Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: The flipside of Sturgeon's Law

The Save Button is Your Freind has a few ... issues ... okay, a lot of issues. It's worth putting up with them, though, to see the God of Shinobi do battle in chapter 18.

Bow down, mortals. Bow down and pray.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

A while back, Rorshach's Blot put out some cracktastic what-if plot bunnies about Anko becoming Team 7's instructor through a misunderstanding.  I've always liked them an was disapointed that there wouldn't be more.  Recently I disovered that another author has adopted the story with Rorshach's permission.  Therefore I present: Squad 7 and their Accidental Instructor.
The first four chapters and the first bit of nubmer five are a repost and slight polishing of Roshach's stuff, with original material following.  The crack overfloweth here and while the new guy isn't quite on Rorchach's level, he's doing a respectable job and is starting to find his own method and style as the new stuff progresses.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
The Save Button is Your Freind has a few ... issues ... okay, a lot of issues. It's worth putting up with them, though, to see the God of Shinobi do battle in chapter 18.

Bow down, mortals. Bow down and pray.
It's cracky as anything, and I found some of the beginning bits kind of harsh on my suspension of disbelief even so, but once they hit their stride, it's actually pretty awesome.  ...and yes, that bit is pretty awesome.

Here are a couple new fics I've started following on Twisting the Hellmouth:

Flowers and Time: An Evans' Story (Harry Potter) Losing both Vernon and an unborn Dudley makes for a very different Petunia to find Harry Potter left on her doorstep... Each chapter is a tiny vignette, a moment in life, and it's all laced with melancholy that seems to be growing fainter as Harry grows older in Petunia's loving care.

Harry Potter and the echo of the White Witch (Potter/Buffy) The flipside of YAHF -- when the Scoobies dress as Potter characters for That Halloween, the effects turn out to go both ways -- Harry, Hermione, Sirius and Luna all find themselves with knowledge and talents they didn't have before. Light and fun.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8890643/1/R ... xaggerated
5 short scenelets of possible ways that Coulson survived getting skewered by Loki so as to star in the planned SHIELD TV show.

When Gabriel Blessing wants a break from his main project (Hill of Swords, In Flight) he will often pump out some other oddball crossover or reinterpretation that catches his fancy   These side projects will probably be glorious, are more often than not disturbing, and often include somewhat obscure series I never heard of until he uses them.  I'm only up to the second chapter but I hearby recomend his current diversion, Monsters of the Wild.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Interviewing Trey
Banter Latte, the author of "Interviewing Leather" has started a new story - a sequel.

Quote:Deadpan29 wrote:
When Gabriel Blessing wants a break from his main project (Hill of Swords, In Flight) he will often pump out some other oddball crossover or reinterpretation that catches his fancy   These side projects will probably be glorious, are more often than not disturbing, and often include somewhat obscure series I never heard of until he uses them.  I'm only up to the second chapter but I hearby recomend his current diversion, Monsters of the Wild.
Oh man...  Proceed with caution on this one, folks!  The characters from the protagonist's past are based on Monster Girl Quest, an H-RPG game from Japan.  I have no idea if they're going to show up again in this story, but... fair warning!
EDIT: Whoops.  Never mind.  Alice is there.

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:

Oh man...  Proceed with caution on this one, folks!  The characters from the protagonist's past are based on Monster Girl Quest, an H-RPG game from Japan.  I have no idea if they're going to show up again in this story, but... fair warning!
EDIT: Whoops.  Never mind.  Alice is there.
I did say "more often than not disturbing" and his last few have been:--- Air Gear crossed with canibal zombies--- Kenichi crossed with vampires and other dark supernaturals--- Evangelion crossed with Slenderman
I kind of thought this was common knowledge at this point, but if a NSFW warning was needed, I appologize.  On the other hand, while it is clear that the main character is having sex, there aren't any real lemon scenes.  Given his other works above, I'm expecting gore more than sex, so be forewarned of that.
----------

A while back, Rorshach's Blot put out some cracktastic what-if plot bunnies about Anko becoming Team 7's instructor through a misunderstanding.  I've always liked them an was disapointed that there wouldn't be more.  Recently I disovered that another author has adopted the story with Rorshach's permission.  Therefore I present: Squad 7 and their Accidental Instructor.
The first four chapters and the first bit of nubmer five are a repost and slight polishing of Roshach's stuff, with original material following.  The crack overfloweth here and while the new guy isn't quite on Rorchach's level, he's doing a respectable job and is starting to find his own method and style as the new stuff progresses.
It seems this plot bunny by Rorshach is a popular one.  While hunting for the continuation above to check for updates I found a different one by another author who does more rewriting of the original material and makes some changes to the setup.  Hence: The Accidental Sensei.  
----------

The Prince Who Was Promised
Harry Potter died at the ripe age of two hundred. But Death is not done with him, and neither is prophecy.Harry Baratheon, "second" son of Robert and Cercei, was born with dark hair, green eyes, and access to the memories a wizard from another world. And the day he manages to build a working wand, the world is going to change.
Very well written fic. At six chapters in two months, the prologue is just finished, so the author is in for a long haul, hopefully he will keep the pace.

It seems this plot bunny by Rorshach is a popular one.  While hunting for the continuation above to check for updates I found a different one by another author who does more rewriting of the original material and makes some changes to the setup.  Hence: The Accidental Sensei.  
IMNSHO, 'Team Anko' - the latest one linked - is the best of the lot, and the most well-thought-out.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/704773 ... rs/1300211
How the Mouth Changes Its Shape
Holmes and Watson as lesbians after WWII (with a bit about Holmes as a girl at a boarding school during the war)

It's really pretty awesome (though there are chunks that are distinctly non-work-safe).

http://archiveofourown.org/works/461340/chapters/795207
Ironsides
Avengers movieverse, with primary POV character Antonia Carter Stark

Likewise awesome. Likewise not entirely worksafe.

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Quote:IMNSHO, 'Team Anko' - the latest one linked - is the best of the lot, and the most well-thought-out.
On the strength of this recommendation, I decided to give the story another look. I'm glad I did. It surprised me - the initial stuff was very very cracktastic, enough that it turned me off on reading it. But the later parts are...less cracky. Still amusing, but there's some serious thought here. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.
-- Acyl

Quote:Acyl wrote:
Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Quote:IMNSHO, 'Team Anko' - the latest one linked - is the best of the lot, and the most well-thought-out.
On the strength of this recommendation, I decided to give the story another look. I'm glad I did. It surprised me - the initial stuff was very very cracktastic, enough that it turned me off on reading it. But the later parts are...less cracky. Still amusing, but there's some serious thought here. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.
Yeah. The opening is mostly copied from Blot, and was intended as crack.
After that, the author gets into some serious worldbuilding and cuts loose with the fun.
For example, the discussion on henge and gender options.
And pretty much all of the "Headmaster Kakashi" scenes.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

These instructor Anko stories have generated way more discussion than I expected when I brought them up, to the point that it's getting to be out of place in this thread, but I'm going to put in my two cents before I drop it. I like them both but personally prefer the more cracky one by Older than Time.
1) I like the crack.
2) My reaction to a lot of the world building by the Raven Sennin in the other one ranges from "I've seen it before" to "WTF does this contribute to the story". As much as I am a fan of One Piece, the repeated references thrown in here tend to fall into the "WTF does this add" column. Likewise the stuff about Naruto and other Uzumaki people having to take medication regularly.
----------

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8721495/5/ How Darcy Lewis Mentally Scarred the Avengers is a bit crack and contains mention of Barton/Coulson and Stark/Rogers shipping (nothing unsafe for work, though) but is still packed with lols, and the linked chapter is a very nice character piece from JARVIS's perspective. There's also a sequel, called ...And Everyone Else.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8285531/1/A ... of-Chances

A time loop series with Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke sharing the loop. One loop per chapter although far from every loop is included. Thus far they've been Hoteliers, Orochimaru's students, heroes of Leaf, film-makers...
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Quote:How Darcy Lewis Mentally Scarred the Avengers
Okay, yeah, it's crackfic, but still... this Darcy is waaaaaay too madcap for my WSOD to accept.  The Nick Fury chapter pretty much pegged my "over the top" meter. 
-- Bob
---------

drakensis Wrote:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8285531/1/A ... of-Chances
I'd really love to see the Ch3 loop done as a full fic - Rational If Not Sane Orochimaru is one we rarely get to see, a protagonist one even less.
--

potter/starwars crossover. the first one shows harry's point of view and is the main fic. The other shows the starwars point of view and is the secondary fic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8501689/1/T ... -the-Force
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8594589/1/T ... -the-Force

Here's a fic I stumbled across last week

'My Daughter After All' (Buffy/X-Men)
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-1772/Luc ... er+All.htm
Summary: Faith's father has just found out that his baby girl is going to prison.

RediscoveryMiles Vorkosigan's homeworld of Barrayar was cut off from galactic civilisation for centuries. But how was it found again and what happened - here's a fanfiction to explore this period and the nascent Barrayaran Empire.
Tales from the Academy & LieutenantsMiles Vorkosigan struggled to surpass prejudice and earn a place in the Barrayar military. Now another cadet is trying to do the same, facing familiar prejudices for a slightly different reason. Is Barrayar ready for a female officer and gentleman?
Tales from the Academy & LieutenantsNot a cut and paste of the above links or of the story - but a somewhat similar group of cadets begin their naval careers in the Honorverse. Goes AU due to books written since.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

This is an oldie, re-discovered while going through bookmarks that I haven't looked at in years: The (sur)Real World

this is the story of seven ordinary people
(or so the television studio thought)
picked at randon
(or so the producers thought, anyways)
to live in a house, and find out what happens when people stop acting scripted,
and start acting real

Oh, yeah, incomplete as it is, that's a classic, and a lot of fun.
ETA:  Don't skip the side stories, either.  My favorite is the one where Ranma finds out that Nuku-Nuku is (sort of) a cousin -- and leaps to the incorrect conclusion that she's another Catfist victim...  
-- Bob
---------