Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
Hmmmmm... How is The Blair Witch Project a cult movie of any sort, let alone a cult classic?

I've undone that change. Let's see whether DDOD reacts.

EDIT: I see we had a discussion about the Cult Classic list a year ago. Instead of waiting, I've left a note in that thread.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'd forgotten that. I just noticed dozens upon dozens of edits adding the "Cult Classic" category to just about anything that stood still long enough.

I'm half-expecting to discover I missed him adding it to "Star Wars" and "Terminator".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I did the last few launches out of the Trope Workshop, the most recent without entry-pimping it. It's somebody else's turn.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wow - three "rejected in moderation" posts to the same new user in a quarter hour. I'm not expecting much from Gadg8eer's other edits in the moderation queue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The only thing he has left in the queue right now is an edit to The Millennium Age of Animation -- and yeah, based on his other edits (including the one I rejected for The New Twenties), I'm not holding out much hope it's going to be acceptable.

EDIT: He had one edit earlier than these that passed (for You Fool!), but it still was ignorantly marked up and actually left out the part of the example that was actually the example.

By contrast, btw, BigBertha looks like someone who's going to earn autopatrolled in just a couple weeks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(06-02-2023, 12:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The only thing he has left in the queue right now is an edit to The Millennium Age of Animation -- and yeah, based on his other edits (including the one I rejected for The New Twenties), I'm not holding out much hope it's going to be acceptable.

And I've just started a discussion thread about the core assumption of that edit - namely, that The Millennium Age of Animation has ended. I'll admit that I don't keep up with news about trends in the animation industry, so I'm not going to accept or reject that assumption out-of-hand. I am going to ask whether we should accept the word of somebody who we just met. (Blame spammers and scammers for making me cynical that way.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I should probably have gone into more detail in my response, but I wouldn't accept that the Millennium Age has ended until we are clearly in a new age of animation. What's different now about animation that it is clearly different from the Millennium age?

Hm. Let me add that to my response on the wiki. Hopefully that should prompt some discussion.
-- Bob

Oh dear god. New user NightGod just board-to-boarded me:

Quote:Looney Toons, I have made at least four edits. Should i be able to be promoted?

Just three days after I told him he needed at least ten edits past moderation just to get autoconfirmed. This one is either entitled, pushy, or hard-of-thinking -- or two or more of them together. <sigh>
-- Bob

(06-02-2023, 04:42 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hm.  Let me add that to my response on the wiki.  Hopefully that should prompt some discussion.

Your and Ilikecomputers' replies got me to do an abridged list of the previous ages, so that's something.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-30-2023, 09:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <snrk>

Meanwhile, has anyone else noticed that DemonDuckOfDoom appears to be engaged in a project to label just about every work a Cult Classic?

We really need to stomp on him. He just tagged the Tomb Raider franchise -- all thirty years and sixteen-plus installments of it -- as a cult classic. I reverted it, of course, but we need to smack him down now.
-- Bob

(06-07-2023, 09:49 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 09:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <snrk>

Meanwhile, has anyone else noticed that DemonDuckOfDoom appears to be engaged in a project to label just about every work a Cult Classic?

We really need to stomp on him.  He just tagged the Tomb Raider franchise -- all thirty years and sixteen-plus installments of it -- as a cult classic.  I reverted it, of course, but we need to smack him down now.

Left a stern warning to chill here: https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...b9s8trboh0
(06-08-2023, 07:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 09:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <snrk>s

We really need to stomp on him.  He just tagged the Tomb Raider franchise -- all thirty years and sixteen-plus installments of it -- as a cult classic.  I reverted it, of course, but we need to smack him down now.

Left a stern warning to chill here: https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...b9s8trboh0

Considering that the Tomb Raider work page quite clearly states that the game is in the World Video Game Hall of Fame, there's no way that it can possibly be considered to be a Cult Classic. Either DDoD has knowingly inserted false text into a page, or DDoD is functionally illiterate.

Either way, should this troper be trusted with Automoderated privileges? We go out of our way to say that this is not a right.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-08-2023, 08:41 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 07:35 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 09:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <snrk>s

Considering that the Tomb Raider work page quite clearly states that the game is in the World Video Game Hall of Fame, there's no way that it can possibly be considered to be a Cult Classic. Either DDoD has knowingly inserted false text into a page, or DDoD is functionally illiterate.

Either way, should this troper be trusted with Automoderated privileges? We go out of our way to say that this is not a right.

I say it happens again, they go back on the Moderation queue.
(06-08-2023, 08:53 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 08:41 AM)robkelk Wrote: Either way, should this troper be trusted with Automoderated privileges? We go out of our way to say that this is not a right.

I say it happens again, they go back on the Moderation queue.

Agreed. If he doesn't get himself bounced first.
-- Bob

In the meantime, I've started going through the contents of Cult Classic. If the category came over in the fork, or was added by anyone other than DemonDuckOfDoom I've left it in place. Otherwise, if duckboy added it, I have been removing it unless I have previously heard the work called such or can find supporting evidence for it.

So far I have gone through all the work names starting with numbers and the letter A, as well as the Zs and the one U-umlaut title that was in the category.
-- Bob

And I'm going through his list of contributions.

He listed the Cthulhu Mythos as a cult classic.

He listed Mortal Kombat as a cult classic.

He listed Puella Magi Madoka Magica -- the biggest and most popular anime franchise of the 2010s -- as a cult classic.

He obviously has no idea what a cult classic is. To protect the wiki, I'm taking away his automoderated privileges now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I trust you've let him know and why.
-- Bob

Oh, yeah.

'Salems Lot ... Doctor Strangelove ... Digimon ... Sorry, I can't go on. Here's the contribution list - we can't just revert everything because some of those works actually are Cult Classics.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm going about it a bit differently -- I'm going through everything in the category, checking their histories, and as I said not removing it if it was there before he got started (which he did more than a year ago, I realized). I'm deleting it from the obvious misuses, confirmed a few proper assignments (even a broken clock is right twice a day), and doing my best to figure out the rest. Although I will say that in the absence of any information one way or another I am included to not give him the benefit of the doubt, and am trusting to the Wiki Magic to correct any errors I make in that case.
-- Bob

Heh. Overnight, ‎Ilikecomputers has gotten into the Cult Classic action. Not a lot, but they've delivered a few slaps to DDoD in their edit reasons for removing the category.
-- Bob

Okay, just finished all "B" and "C" titles. We're down to 815 works in the category, from close to a thousand yesterday. I'll note that Wikipedia is surprisingly good about noting when films have cult followings.
-- Bob

I was following the Miraheze channel on Discord, which had some interesting posts that caught my eye:

Quote:also does this mean that Miraheze gonna die soon? >_>

Probably not, but one former user has said that Miraheze only has 6 months left to live

I would recommend users have plans for both a controlled and uncontrolled shutdown of Miraheze
Uncontrolled being things die at some point and there's no SRE / SRE for a while
Controlled being you get given a date to leave by
I hope the second is most likely

Just FYI.

Honestly I have no clue what's going on but Stewards and Sysadmins are resigning like hotcakes.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Okay so what I think happened, based on reading some backlogs and reading very much between the lines, is that one of the Stewards did a CheckUser and crossreferenced it with someone working at WMF. Either way, something was considered to be a violation of UK law about sharing PII, and basically they got told to do some stuff, including take training on how to handle personal data. And they didn't want to do that class part, and would rather leave.

And the Miraheze Board which has a lot of overlap between Trust & Safety committee was pretty divided on the whole thing. In any case, all of the divisions are coming out and apparently there is like one sysadmin and one steward left at Miraheze, and people are leaving the board too. The WikiForge collaboration is dead, and they're launching (like just yesterday) a free version called WikiTide which is kind of a Miraheze clone.

I'm sure I got something wrong there as there's a lot of guesswork; lots of people are quitting but the main reasons for it are still under NDA.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
In a completely unrelated matter (yeah, right), when was the last time we took an offsite backup of the wiki?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-10-2023, 05:07 AM)Labster Wrote: Okay so what I think happened, based on reading some backlogs and reading very much between the lines, is that one of the Stewards did a CheckUser and crossreferenced it with someone working at WMF.  Either way, something was considered to be a violation of UK law about sharing PII, and basically they got told to do some stuff, including take training on how to handle personal data.  And they didn't want to do that class part, and would rather leave.

And the Miraheze Board which has a lot of overlap between Trust & Safety committee was pretty divided on the whole thing.  In any case, all of the divisions are coming out and apparently there is like one sysadmin and one steward left at Miraheze, and people are leaving the board too.  The WikiForge collaboration is dead, and they're launching (like just yesterday) a free version called WikiTide which is kind of a Miraheze clone.

I'm sure I got something wrong there as there's a lot of guesswork; lots of people are quitting but the main reasons for it are still under NDA.

After a night's sleep and a day's pondering.... A few questions before I start asking on Meta.

Does Miraheze's ISP offer Sysadmin-as-a-Service? (Some ISPs do, some don't, and I know full well the PII and security implications for using it... but it might become necessary.)

Is there anybody on the CVT who's trustworthy and looking for "promotion" to Steward? (At this point, a Y/N answer is sufficient. No names.)

Will they accept as a candidate for Steward somebody who's a Bureaucrat at a big wiki that isn't Meta? (Yes, I know that, because of ATT and the Poser and Daz Free resources wiki, that probably means "me". Not like I have the time, and even if I did there's a possible perceived conflict of interest with my paying job.)

What sort of PII data-protection course are they talking about? (There's a big difference between a course from IAPP and a course from CCCS, for example... not that I expect Miraheze staff to need courses designed to protect systems with data that needs a security clearance to ask about.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown