Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
There's something that folks should look at, over on meta. This slightly-affects everyone who uses Miraheze.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-27-2021, 09:41 AM)robkelk Wrote: There's something that folks should look at, over on meta. This slightly-affects everyone who uses Miraheze.

Sounds like some bureaucratic stuff that didn't pan out very well. I voted with those who want to shelve the whole idea.
Could somebody please explain to me why Forgot About His Powers, Remembered I Could Fly, Forgot I Couldn't Swim, Remembered Too Late, and Forgot I Could Change the Rules are separate tropes?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No. I can't.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I can explain, but you're not going to like it.

Forgot About His Powers:
     Has magical ability and doesn't remember it
Remembered I Could Fly:
     Has magical ability and does remember it
Forgot I Could Change the Rules:
     Has mundane ability (law subtype) and does remember it
Idiot Ball:
    Has mundane ability and doesn't remember it
    - Probably not the right trope but the closest I could find for this quadrant
Remembered Too Late:
    Something and doesn't remember it
    - Probably a supertrope to the "doesn't remember it" type
Just in Time:
    Something and does remember/do it
    - Probably a supertrope to the "does remember it" type
Forgot I Couldn't Swim:
    Lacks ability and doesn't remember it
    - Almost all examples are about swimming specifically, except some are about fear of heights and flying.  Comedy trope.
Reed Richards Is Useless:
    Has magical ability and doesn't remember to reuse it
    - Generally used because the character's overpowered stuff would wreck the setting
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Identifying supertropes helps me understand the matrix, actually... Thanks.

EDIT: The matrix, in wiki table format:

{| class="wikitable"
! Character Condition !! Character doesn't remember, or [[Remembered Too Late]] !! Character remembers, maybe [[Just in Time]]
|-
| Has magical or metahuman ability || [[Forgot About His Powers]], [[Reed Richards Is Useless]] || [[Remembered I Could Fly]]
|-
| Has mundane ability || [[Idiot Ball]] || [[Forgot I Could Change the Rules]]
|-
| Doesn't have mundane ability || [[Forgot I Couldn't Swim]] || ?
|}
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If people agree that this makes sense, this should probably be a template we can add to all of these pages. If it even makes sense to have this many tropes.

And should these all be added to Memory Tropes? Or wait, huh... I'll just make Stupidity Tropes a subcategory of Memory Tropes? I don't know. These all should be in the same category and they obviously aren't.

EDIT: Maybe a new [[Category:Forgetfulness Tropes]]? Make it clear that the category is for things the character should know, but has simply can't recall at the moment. Maybe [[Category:Selective Memory Tropes]]? Spotty Memory Tropes? I Can't Recall This Index? Anyway none of the Amnesia and Memory Gambit type stuff should be there. We should probably add Absent-Minded Professor, though.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
One nice thing about templates is that they can include categories that are applied to every page that uses the template. That's why all the pages that use "infobox book" have the Literature category, for instance.

So all we have to do is decide which category to add to the template. Of your suggestions, I like " I Can't Recall This Index" the best.

(Another nice thing about templates is that we can add to them and have the additions show up on all pages that use the template - in this particular case, replacing that question mark with an appropriate trope, or adding more lines to the table. This saves a lot of time later.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This page says it's a trope, not a useful note. It has no examples - not even the trope namer.

Do we have room for it in the Trope Workshop, or does it need to sit for a while, waiting for a slot to open up?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm pretty sure it counts as an audience reaction trope. And I'd say there's always room in the Workshop for cleaning up any mess we inherited from TVT.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Over it goes, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This question raises a question of my own: Do Useful Notes need to go through the Trope Workshop?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-01-2021, 07:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: This question raises a question of my own: Do Useful Notes need to go through the Trope Workshop?

It MAY have more usefulness as a subtrope of Banned in China, or it could more an informative overview of the reasons for book censorship, I can see how it might cut both ways.
Regarding Rob's question, I put my last Useful Notes through the Workshop, but "just because", not because I felt it was mandated. I'd say it's a good idea but not necessary.
-- Bob

I have a proposal for a new policy page to be put in the project namespace: How to Get a Rule Changed

Please feel free to add or revise anything that needs it.
-- Bob

(04-02-2021, 09:54 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have a proposal for a new policy page to be put in the project namespace:  How to Get a Rule Changed

I narrowed down who should get a CC - the Miraheze Stewards have made clear that they don't want to be involved in setting rules on any single wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of rules, why are Category:Multiple Works Need Separate Pages, Category:Needs a Better Description‎, Category:Needs Wiki Magic Love, Category:Pages Needing Images‎, and Category:Predefined Messages currently marked as being Wiki Policy?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Haven't a clue. I don't think I did it, but they're all old enough that if I did, it has passed into the mists of forgotten history for me.

Probably best to remove it from them.
-- Bob

After some consideration, I can see Predefined Messages being Wiki Policy. Removing the others...

New template: infobox episode

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've hung it on an awful lot of recap pages that don't actually have recaps...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Status report: We're now down to 19,115 files without identified licenses.

18,998 of these are identified as files inherited from TV Tropes in the fork.

The other 197 either have only "importing file" as a description, were uploaded to All The Tropes without a license, or come from Wikimedia Commons but aren't identified as such.

And I'm going to take a break from identifying licenses for a few days. (I still haven't done my taxes yet...) If anybody wants to take over while I'm attending to other things, please start with the 455 (as of this posting) files on this particular auto-updated list - everything on that list is definitely inherited from TV Tropes in the fork, so it's "just" a matter of tracking down each license (TinEye can help find image sources if you sort the search results by "Oldest"), replacing {{TVT-CC-BY-SA-image}} with the correct license, and making sure the trope and source-work categories are present.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-02-2021, 09:54 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have a proposal for a new policy page to be put in the project namespace:  How to Get a Rule Changed

If no one has any objections or any more changes to make, I'll move this up in a day or so.
-- Bob

(04-06-2021, 07:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

If no one has any objections or any more changes to make, I'll move this up in a day or so.

* robkelk hands Bob a champagne bottle to launch this thing with
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Welp. Remember how I said about 20 messages back there was something about InterestingPerson bugging me? I thought he might be SmileyB?

I'm not sure about SmileyB now... but I'm thinking that he might actually be XanderMartin98. Check out the four changes currently staged on the Moderation page -- suddenly he's all about XanderMartin98's stuff, even namechecking him in an edit reason. I'd be very grateful if someone else with moderation rights looked over the relevant changes and gave me their opinion(s).
-- Bob

Now that you've pointed it out, I can't not see it... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually there. (Mind you, I would bet on there being some connection between the two if they aren't the same person.)

There's definitely some monomania going on there (along with an appeal to how TV Tropes does things, but not in those words). A trope that I've never seen any examples of in a half-century of watching Western Animation being called "one of THE most iconic [tropes] in western animation"? Really?

EDIT: I'm tempted to approve one of the blog posts and then immediately ask "How is this different from [[Ghost in the Machine]] or [[Mobile Suit Human]]?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Go for it. I spearheaded the action on him last time, so let's start from a different angle in case it actually is him.
-- Bob