Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
Sorry about the repeated downtime, we're getting millions of DDoS requests overnight, and we we had to shut down access to Asia last night. Not sure what the plan to deal with that is.

Are any of you interested in running for a community seat on the WikiTide Board? Nominations are open, and I'd be happy to nominate any of you. So far only 3 of 4 seats have been nominated, which was kind of expected.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-28-2024, 12:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:7. Visual Editor's been turned off. It's been there for months. Vote to toss.

Are we absolutely sure that that's the case?  I just got a new computer for work (thus no accumulated cookies and whatnot), and when I visit the wiki on my lunch, I'm still presented with both Edit and Edit Source.

As for the rest, can't say as I can disagree with you.

It's there but disabled for actual accounts for mainspace editing, which are required to actually contribute. We did retain it for talk pages and non-mainspace pages, so it was never outright disabled. Logged in accounts should not be able to use anything other than the source editor.
Hmmmmm... Do we want to mention Indie Wiki Buddy on our page for FANDOM, or would that count as breaking our stance on impartiality? The page already has a cleanup tag saying it isn't impartial.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-30-2024, 01:33 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hmmmmm... Do we want to mention Indie Wiki Buddy on our page for FANDOM, or would that count as breaking our stance on impartiality? The page already has a cleanup tag saying it isn't impartial.

You could still be objective by mentioning it as neutral information. Some to the effect of "FANDOM has seen it's share of critics who believe it's format is less helpful than an independent wiki, and the Indie Wiki Buddy extension is used by those disaffected to find non-FANDOM versions of the same"
(03-30-2024, 04:40 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
Quote:7. Visual Editor's been turned off. It's been there for months. Vote to toss.

Are we absolutely sure that that's the case?  I just got a new computer for work (thus no accumulated cookies and whatnot), and when I visit the wiki on my lunch, I'm still presented with both Edit and Edit Source.

It's there but disabled for actual accounts for mainspace editing, which are required to actually contribute. We did retain it for talk pages and non-mainspace pages, so it was never outright disabled. Logged in accounts should not be able to use anything other than the source editor.

No, the settings in ManageWiki are set for it to be disabled in the main namespace.  VE is very much still on despite that.  I created T12006 to track it.
(03-30-2024, 02:21 PM)Labster Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 04:40 AM)GethN7 Wrote:

No, the settings in ManageWiki are set for it to be disabled in the main namespace.  VE is very much still on despite that.  I created T12006 to track it.

Okay, I did not know that, thanks for doing that.
Once more, as it always should have been, the Orain banner flies proudly on the bottom of the pages of All The Tropes.  Back in the Orain server, you don't know how lucky you are, boy.

And if you enjoy our new name, here's something we think you'll really love, written by yours truly.  (If you're confused by this, see this actual real article from Fandom's front page.)

For the record, allthetropes.orain.org has worked for more than a year.
Due to the recent passing of my father, I will need to step away for some time for personal reasons. I wrote this for when this day would come:

https://gethn7.blogspot.com/2024/04/a-fa...ather.html
I grieve with you, Daniel.

Take all the time you need.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We'll be here when you feel able to come back. In the mean time, you have our sympathy and compassion.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Very sorry to hear that.  May his path to the next life be straight.

On topic, I came across a missing template on Four-Temperament Ensemble, but the backlinks from that template were empty.  I opened an issue and it managed to find a few more pages.  With links refreshed, you might find some more stuff to work on as well.  I see on WantedTemplates someone used {{Needs Moe Info}} which sounds adorable.
Quote:I see on WantedTemplates someone used {{Needs Moe Info}} which sounds adorable.

<rimshot>

Might have been me, I routinely put {{Needs More Info}} on pages I think are too brief and that has the look of one of my usual typos.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(04-03-2024, 07:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:I see on WantedTemplates someone used {{Needs Moe Info}} which sounds adorable.

<rimshot>

Might have been me, I routinely put {{Needs More Info}} on pages I think are too brief and that has the look of one of my usual typos.

No, that one was my fault. Sorry about that...

EDIT: Although I suppose that "a rabbit who is also The Grim Reaper" could be compared to Risky...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What's with whatever tool we're using on the Reviews subpages not understanding the standard wiki formatting in the page description boxes? It reports at least one standard Magic Word as a missing template (although it actions the magic word correctly), it doesn't display the category "Reviews" in the category list, and it prefixes the word "Category:" to the categories that it does display (although it sends people to the correct categories). Somebody's going to wonder why the heck this thing is broken...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The way we do reviews has long been broken. I have an archive of reviews carried over at the fork from TVT, and I haven't done anything with them because (among other reasons) of it.
-- Bob

A heads-up on the Moderation Queue: We've got someone named "Minni128" who dumped over a dozen new pages into the wiki. I reviewed a couple of them last night, and had to reject two for copyright violation. If someone gets to the rest of them before I do, just... be aware.
-- Bob

Thanks, Bob. I've only had time to clear low-hanging fruit from the queue this week and last, so I hadn't seen those yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-04-2024, 01:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Thanks, Bob. I've only had time to clear low-hanging fruit from the queue this week and last, so I hadn't seen those yet.

<grimace> It just took me 15 minutes to get through the next page from them in the queue, between cleaning it up and writing a note about what was wrong with it. And I just took a look at the next one. One sentence of description, so uninformative they might as well have not written anything at all. Just like the last three. <sigh> I am really tempted to be a hardass about everything they've submitted... I don't have time for all this.
-- Bob

I just wanted to tell you all I can return to duty, as it were. I do plan to move in a couple of months and that will require some time to settle then, but I have a few months to get a bunch of IRL stuff sorted before moving is even on the table, so in the meantime, thanks for everyone who was willing to give me time off, it was appreciated.
No worries.

(It isn't as if anybody can dock our pay for taking time off, after all. Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not a problem at all. Do what needs doing.
-- Bob

Special:LintErrors and the pages linked from it haven't updated in over two weeks. Ticket T12032 entered.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-09-2024, 08:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Special:LintErrors and the pages linked from it haven't updated in over two weeks. Ticket T12032 entered.

It's been over 24 hours and the ticket hasn't even been triaged yet. I left a "have you seen it?" question on the Meta talk page of the only person who appears to do trouble-ticket triaging.

(And if there is only one person doing trouble-ticket triaging, then you have a single point of failure at the very beginning of the incident-resolution process.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There's a note to you that got CC'ed to my email, Rob, asking for a specific example of a fixed error that remains on the list.
-- Bob

(04-10-2024, 11:06 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 08:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Special:LintErrors and the pages linked from it haven't updated in over two weeks. Ticket T12032 entered.

It's been over 24 hours and the ticket hasn't even been triaged yet. I left a "have you seen it?" question on the Meta talk page of the only person who appears to do trouble-ticket triaging.

(And if there is only one person doing trouble-ticket triaging, then you have a single point of failure at the very beginning of the incident-resolution process.)

Don't be crazy.  There's zero people ticket triaging.  Like everything else, it's volunteers doing things if they get around to it.

Also they're waiting for a reply from you.