Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: The flipside of Sturgeon's Law

Harry Dresden and Jack O'Neill in the same room?  Is that level of snark even survivable?

SkyeFire Wrote:Harry Dresden and Jack O'Neill in the same room?  Is that level of snark even survivable?
Jack and SG-1 themselves haven't appeared yet.  Only 2 chapters so far, with a couple months+ between them being posted, But the author does have a good grip of Dresden's personality.

So, remember that Muv Luv/Macross crossover I mentioned earlier?
 The author has written a sequel, Muv Luv: DYRL -Valkyries-
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles

_Destiny is a Hazy Thing_ is a Naruto fic with Lovecraft and D&D elements, which uses logical assessment of their actions to really give the Third, Fourth, and Kakashi a pounding. It is generally excellently written save a few ESL oddities like persistently using "as good as" for "as well as" but rest assured it is _exceedingly_ good. Also features sane, professional, yet still IC and fun Anko in a major role, which is always a plus.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/7421841
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

*a sound like a jet turbine can be heard n the background loudly*
Hear that... that is the sound of Lovecraft spinning in his grave.  I got to chapter 2.  So far this story has consisted of a very smug (to me author's note), an interesting enough prologue... followed by someone snapping and then an elder god fragment and the fox acting in nauseatingly sweet human manner towards a three year old Naruto that acts 7-8.
Does this pattern change at some point?  The humans are deeply flawed and broken and the unfathomable entities are doing thing the triumph of the human spirit things Lovecraft was specifically rebelling against.  Basically, I'm unrecommending, Destiny is a Hazy Thing, based on the two actual chapters.  At that point I was scrolling past the 'heart warming' bits.

The Third we see in canon is only an act put on by a calculating, peace at any price curmudgeon, the kyuubi and Azathoth's last remnant turned themselves into Young Gods but are still stuck in the trap of the seal and hence would be badly damaged or destroyed if he died, in saving his life (and the method used) while their assumption of godly domains was still underway compassion and a parent's love was ingrained in them, but exposure to their inhuman power and thoughts when the facade wears thin still
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

causes serious if repairable problems. Don't read it for the Lovecraft, you'll never see me reccomend anything with that 'everything is pointless, just curl up and wait for death' bs, read it for the adventures, which are actually in entirely different directions than canon. Yes, the first long bit with Naruto and his 'new parents' is sickly sweet, but you must remember, he's three there! Kids at that age are cuddlebugs and their parents are saps. If anything, he should be speaking in babytalk fragments.
--

As he gets older, things improve and occasional glimpses of "Mom & Dad's" indifference to humanity as a whole can be seen, but they remain good and caring parents. So slap a belt on ol' HP and use him to run a generator for green power, 'cause he's not going to stop spinning any time soon. This is just another reason to like it, as far as I'm concerned - if I want to have the futility of existence rubbed in my face, I have no need to look to fiction. More the opposite.

But then, as Ranma said after
--

encountering the Mythos (or at least the Dreamlands) and being unmoved, "If nothing you do matters, all that matters is what you do."
--

Lovecraft isn't about "the futility of existence". His work is one part cautionary tale ("let sleeping dragons lie"), one part "thank god that poor sap isn't me" (it's mostly in first-person, and it's all framed to put the reader at one remove from the action), and one part dark and disturbing surrealism. It's meant to be frightening, or simultaneously tempting and disturbing, but only occasionally depressing.

I'm reminded of the Dresden Codak strip from 2009 or so, "Cave Man Science Fiction..." I dislike original flavor Mythos because I believe no dragon should go unpoked. Lazy, sleeping dragons get fat after all, and their scales go dull and ragged.
--

I will note that if you're after strange angles and entities whose mere sight is madness and presence is death, it builds up to that by the Sound/Sand/Sky invasion. If happen to have read my _Bubblegum Disaster,_ DiaHT basically does what I did to Megatokyo with the DD and Largo to Konoha.
--

I have to admit I was rather surprised to see who/what Naruto's friendly neighborhood cosmic horror once was.
The real brain-bending part was the line that gave it away- for some reason, it made me think of the character's identity, Truth from FMA, and the aria for a Reality Marble, all at once.
For him, would all of reality *be* the marble?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:a bright and bitter flame is *glorious*
Oh, cool! FanfictionDownloader 0.7.2 recognizes the site and automatically retrieves all the chapters in one fell swoop!
Of course, AO3 has this handy dandy "Entire Work" button, and offers multiple download options. No extra tools required.

Is there a convenient method of tracking stories there? I really should explore it more, but most recs seen are for ffn, and my favorites list has grown long quite quickly...
--

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Is there a convenient method of tracking stories there? I really should explore it more, but most recs seen are for ffn, and my favorites list has grown long quite quickly...
I have over 900 fics on my FFN favorites list... Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

If you're talking about Fanfiction.net, you can set it to email you each time a story is updated, if you're registered. It's currently called "Follow".

Jinx999 Wrote:If you're talking about Fanfiction.net, you can set it to email you each time a story is updated, if you're registered. It's currently called "Follow".
It also doesn't work.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

It works for me...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I meant AO3, but didn't intend to send the thread cartwheeling off on another long digression... to be back on topic, I will note that the author of DiaHT also has a few other stories, including a nifty one where Sasuke isn't that upset about his pushy, annoying, emotionally distant clan having been killed, thanks (and a lot of the "what the- THAT'S JUST STUPID!!" things are taken on from a different angle entirely) and a Draco mulligan I'm pretty sure has been recc'ed here before but bears repeating.
--

I am 7 chapters into "Destiny is a Hazy Thing", and its starting to be just a garden variety "fix fic", where the OC finagles away all of Naruto's main problems, with a nice helping of bashing for the canon characters.
Worse, its also very heavy on the exposition and less on the "show", so to speak.
Does it get better at some point?

I can't remember now exactly how far that is, but up until team assignments that is pretty much all there is to do - build up skills, general knowledge, and freindships. Given that those were canon Naruto's weaknesses, it basically is a fix fic for that period... but it's all necessary groundwork for the upgraded and new opposition and events. This author does tend to have a really poor opinion of most of the authority figures in the setting, though, the Third in particular, thus they are also antagonists.
--

Olivine Romance.

This is Jasmine and her Steelix. Jasmine is the Gym Leader of Olivine City. Okay, despite the FF.net summary (Jasmine is a young adult now, but even as her fellow Gym Leaders mature she remains notoriously shrewish and abrasive towards romance and sex. Her friends have had enough and hatch a plot to get her laid.), this story is definitely a slow burner in that area and it's more of an emotional maturation journey. I'm much more interested in the author's world building, both on the Pokemon League and the life as a gym leader, and the pretty awesome pokemon battles. Probably the best and most intelligent fights I've read in terms of strategy and sneakiness. If nothing else, read Chapter 41 for my favorite one in this fic thus far. 

A fic I stumbled across today on Spacebattles forum:

'Ere We Go! (In which a spacebattler gets SI'd into a 40K Ork WarBoss)

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... si.241026/

Timote Wrote:A fic I stumbled across today on Spacebattles forum:

'Ere We Go! (In which a spacebattler gets SI'd into a 40K Ork WarBoss)
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... si.241026/

This story very much reminded me of somebody writing in 1997, style wise.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"