Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: The flipside of Sturgeon's Law

It's a craze that's been sweeping SB for the last few months. Hell, even I've gotten into it in a slightly weird way....

Herr Bad Moon Wrote:
Timote Wrote:A fic I stumbled across today on Spacebattles forum:

'Ere We Go! (In which a spacebattler gets SI'd into a 40K Ork WarBoss)

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... si.241026/

This story very much reminded me of somebody writing in 1997, style wise.
Ummm, is that good or bad?
If you're refering to the 'self insert' part, it's fairly common on the forum, usually triggered by some sort of ROB (Random Omnipotent Being, occasionally with Bastard as a prefix),  Q is often (but not always) the ROB in Trek themed SIs.

Writing in 1997 and thus fitting within mailing lists file size limits, perhaps?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

What I meant was that it reminded me of fics written during a time when there wasn't nearly as much fan writing out there and would have been considered decent then but the bar has been upped since insofar as SI's go.

In other words, I read half the first post and thought it was terrible enough not to bother with it.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

naruto/street fighter. little Sakura dreams. (past life) this has an index pointing to story snippets.

Cuteness, awww and stuff like a fun camping trip to the forest of death with mommy.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... ed.243816/
2nd thread:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... ed.247254/
Some Harry Potter AUs
An old AU that had been mentioned before (I think) has reached its 140th chapter, with the beginning of Book Seven. Prince of the Dark Kingdom is an AU where a sane Voldemort is a follower of the old druidic gods, and conquered Magical Britain ten years ago, imposing not concentration camps but strict segregation from the muggles, forcible integration and confiscation/obliation of muggleborn chidren. The Potters fled Britain to live as muggles in Europe, but an accident leaves Harry orphaned and he is sent to the Dursleys by muggle social services, where he gets picked up among other muggleborns. He soon catches the eye of the Dark Lord, who despite the prophecy decides to make him into his disciple and putative heir. The setting adds druidic magic and old gods, meddling Fae, and Stalin!Voldemort.

The other one is Firebird's Son by Darth Marrs. Here, there are a few biological differences between magicals and muggles, which enforce a stricter separation, and more importantly a matriarchal polygamic society, where the wizards may be paid some lip service but the real power lies in the witches that bound them. The kind of society that would would not keep Tom Riddle from becoming a monster, but make him even worse... and it might deserve him. There is plenty of evil to go around everywhere in this AU, and a more naive Harry is off the deep end. Fair warning: like most from this author, this story is meant to be disturbing (sex, rape, and power politics among both kids and adults), and the latest chapter - 15 - while staying within FFnet regs should be considered NSFW.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... on.248445/

Familiar of Zero/Pokemon. Louise summons... magikarp?

Wanders between dark and comedy. Worth the read.

If we're going to be reccing SB threads, I may as well put forward Triggerhappy's Halkegenia Online for general entertainment.
ZnT and SWORD ART ONLINE cross over when Louise botches a summon even more severely, perhaps, than Green Sun Illuminates The Void.  Instead of failing outright her spell goes completely haywire... and suddenly 61,000 Faerie are pulled out of VR and into the reality of Tristian.
And one freaking huge World Tree.
And all the monsters.
May you live in interesting times indeed.
TH is one of those rare people who does wonderful OCs, and he's put together some really entertaining personalities for racial leaders who we didn't get to meet in canon.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I've been avoiding volume 2 of SAO because of its blatant genre-shift into harem hijinks on top of being a sequel-grab, and rendering a previously (at least somewhat) strong female character into a princess waiting to be rescued.
How much of volume 2 do I need to be familiar with to follow "Halkegenia Online"?
Edit: yeah, glancing at the translation at baka-tsuki I am reminded of the brother-complex stuff added onto the harem BS. That made me throw shout at my screen the first time.

You don't really need all that much familiarity. HO starts dead in the middle of Volume 2 and everything VERY rapidly becomes completely irrelevant.

As for 'harem hijinks' .. not THAT meme again. I mean, all the girls who hang around Asuna are cute and all, but talking about them like they were a harem? She only has eyes for Kirito.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I read a brief summary somewhere about this that and the other girl making a play for Kirito, and read far enough into the actual translation to get into the brother-complex and "not *really* related" handwave and kind of shelved it.
Between that and the woman-in-the-fridge aspect and the creepy kidnapper setup for the new villain, I just went "meh, no thanks".

Fun Fact about the women in Kirito's life: Asuna is the one who's gotten a marriage proposal and they're mostly HER friends and hang around with Asuna more than anything else. The only one who hangs out with Kirito more has a relationship best described as 'Shellshocked fellow traveler.'

(Not to say Shinon isn't fun. Because she certainly is. But she has the same defense against her own trauma Kirito does: Trolling.)
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I thought they were really related, just not quite as closely related as brother and sister? And really, the whole thing with Lyfa seems to me like a pretty mild example of the type anyway.

I think there might be a couple more girls that have a somewhat more serious interest in Kirito, but they don't really come up in Fairy Dance that I recall.

And there is one major plot point in the fic that probably won't make sense if you haven't read it. (Which also involves Asuna doing something to contribute to her own rescue, so yeah.)

-Morgan, totally wants to see more stories about Asuna having a harem. Or any stories about it.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.

Big Time LN Spoilers: >
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Kirito's single-mindedness does sometimes get on my nerves. I want to see more OT3s too.

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.

gabriel blessing over at http://m.fanfiction.net/u/1263379/gabriel-blessing has a new story out. I have reservations about recommending it. Mainly, be very sure to read, and understand, the warnings that he has provided. The crossover alone should be warning enough, but not everyone will be familiar with it. Sankarea is by the person who did Umisho, and several other series that might be relevant to guessing what sort of stuff happens in Sankarea. Sankarea has a guy with a zombie fetish, who discovers how to raise the dead, as well as a girl he likes who dies. (Note that gabriel blessing's description of said girl squares fairly well with my understanding.)

Anyway, fairly dark, and I suspect this means we will see a chapter of In Flight in a few weeks or so. I dunno how to weight the odds of seeing the rest of In Flight before the next darker story that he writes. The WAFF and comedic elements worked for me. Would reread again.

Question, that the same fic as is at:

http://m.fanfiction.net/u/2526075/zero0hero

If Berk's interpretation is entirely correct, wouldn't the (possibly extra-canonical) There Is But One Ultimate Way count as Asuna harem. Or is that me being a jerk? Wink

Question for Berk: Do you think we know enough about Alice to say where she stands with things?

My understanding is that the relationship issues between Kirito and the Sister partly predated the Death Game. (IIRC, he found out about the cousin thing, lacked the social fu to handle it, and gradually drifted out of contact with her.)

That said, I think Berk pretty much nailed it, allowing for range of personal interpretation. I tend to prefer the Kirito/Asuna interpretation.

RE: Alice & Company.

We don't actually know how anything in Alicization is going to go now because a major event of the web version of this arc has been thrown completely out. Everything from here forward has been butterflied.
Web Novel vs LN Spoiler:
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Blind Stars of Fortune [Naruto, Time Travel]
Author's description: Thirty year old Kakashi was supposed to have been killed by Pein during
the Invasion. Instead, he wakes up in the body of his twenty year old
self. (It gets a lot more complicated.) Time travel.

This is a relatively new story, posted in mid-February. Typically I wouldn't recommend something this new, but it has six moderately long chapters so far, so the author either writes fast, or has had this in the works for some time.Yes, this follows the traditional formula of a character getting a second chance and righting his wrongs. But it's one of the best takes on it I've ever seen, in terms of pacing, setup, and technical skill of writing.
The author writes good dialogue, and has a good sense of atmosphere. There's a considerable focus on domestic politics and ninja village scheming, but it comes off as convincing (at least to me) and not overdone. Combine that with heartwarming moments of fluff and humour, and I like this. I'm keeping an eye on this one.
-- Acyl

For those who followed the HP AU Brutal Harry by LordsFire, it was revised about six months back, and the sequel (Hero Harry) is out, and updated to chapter 8 today.

a new Girl Genius /Calvin & Hobbes crossover by Samarkand.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... us.251445/

Regarding SAO and Halkeginia Online: I've just finished watching the entire anime, so far as it exists, of SAO, and read the first three LNs.

Harem hijinx? Unseen. Kirito does leave a trail of broken hearts behind him, but there's no suggestion that there will ever be any action on that front.

Asuna as "damsel in distress"? Yes, there's an element of that. She does make attempts to escape, and nearly succeeds. She is, inside, still the valiant warrior we saw in Aincrad. And while I haven't gotten to the non-animated portions yet, I'm sure that we will see that side return.

As for how Halkeginia Online treats the "damsel in distress" side... it chucks it out the window, throws a grenade after it, then stomps on the pieces. Those who missed Asuna the Flash will not be disappointed.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I will second the Girl Genius/ Calvin and Hobs Crossover.

TTH had a challenge up, recently, to "give xander a starship after the halloween spell ends" (don't ask what a zeppo needs with a starship), and a couple have been providing me with some amusement, even if they're not exactly catcher in the rye:

leviathan jr -- dawn goes as talyn from farscape and xander as a peacekeeper captain

i AM the starship -- xander goes as the "ship made flesh" but his body gets destroyed as the halloween spell ends, so he gets transferred back to the ship

the sunnydale saga -- xander & co go as various characters from different points in the macross/robotech story...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Two others of those are pretty decent, 'thou they haven't been updated recently. And a couple more of them I'm on the fence about due to not enough content yet.

Startrek/BtVS/SG Crossover
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28697/HM ... ty+Box.htm
Willow and Xander dress as their Star-trek RPG characters in honor of Jesse's memory, while Buffy decides a comm-badge would be pretty. Meanwhile on the Stargate side of things Apophis is on his way and Daniel has just got back from the Quantum Mirror.

nBSG/SG/BtVS Crossover **Warning! as of the end of current writing Xander is largely replaced by his costume persona of Karl Agathon**
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28765/Ab ... Lovers.htm
This is the only ship of the line fic I know that pulls one of the crossed characters wholesale into the Sunnydale universe. Best parts of this are the Stargate side misunderstanding of the situation.

There were a couple threads on SpaceBattles based on that Challenge as well. I don't think they've updated for a couple months or more.