Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
I'll do it - but only after I have the configuration document set up the way we want it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We might need to watch this account - only one "contribution" so far, but that was re-opening a closed thread marked "Troll" on Talk:Main Page when it was closed.

I've deleted the thread altogether.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I saw that and made a mental note to keep an eye on them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Playing in my sandbox - and I could use some help with one of the projects. Specifically, this one.

If we all work together on it, it might be finished in a decade or so... but it has to be done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is there a character naming trope about using aristocratic names for high-class characters? I just noticed that were an awful lot of names I recognized among rich Japanese characters were on this list of Kuge families.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Named After Somebody Famous?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-19-2020, 08:51 PM)robkelk Wrote: Playing in my sandbox - and I could use some help with one of the projects. Specifically, this one.

If we all work together on it, it might be finished in a decade or so... but it has to be done.

I'm still working on another of your lists, but when I'm done with it I'll have to find something new to do... This looks as good as any other task.  <grin>

I've been watching your progress on this, btw, and you have more patience and focus than I do -- I bow to you.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Quote:Named After Somebody Famous?
That seems like the best choice unless you want to create a Japanese media subtrope.
-- Bob

Can someone please sit on Kuma and keep him/her from spawning new half-literate tropes before anyone can clean up the ones he/she has already made?

And can someone please pick one of Kuma's tropes and clean it up and launch it before he/she "fixes" it further?

I'm sorry, I react so poorly to Kuma's writing that I honestly can't do it myself.
-- Bob

I really, really want to find the TV Troper who thought it was a great idea to dump dozens, if not hundreds, of 2-10-sentence work pages with no tropes into the wiki, only tagging them with "Needs Wiki Magic Love". You would think that if whoever it was had enough time to do all that, they could have at least finished a couple of them. Grrrr. I am coming to loathe the "Needs Wiki Magic Love" category, and now my new next project is to clear the damned thing out and exterminate it with extreme prejudice.
-- Bob

Feel free. We have specific "needs this done" categories now; I don't see any reason to keep NWML.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm just six works from clearing out all such pages lacking "tropelist" or one of its counterparts. I'll probably be done by 5 PM EDT.
-- Bob

And now I'm imagining "Weird Al" singing "This list is just six works long"... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh.

Of course I jinxed myself by saying I'd finish them off before 5, because as soon as I did everything else and its dog demanded my attention.
-- Bob

(07-21-2020, 01:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I really, really want to find the TV Troper who thought it was a great idea to dump dozens, if not hundreds, of 2-10-sentence work pages with no tropes into the wiki, only tagging them with "Needs Wiki Magic Love".  You would think that if whoever it was had enough time to do all that, they could have at least finished a couple of them.  Grrrr.  I am coming to loathe the "Needs Wiki Magic Love" category, and now my new next project is to clear the damned thing out and exterminate it with extreme prejudice.

A thought: Instead of getting rid of "Category:Needs Wiki Magic Love", turn it into a container category holding these categories (and any other category that fits):
  • Category:Needs a Better Description
  • Category:Needs More Examples
  • Category:Needs More Tropes
  • Category:Pages Needing Cleanup
  • Category:Pages Needing Disambiguation
  • Category:Pages Needing Images
  • Category:Pages Needing Restoration
  • Category:Pages Needing Wicks
  • Category:Pages Under Construction
  • Category:Stubs
  • Category:Tropes Needing Examples
  • Category:Works Needing Tropes

That way, if anybody is actually using the category, they can still find the pages that need wiki magic love.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<nod> Yeah, that's a better idea than exterminating it.
-- Bob

Done. I also added Category:Characters needing descriptions and Category:Pages Needing an Entry Pimp. EDIT: And more... go look at Category:Needs Wiki Magic Love for the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks. I didn't mean for you to go ahead and do it; I had it on my "to-do" list.

And looking at that I see something that's left over from the earliest days of the wiki -- Category:Example Sectionectomy is still marked with the category "Pages Needing Restoration". I think by now everything that had examples we were intending to restore has already been taken care of so we can remove that -- unless someone sees something we overlooked.
-- Bob

Feel free...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-21-2020, 01:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I really, really want to find the TV Troper who thought it was a great idea to dump dozens, if not hundreds, of 2-10-sentence work pages with no tropes into the wiki, only tagging them with "Needs Wiki Magic Love".  

It's looking definitely like hundreds, not dozens.  Theyr'e so alike I have to wonder where the author got the descriptions.  And where they got the idea that "Needs Wiki Magic Love" was synonymous with "I'm too lazy to do a good job, someone else finish this for me".

I'm definitely going to delete the redirect to the category when I'm done here.
-- Bob

Wow... wiki-walking... I noticed that "Solitaire" was on the "Needs Wiki Magic Love" list. As a result, within an hour, I was uploading an image of one of the Library Lions to the wiki.

(Solitaire is called Patience in the UK, "Patience" was a page about the G&S opera, Patience is now a disambiguation page, and it needed an image. A rather short chain, all things considered.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have a trope about saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time?

Asking because of this bit from More Things Involving Shipgirls That Are No Longer Allowed, Chapter 195:
Quote:Everyone stared at the octopus. San Juan stared at the octopus. The octopus stared back. The arms, San Francisco guesstimated, were a good twenty feet long. Unbidden, probably the worst thing she could have said slipped out of her lips.

"I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going."

That was when the screaming started.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-26-2020, 07:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: Do we have a trope about saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time?

Asking because of this bit from More Things Involving Shipgirls That Are No Longer Allowed, Chapter 195:
Quote:Everyone stared at the octopus. San Juan stared at the octopus. The octopus stared back. The arms, San Francisco guesstimated, were a good twenty feet long. Unbidden, probably the worst thing she could have said slipped out of her lips.

"I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going."

That was when the screaming started.

Tempting Fate?
No, that's stuff along the lines of "What could possibly go wrong?" and "Nothing can stop us now!"

This is... different, and I've been trying to think of what trope we have that might cover it all morning. Nothing's come to mind yet.
-- Bob

Genre Savvy/Wrong Genre Savvy?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto