Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
RE: Completed Fanfiction Recommendations
(01-22-2020, 03:43 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: I can't stop laughing at ' if it's not Gene, it's fanfiction.' Sorry itsune.

Yeah, that is amusing.

My take: If you're getting paid (royalties or flat-fee) for the writing by the company that owns the rights, then it ain't fanfic any more. And I don't care what your name is.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Of course, if you are being payed by the individual and/or company that own the rights it may not be fanfiction, but that doesn't mean it's good writing. Turns out that plenty of published and well respected authors have published books that are not great to very bad indeed.
Granted.

Btu somehow I still feel I have somehow created a monster that has hijacked the thread
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Very good point. This really belongs elsewhere.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
A suggestion: a thread to compare and contrast the works of an author - their previous fanfic and their later sanctioned and compensated work.
Bwaaa? There is such a thing?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Ship Of Fools by Derek M (an AU/spinoff of Taylor Varga by mp3.1415player)
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...ete.53347/

Summary provided by Jonn Wolfe
Quote:Ship of Fools
Quote: A Taylor Varga Omake

Ship of Fools, by Derek M.
Category: Worm Crossovers
Genre: lizards! lizards everywhere!
Published: Feb 16, 2019
Completed: Jan 20, 2020
Words: 340k
Rating: Hilarious
Content: 77 Chapters
Source: Sufficient Velocity
Downloaded with: omnibuser
Summary: The Lizards go Multiversal… much to the horror and amusement of higher beings everywhere.

If you are unfamiliar with Taylor Varga, it's a Worm AU/crossover where upon being stuffed in the Locker, Taylor trigger is superseeded by a Higher Power bionding her to The Varga, an immense reptillian Demon. Hijinks ensue, Lizards run rampant, and a large number of people are confused.
(01-27-2020, 01:41 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Ship Of Fools by Derek M (an AU/spinoff of Taylor Varga by mp3.1415player)
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...ete.53347/

Summary provided by Jonn Wolfe
Quote:Ship of Fools
Quote: A Taylor Varga Omake

Ship of Fools, by Derek M.
Category: Worm Crossovers
Genre: lizards! lizards everywhere!
Published: Feb 16, 2019
Completed: Jan 20, 2020
Words: 340k
Rating: Hilarious
Content: 77 Chapters
Source: Sufficient Velocity
Downloaded with: omnibuser
Summary: The Lizards go Multiversal… much to the horror and amusement of higher beings everywhere.

If you are unfamiliar with Taylor Varga, it's a Worm AU/crossover where upon being stuffed in the Locker, Taylor trigger is superseeded by a Higher Power bionding her to The Varga, an immense reptillian Demon. Hijinks ensue, Lizards run rampant, and a large number of people are confused.

Sequel to be started soon according to author
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Not sure if I should post this here or over in fanfic updates, the writer finished several chapters, while I wasn't looking

Duty of Care has been completed with the chapter 9 graduation.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13399749/1/Duty-of-Care

It's the Ranma Fanfic told from the point of view of the head of Ranma's new school after the old one was destroyed.

HMelton
After about three years, Stargon's Heroes, Assemble! has posted its final chapter, just days after I discovered this mashup of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with...the wizarding world?

Quote:After five years travelling the world, Harry Potter has landed in New York. He figures that there's no better place than the city that never sleeps to settle in and forge a new life. If only the heroes, villains, aliens and spies had received the message. Begins just before the Avengers movie and continues through the MCU. Expect a long story with some extra faces along the way.

(It actually begins right around the end of the first Iron Man movie.) HP purists, and/or MCU purists, may be too distracted by their itching brains to enjoy it fully, but the author's put definite and careful thought into fitting the two fictons together, just as Corisanna has done with As N Approaches Infinity's component canons.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/13054713
Storm of Yesterday by ShayaLonnie

Quote:Hunted by Voldemort, Hermione and Harry make a last stand in Godric's Hollow. When the Boy-Who-Lived lives no more, Hermione is thrown back in time into another battle where she has a chance to save not only Harry, but another Potter. — Begins Mid Deathly Hallows, AU going forward.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/1...f-Learning

Mother of Learning: Zorian, a mage in training, only wanted to finish his education in peace. Now he struggles to find answers as he finds himself repeatedly reliving the same month. 'Groundhog Day' style setup in a fantasy world.

Original fantasy setting. 107 chapters. Over 820,000 words.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Don't forget the nine years of writing for MoL.
SEZ
BZG
Found this one earlier today and ended up devouring it during my lunch and break at work today:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/192669...s/45820294

Quote: In which Ned asks the right questions at the right time, and Jaime keeps most of his vows. The important ones at least.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
DianaMoth's The Yondaime's Assistant has been complete for a while (and may have been mentioned before) but just received an AU one-shot that brought it up on my favourites list again and brought it to mind. It's been long enough that I wouldn't swear to it's quality compared to top rankers, but it was at least good enough that I do remember it when prompted.
--
‎noli esse culus
Mauling Snarks by CmptrWz (Worm AU) is now complete after 2 and a half years and over 280 chapters
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...st-9221181
For those unfamiliar with Mauling Snarks, it's a 1.5m word Worm fic where the basic set-up of shards is a bit better - rather than driving their hosts to conflict, they're pushed to use their powers, preferably new ways. Taylor Hebert's shard is budded off from that of her Uncle Jacob, letting her project blunt impacts and, perhaps more importantly, to talk to shards - aka 'snarks'.

The story covers a year in close detail, as the plot unfolds of Taylor gradually pushing back boundaries and (sometimes inadvertantly) solving problems for people. It is possible to miss the plot as Taylor also handles such day to day issues as painting a room, painting a bus, going on vacation, taking over the Wards, becoming the most feared and respected Parahuman on the planet and making friends.
The Dementor attack on Harry during the summer after his fourth year leaves him on the verge of having his wand snapped. Unwilling to leave anything to chance, Sirius Black sets events into motion which will change Harry's life forever. HP/HG/FD
Heart & Soul

A couple of completed Mass Effect fanfics by FrankLeroux:

Tango 'Til They're Sore is a Mass Effect 2 AU. Primarily - though not exclusively - from the viewpoint of an alternate Donnelly, the Normandy SR-2's engineer. This is a man who's seen some shit, and is very sanguine about the half-naked crazy biotic bunking underneath his workspace. Departs significantly from the canon events of ME2. Which is how it should be, because otherwise what's the point?

Long Black Road is a John Wick/Mass Effect fusion. Yeah. John Wick in Mass Effect. This was considerably less silly than I thought it would be. Set in the same AU as Tango (and intersects with the Normandy cast towards the end). For all intents and purposes, Long Black Road is a heist movie. John Wick leading a heist crew in the ME setting isn't something I expected, but I'm glad to have read it.

Tango has an incomplete epilogue/sidestory/sequel, but the main story is indeed complete (and as the author notes, the followup story is meant to be a light character piece rather than a full sequel).
https://archiveofourown.org/collections/...s/23529517
I Got You (Dreaming of Sunshine recursive fic, a long one-shot).

synopsis:

"Congratulations, you're an honorary member of Team Seven."

She didn't say it every loop. Despite not remembering things, Shikako only brought it out when Shino learned something new and disturbing. It didn't occur to Shino the first time she said this, but after hearing her say it for the first time for the fifth time, Shino understood.

"That is less of a statement of honor and more of a statement of sympathy."
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
I have found a nice Harry Potter story I would like to share:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10937871/1/Blindness
Quote: Harry Potter is not standing up in his crib when the Killing Curse strikes him, and the cursed scar has far more terrible consequences. But some souls will not be broken by horrible circumstance. Some people won't let the world drag them down. Strong men rise from such beginnings, and powerful gifts can be gained in terrible curses. (HP/HG, Scientist!Harry)

https://archiveofourown.org/series/1076316

"Umino Iruka and the Will of Fire" is complete as of quite recently.

Umino Iruka, Chuunin of Konohagakure, is catapulted into the middle of the experiment that would've killed Pandora Lovegood. He ends up taking a teaching position at Hogwarts while looking for a way to get home.

Say hello to all the butterflies, Harry.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
The Spectacular Spider-Mom is an MCU/Metroid crossover, where Snapped-away Spidey drops in on the tail end of a Space Pirate suppression mission. Hijinks ensue, including shapeshifters, clones, and a local counterpart of Miles Morales getting involved. A mid-credits epilogue scene of moderately dubious canonicity was added this weekend past, along with some talk of a possible sequel, but the fic as it stands is complete, and lots of fun despite not knowing anything about Metroid's lore beyond what's in it, and having done my best to ignore the MCU since they announced they were bringing the idiotic Civil War crap into it from the comics.
--
‎noli esse culus
Katsuragi-san's Dragon Maid is possibly the comfiest Eva fic ever. Misato helps Tohru, a wounded dragon, while walking home a bit drunk one night, and after assuming a human form she becomes a maid for Misato and Shinji, quickly worm-- Cool wyrming her way into their hearts. Shinji meets a perfectly normal girl from a class or two ahead and they have a sweet, emotionally healthy and fulfilling romance. Tohru proceeds to disrupt various deeper plots either innocently or on the grounds that Misato wouldn't like them. More dragons show up. Cutes and fluffles abound. Ritsuko, Rei, and even Asuka get at least a start on having their heads unfucked. True love and giant multi-ton flying lizards prevail. It's ... just nice.

Eight chapters, 104k words
--
‎noli esse culus
..... Yeah, if there's anyone I'd trust to unfuck the scenarios of Gendo and SEELE, it'd be Tohru.  Hell, given what we've seen of the cosmology from Miss Kobayahsi's Dragon Maid she's probably even read the Dead Sea Scrolls herself a few times.