Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
(02-06-2021, 05:00 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 01:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: Speaking of "INSERT-CITY-NAME-HERE"... does anybody mind if I put AMALGAM's base in Indianapolis? It's reasonably close to the halfway point between Ottawa and San Antonio, with relatively-easy access to Chicago, Philly, and DC - making them available for stories set in any of those cities.

And now I want to suggest that Ann Romano and her daughters Julie and Barbara Cooper have recently found themselves shoved forty or so years into the future, along with their building superintendent....

“You know how they would say that in the future we would do everything with computers?  Guess what. IT HAPPENED.”

Aside:
https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/news/loc...an-antonio

I fucking love this town. It’s like we’re Diet Florida down here or something. Big Grin
(02-06-2021, 05:00 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 01:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: Speaking of "INSERT-CITY-NAME-HERE"... does anybody mind if I put AMALGAM's base in Indianapolis? It's reasonably close to the halfway point between Ottawa and San Antonio, with relatively-easy access to Chicago, Philly, and DC - making them available for stories set in any of those cities.

And now I want to suggest that Ann Romano and her daughters Julie and Barbara Cooper have recently found themselves shoved forty or so years into the future, along with their building superintendent....

As long as we don't put them in the same building...

"That new tenant - the guy with the white hair - he looks so intriguing."

"Always remember, and please never forget... don't judge a book by its contents."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(02-05-2021, 10:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just added a line to my on-wiki list of story ideas:

Quote:March 12-17, 2017: Mikoto "all but promised" Alicia Testarossa that she'd come play during March Break. Maybe at the Lowell-Bannings' amusement park. And if they can trash amusement parks twice in Lyrical Nanoha canon, we can do something similar here, right? Smile Clear that with BlackAeronaut

Or, maybe, just maybe, we could tell a story about folks going out and having fun without something earth-shaking happening to them.

That would be nice for a change.  Wink

(02-06-2021, 12:51 PM)robkelk Wrote: How in the world did we forget to include this series?

Somewhere in INSERT-CITY-NAME-HERE, there is a multi-story building, privately owned. Its owner (half-Japanese, half-British) lives in one room at the very top floor and uses the entire remainder of the building as her personal library... and the building is overstuffed with books.

She wouldn't need a SI manager, just a rare-book-seller to buy from.

I've had thoughts about Yomiko.  Mostly ideas about her showing up somewhere and actually living inside the library with no one being the wiser.  I kinda wish for her to be in San Antonio, but I know that'd be hogging up characters.  I just have this mental imagery of her somehow getting into the archives section of the Central Library and finding all the original records that go all the way back to the city's founding, 300 years ago!  The teary-eyed look on her face as she so desperately wants to touch that old, old paper with such historic, hand-inked writings on them...

I'd be fine with that.  The only thing I wonder about is how do they keep a secret military facility there secret?

(02-06-2021, 01:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: And one more. According to the wiki, we have two groups in Thailand: a colony of airbenders and wherever Lagoon Company is based, somewhere on the coast. ("The Lagoon Company is working for Ciel Phantomhive more or less directly, though they have time to do a few other odd jobs.")

Do we have one location or two here? Conservation of detail suggests one, but that might not be suitable for the benders.

Hrm.  I don't think we ever quite came to a consensus on the matter.  As I recall, this was originally another case of me wanting to fill-out empty units in my character's location.
(02-07-2021, 03:38 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:

I'd be fine with that.  The only thing I wonder about is how do they keep a secret military facility there secret?

Oh, good question. Hmmmmm...

There are still plenty of warehouses in Indy (I think), and I'd be very surprised if at least one of them didn't have a freight rail spur line running into the warehouse. Arm Slaves and other reasonably-large gear going into and out of the city by rail in otherwise-unremarkable boxcars, maybe? (We know a Venom-class Cotarl AS fits on a flatbed truck - we saw Gauron's transported that way when Sosuke went back home to Afghanistan Helmajistan in the first season of FMP - so one will fit in a boxcar.)

Alternately, put the base in the forested area immediately southwest of Indianapolis (losing the rail link, but still convenient to I-70), and just have offices in the city.

We could hast this out on this brand-new wiki page...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There is one other option for a library.

This is a rather interesting space that's been copied in popular culture.

Also. Why Indianapolis and not Detroit? Detroit also has water access and, I think, access to the sea by canal.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(02-07-2021, 11:14 AM)Dartz Wrote: There is one other option for a library.

This is a rather interesting space that's been copied in popular culture.

Including in the dorm's library at Tokiwadai, in A Certain Scientific Railgun, so the Japanese are sufficiently familiar with it to know what it "should" look like.

(02-07-2021, 11:14 AM)Dartz Wrote: Also. Why Indianapolis and not Detroit? Detroit also has water access and, I think, access to the sea by canal.

Indianapolis is closer to San Antonio than Detroit is. So we give up the advantages of Great Lakes shipping for the advantage of Leonard Testarossa to be closer to Tessa Testarossa while still close enough to everybody else he's taken an interest in.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It needn't be boxcars.  Cargo containers are better.  They're far more ubiquitous these days, have been shown to be able to carry an armslave in the anime, and have advantages of not only being intermodal (moved from one form of transport to another - truck, train, ship... apparently Boeing has patented a design for an intermodal cargo aircraft, too), but are stackable and are relatively easy to move, provided you have the equipment to do it.
Considering this state of affairs, I currently have a lot more time to work on my stories and the TNB wiki. Is there anything that anybody would prefer I work on first?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The only things that come to mind for me are things that require my personal touch, such as at long freakin' last putting together a proper write-up/character bible for Benjamin.
Is there anything obviously missing from the Glossary? Other than "Angel" (AMG, EVA, and A Certain...), "Crystal Millennium" (BSSM), and "Silver Millennium:" (BSSM), that is.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'll have to look through it carefully, but that probably won't be until Sunday or Monday. Tonight and tomorrow I close late at work, so I probably won't have time/energy for it then.
Fair enough - Family comes first, work comes second, fun comes third.

I know the glossary doesn't have any entries yet from Firefly, Princess Tutu, or Tenchi Muyo!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, I know one that you can throw in for Firefly:

Shiny - A generally positive adjective implying that something is good in the same way a brand new car or freshly minted coins are 'shiny', no matter if it is a tangible or intangible thing. "No worries, Captain. The engines are all nice and shiny." "The deal we got going here is real shiny."
A little after the fact, but hey... Existing fan art, possibly to be re-deployed for the Halloween party.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-12-2021, 06:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: A little after the fact, but hey... Existing fan art, possibly to be re-deployed for the Halloween party.

Snrk.  Honestly, I would think that Mikoto would be flattered to be wearing the fuku of THE electrokinetic, Kino Makoto.

Which makes me wonder if Makoto wasn't the inspiration for Mikoto.

Also, this comment in there is priceless.

Quote:On top of this, the seiyuu who voiced Mako also voiced Mikoto's mom.

Ara ara ara in 5... 4... 3... 2...
(02-13-2021, 03:15 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:

...1 ...0: Quoting myself:
(06-04-2017, 03:51 AM)robkelk Wrote: "I don't like keeping secrets."

"They aren't your secrets to tell. Let Mikoto-san decide when to tell them, if ever."

Usagi thought for a moment. "All right. But you'd better give me something that I can tell people, so I can say something if anyone asks."

Everybody thought for a moment.

"Ah!" Rob raised one finger. "Remember that I showed everybody one episode of the anime that was made about you, and everyone complained about the voices being a little bit wrong?"

"You said it was because we weren't in this universe, so they had to use voice actors instead."

"Right. And the same applies to the anime they made about Mikoto-san."

"So?"

"The voice actor they got to play Makoto-san is the same voice actor they got to play Mikoto-san's mother."

Mikoto and Usagi both looked at Rob for a moment, then laughed.

Washuu walked over to where Rob was sitting, and whispered, "That's one way to break the mood, I guess."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown

No, that's a different seiyuu.  Alicia Florence's seiyuu, Sayaka Ohara, also played a few other people from our sources, like Kimura-sensei's wife, Layla Hamilton, Irisviel von Einzbern, Titania, and Yuuko Ichihara.  The first makes a quick joke, but the last is potentially plot-significant -- because of who Yuuko is and who Fujitaka is! 

A wild Mokona appears!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I might not be able to post Valentine's Day in Another World on Valentine's Day, but at least I can post the first scenelet...

"Silver filled? I'm sorry, but we don't stock costume jewellery." Seeing the customer's look of confusion, Mayumi continued, "Silver filled isn't 'filled with silver', it's a bit of silver plating on something cheap. The least expensive metal that I would recommend for an engagement ring is sterling silver, which is over ninety-two per cent silver."

Naru ignored her mother - what she was saying was common knowledge among reputable jewelers - and waved to Mamoru as he entered the jewellery store. "Hello again, sir! Your special order is ready; please wait over here while I get it from the back room."

Mamoru smiled as he approached Naru. When he was close enough to whisper to her, he replied, "I know that I have memory problems sometimes, but I think I would have remembered visiting OSA-P, or making a special order."

She looked him straight in the eye. Quietly, she asked, "You are here to find a ring for Usagi, right?" As he nodded slowly, she continued, "Be glad I'm her best friend - well, her best friend who isn't a magical girl - and I wanted to do something special for her to thank her for all the times she's saved my life. And I know what size ring Usagi wears, and Mama wants me to practice my lapidary skills."

"Ah. Of course." Mamoru smiled at Naru's words. "I'll just wait here, then."

She ducked into the back room, from which Mamoru could hear her say, "Oh, good, the ravens didn't move it."

A few minutes later, she was back from the back room, showing him the contents of a small box lined with white satin. "It's lovely. Thank you, Osaka-san."

"Call me Naru, just like your fiancee-to-be does." Then she frowned slightly. "At least, I hope she's your fiancee-to-be."

"So do I. Ravens?"

She blushed. "You heard that? There were two ravens living here when we moved in. Mama lets them stay - she says they're our good-luck charms, watching over us. I'm sure they're hoarding the rings that I make. But only the ones I'm not so happy with. I wonder why?"

As Mamoru walked out of the shop a few minutes later, he carefully did not acknowledge the presence of two girls sitting in Rob's car parked across the street. The girl in the driver's seat turned to her companion. "It looks like Usagi-san is going to be happy tomorrow. Do we still wait for Kamijo-san?"

"I'd much rather he didn't go anywhere near a jewellery store today, Mii-sempai," replied the other girl. "The thought of that troglodyte proposing to oneesama..." She shivered with disgust. "Let's just maintain our security surveillance on OSA-P and not speculate on unfortunate possibilities."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've already called "dibs" on the Ooarai girls once GnP academy ships start showing up in the Metacontinuity, right? Smile

This, too, is the Nishizumi style: https://safebooru.donmai.us/posts/3123571?pool_id=11031
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Only if we get to have the Saunders girls in San Antonio. Wink

And is that Phobos and Deimos camping out in OSA-P?
(02-14-2021, 03:51 AM)Labster Wrote:

No, that's a different seiyuu.  Alicia Florence's seiyuu, Sayaka Ohara, also played a few other people from our sources, like Kimura-sensei's wife, Layla Hamilton, Irisviel von Einzbern, Titania, and Yuuko Ichihara.  The first makes a quick joke, but the last is potentially plot-significant -- because of who Yuuko is and who Fujitaka is! 

She also voiced Wraith from FMP!, Yasuko in Toradora, Isabel in Starship Operators (assuming we're bringing them in during Arc 2), Revis in Sword Oratoria (again, assuming we're bringing them in during Arc 2 - but why wouldn't DanMachi show up on the fantasy world?)... and, in the Crystal continuity, Sailor Neptune.

(02-14-2021, 03:51 AM)Labster Wrote: A wild Mokona appears!

Apapa!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-14-2021, 09:24 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Only if we get to have the Saunders girls in San Antonio.  Wink

I think that can be arranged.

(02-14-2021, 09:24 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And is that Phobos and Deimos camping out in OSA-P?

About time somebody noticed! I've only been dropping hints for ... how many stories, now? I lost track.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-14-2021, 09:39 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 09:24 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Only if we get to have the Saunders girls in San Antonio.  Wink

I think that can be arranged.

Indeed~.

(02-14-2021, 09:39 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 09:24 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And is that Phobos and Deimos camping out in OSA-P?

About time somebody noticed! I've only been dropping hints for ... how many stories, now? I lost track.

Oh, I noticed before. I just hadn't commented on it til now. Wink
Entchen should go hang out with the ravens; she needs friends.

I was going to call St. Gloriana because they're my favs, but then I read that other thread.  I do see the thematic consistency of Anzio being in Venice, so I guess that idea wins.  If only we had another complex where the residents are interested in tea time for after school clubs.  There is room to park offshore, though:

[Image: chart-10331.jpg]
... but not too close to Malibu or Santa Monica; too many NIMBYs.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Quote:If only we had another complex where the residents are interested in tea time for after school clubs.
Ahem. However, Douglass Gardens is a low-drama zone (at least so far).
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....