Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
(01-21-2022, 09:43 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just made an executive decision: any character from a live-action series who doesn't have a canon birthday now shares a birthday with the actor who played the character.

This means Inara and Kaylee share a birthday.

Sounds good enough to me, though I'd add a disclaimer on the off-hand chance that somehow a canonical birthday does pop up, and we've written ourselves into a corner where we can't really retcon it without adversely effecting a bunch of things.
Added and linked to.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
It is now time to request ElasticSearch once it is available, by submitting this form.

This is a prerequisite for AdvancedSearch, which allows for searching on categories, amongst other things.

Do we want it on TNB? (Or perhaps I should ask whether there's any reason why we wouldn't want it.) Search would be unavailable while it's being installed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh god, yes. It's stupid that I have to remember the *exact* title of a page in order to pull it up.
Request has been entered
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-25-2022, 06:36 PM)robkelk Wrote: So much for AdvancedSearch...

On Phabricator, Universal_Omega Wrote:We apologise for the inconvenience, but during initial attempted deployment of CirrusSearch/Elastica it was discovered that it is not compatible with our version of ElasticSearch (7.x). Unfortunately at this time we are unable to continue with the deployment of it. Therefore this must be declined. Once again, we apologise for not realising this sooner and for the inconvenience and fact we are unable to continue with this at this time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added this to Sora Hasegawa's wiki writeup, to help explain why we haven't seen her in the Metacontinuity very often:
Quote:Sora is also doing her best to avoid weirdness; this bespeckled bespectacled co-ed is less able to take strange occurrences in stride than are her fellow displacees from Nekomi.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yay! The bug that was preventing us from saving updates to the Calendar page has been fixed!

That said, I strongly suggest we do a new calendar page for Arc 2 when the time comes, and additional pages for each subsequent Arc.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As per this post and its replies, Infobox Displacee now has two more optional lines: "Arc4 Tribe" and "Arc4 Clan". If you've planned that far ahead (Hi, Ben!), feel free to add the data to the appropriate character pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just noticed that Extension:Maps is working properly again, so we have maps again.

The maps for Dublin and LA only have residences marked... Just saying.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just created a new template along the lines of "familiar", "celestial" and "musician" -- "teacher", for Sawako and new addition Mark Thackeray. And that raises the question: I know I've seen a character page with multiple icons from such templates in its upper right corner. But I can't make it happen. Rob, what am I doing wrong?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-15-2022, 09:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just created a new template along the lines of "familiar", "celestial" and "musician" -- "teacher", for Sawako and new addition Mark Thackeray.  And that raises the question:  I know I've seen a character page with multiple icons from such templates in its upper right corner.  But I can't make it happen.  Rob, what am I doing wrong?

You didn't change the template ID - it still said "id = Musician". Each top-icon template must have a unique ID, or it'll show up at the same spot as the other top-image with the same ID.

I've changed that to "id = Teacher"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah, thank you. I thought I'd changed everything that said "musician" -- clearly not.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Dropping this link here for future image work, once I get around to somebody who's a mechanic. Hey, it's free.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh. That might be the "emergency kit" my character would keep in all of his vehicles.

My actual tool set is.... more than just a little more so than this. Tongue

(I'm not kidding around when I tell my brothers that when we look for someplace else to live, lack of a garage is a deal breaker. I really do have that many tools, and it'd be really effin' nice to be able to work without being worried about the outdoor elements.)
Oh, yes... This is on the page for our Montreal residence now.

Quote:Appartements Mont-Royal Sud

Meta: This started as a residence with an SI in residence. However, the writer dropped out of the project, and the forums, somewhere along the line of migrations from Yuku to Tapatalk to private hosting, so the building eventually became an NPC residence - until early 2022 in real life, when the active writers decided to retcon the list of the building's occupants and essentially turn the residence into a satellite of Blossom Apartments and Piffle Enterprises, both in Ottawa.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I suppose I should note for the folks reading along at home that while he probably won't appear in anything for a while yet, as of Tuesday night there is now a page for Mark Thackeray of the 1967 film To Sir, With Love. He is that rarest of creatures -- a displacee who didn't get directed to a residence and has somehow made it on his own in early 21st-Century New Jersey. What makes him really interesting (to some, at least) is that he works in the same high school as Sawako-sensei from K-On!... and as of spring 2017 the two of them are dating seriously. And he has no clue about the Metacontinuity... yet. (He just thinks he somehow got shot forward 50 years.)
-- Bob

Just for the record, if we decide to open the wiki up -- as the place is vastly more organized than this forum -- I figured out a way to hide certain namespaces. We can choose whichever ones we want.

Just so I don't lose it: $wgWhitelistReadRegexp = [ "/(?!(?:Draft:|Hidden:))^/" ];

Yes, this is me using a negative lookahead so I can turn a whitelist into a blacklist.  RhinosF1 and I agreed that we would need a pull request for this, and that adding it to the ManageWiki interface would be too easy for users to screw up.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
New wiki page, as requested here. Have at it, BA!

Avoiding use of a colon in the page name for namespace reasons - it shouldn't matter, but it might.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added this to Misato Katsuragi's wiki writeup, under "Relationships":

Quote:After that, Misato starts making friends outside of her social circle, beginning with discovering that she and Melissa Mao have a shared interest in beer.

I'll be puttering around in other parts of the wiki some more today. EDIT: Including fixing the mention of "climatic battles" that's been on the wiki for almost a month... Sad
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-03-2021, 01:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: Note to either self or Labster, whoever has time to do it first: We need to import "Template:Date table sorting" and its prerequisites from Wikipedia to our wiki.

I just did this. Now to update every single character template on the wiki, to use it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just added a General Disclaimer page to the wiki. It took me this long because I had to hunt through the Copyright Act to make sure we weren't in violation of Miraheze's "no illegal activities" rule.

Yes, I do believe I found a loophole that makes fanfic legal. In Canada.

Quote:This work incorporates elements from other works. Since we do not repeat or imitate the main design of the works that we cite, we believe that this use of these elements, with their source works duly identified, falls under Fair Dealing as per section 32.2 (1)(a) of the Copyright Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. C-42

Granted, this only works if we give every character some character development.

(I also added an About page to the wiki, while I was at it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I forgot to mention this during this week's chat. We have a new character group: Category:Manager.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Guess that means I need to write up Peg's and my avatars in the setting... And maybe the Addamses.
-- Bob

Trying an experiment that needs other people to tell me what they see. User:Robkelk/sandbox/font-testing. Do other people see different fonts on each list line?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown