Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
Speaking of missing tropes... Safebooru has a page for Trigger Discipline with over 300 pages of examples; why don't we have a page for it?

(tl;dr, quoted from Safebooru: "Keep your finger away from the trigger until you're ready to fire.")
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I've been putting that kind of thing under an aversion of Artistic License Gun Safety.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And that page links to "Gun Safety", which is a Useful Note. For now, I've redirected Trigger Discipline to Gun Safety.

Thanks, Bob!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You're welcome. And now it looks like I have to re-link a lot of my aversions.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Does anybody have a couple of hours free? The examples that are still listed on Ear Worm need to be moved to the already-existing sub-subpages for them... but they need to be sorted first. They're already sorted by medium, but both of the media in question have multiple sub-subpages.

Having the examples on the main trope page when we already have subpages for them is rather sloppy, IMHO... but I'm busy with other things on the wiki at the moment.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't have a large enough block of time free for the job at the moment, and probably won't until next week some time, so if someone wants to start on it before then...
-- Bob

Just added some more video game genres to the list at "All The Tropes:Creating a Page by Hand"

What we don't yet have on that page is a list of music genres. Anybody want to try throwing a draft proposal together? At the least, that list should include Classical, Blues, Jazz, R&B, Rock, and Rap... but that's nowhere near a complete list even of "top level" genres. EDIT: Maybe Wikipedia already has a list, possibly...?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just a heads-up -- keep an eye out for a new user, Nakadakazhi. I just rejected his first edit, which was a set of heavily-biased additions to the page for Joe Biden. I haven't sent him the note I usually post on a user's talk page in such a case, yet, because from the contents of the edit I expect that no matter what I say is going to trigger some kind of stock trumpist outburst.
-- Bob

(04-07-2022, 08:42 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Just a heads-up -- keep an eye out for a new user, Nakadakazhi.  I just rejected his first edit, which was a set of heavily-biased additions to the page for Joe Biden.  I haven't sent him the note I usually post on a user's talk page in such a case, yet, because from the contents of the edit I expect that no matter what I say is going to trigger some kind of stock trumpist outburst.

Oh, I'll do it. I'm a moderator of All The Tropes who is not a citizen or resident of the United States of America - I can make it clear that the rejection is about the content of the edit, and has nothing to do with the petty politics of your country.

EDIT: And done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I saw. Thank you. Now we wait and see if he was a drive-by or is our new Norm.

EDIT: Or maybe Norm under another name?
-- Bob

Maybe, but it's been so long that we can't ask for a checkuser on them - Norm's data should have expired long ago.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If it is, it would be odd, as Norm's account was only tempbanned and it's been months since that expired. Unless he's pulling a Skysaber in the hopes we won't be able to distinguish him by his editing patterns alone.
-- Bob

Oh, the irony. No sooner do I get over my wrist going south on me, now I got COVID Omnicron. Nothing major, but I expect to be down for the next few days getting over it.
Ouch... Take it easy, Geth. Worry about getting better, don't worry about the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, rest up, recover, don't worry about us.
-- Bob

Went to the emergency room to be sure due to breathing issues, turns out I have vital laryngitis. Had some overlapping symptoms associated with COVID, but its not that. I'll be miserable a for a few days, but it's not what I had feared it to be.
Well, that's good to hear, for a certain definition of "good". Again, take care of yourself and don't worry about the wiki.
-- Bob

Oh, that's nifty... I just discovered that, if a page has the same category listed twice and I use HotCat to replace one occurrence of the category with a different category (in this case, "Category:FUNimation" -> "Category:Funimation"), HotCat also strips out the duplicate entry.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What was the database work a few days ago supposed to do?  Because if today's performance is any indication, it slowed things down horribly.  I have to wait literally a minute or more most of the time for autocomplete and hints to display anything, and pages take forever to load and save.

EDIT: It's not just ATT... the wiki for TNB is also crawling like a dog under a fence.
-- Bob

Would somebody else please let "Jlaw" know that following only two-thirds of Bob's request isn't good enough? The way I'm feeling at the moment, I'd yell at him.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm likely to yell at him, too, without even having seen what he's put in the queue. I'm not in a good and patient mood this morning.

EDIT: Ah, never mind. I was able to tamp down my bad mood enough to reply properly to him.
-- Bob

Just had a thought, but I don't know enough about the Module system to know whether we can do it.

I see that the relevant "Subpages" modules already check for the presence of a "wppage" parameter on the template. Can the modules be modified to include "Category:Pages with working Wikipedia tabs" on the page when the parameter is present?

Automating that step would probably cause a lot of pages to suddenly be added to the category, and would definitely make sure any new pages with wppage set would be added to the category.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-13-2022, 07:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm likely to yell at him, too, without even having seen what he's put in the queue.  I'm not in a good and patient mood this morning.

EDIT:  Ah, never mind.  I was able to tamp down my bad mood enough to reply properly to him.

And as it turned out, Jlaw is a her, a TV Tropes refugee with a new horror story that will surprise no one (apparently "Adult Fear" has been stalinized, probably for fear of alarming the easily frightened and thus reducing TVT's revenue stream), and is both terribly willing to learn how to do things and afraid of running afoul of our rules.  I ended up having an extensive exchange with her over the course of the day.
-- Bob

(04-13-2022, 02:23 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just had a thought, but I don't know enough about the Module system to know whether we can do it.

I see that the relevant "Subpages" modules already check for the presence of a "wppage" parameter on the template. Can the modules be modified to include "CategoryTongueages with working Wikipedia tabs" on the page when the parameter is present?

Automating that step would probably cause a lot of pages to suddenly be added to the category, and would definitely make sure any new pages with wppage set would be added to the category.

I don't see why not, it would require the simple equivalent of Lua having an if/then condition to add that.
(04-13-2022, 05:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 07:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm likely to yell at him, too, without even having seen what he's put in the queue.  I'm not in a good and patient mood this morning.

EDIT:  Ah, never mind.  I was able to tamp down my bad mood enough to reply properly to him.

And as it turned out, Jlaw is a her, a TV Tropes refugee with a new horror story that will surprise no one (apparently "Adult Fear" has been stalinized, probably for fear of alarming the easily frightened and thus reducing TVT's revenue stream), and is both terribly willing to learn how to do things and afraid of running afoul of our rules.  I ended up having an extensive exchange with her over the course of the day.

Huh.  Well that's good, all things considered.  Except for the part about that trope getting hacked up on TVT.

By perchance is there a cached copy of the trope on Wayback?  It would be interesting to be able to present a before-and-after to people who challenge the raison d'être of ATT.