it fairly well.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8514773/1/Death-Game
A sword art online fic dealing with a pair of twins with weirdest luck. Stuck in a killer MMO, they have to deal with Missing Important Events, Pervs, Clipping Errors, Badly Designed Special Events, Patronising Older Players, Borked Quests, Corrupted Data Files and the Guy who took his child's game to check whether it was suitable for children.

www.fanfiction.net/s/8642442/1/Variant-Strain
Variant Strain (Spider-Man/Prototype fusion by Scriviner)
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Remember way back at the beginning of Naruto, when Sakura got whacked with the cluehammer at lunch, had some character growth, and then regressed completely by the team introduction a couple hours later? What if it took?

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/6302461

Nicely done, 1st chapter could be a shortfic on its own but wait, there's more!

ETA - Having now finished the story, it appears to be complete despite not being marked as such, or at least 'complete up to the time skip.' Given how big a bucket of collop
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Shippuden is, I'm quite happy to belive a tragic piano accident befell Kishimoto leaving the series unresolved and a true ending up to fan imagination. Anyway, WRT THIS version, I'll warn that ch2 & 3 feel like Sakura's views are changing too fast, until I realized that each scene was supposed to be days or weeks apart, interspersed with D-rank montages or parts of the Wave mission we've all seen 100 times over - and having seen it, I was quite glad. I feel that both the Tsunade and Sasuke plots were done
--

much better than canon here. I could say more but don't want to spoil... I'll just say that you'll be spoilt for the typical Suckura, Slackura, Slutkura, Slapura, or Suekura of canon and fanon alike after reading this, because for once the poor girl is written WELL. 7.75 out of 10, and for me that's a DAMN high rating.
--