--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Weird & Interesting science, take 2
How the world sounds (and in some cases looks) to animals

non-embedded

Of course, it's just playing with playback speed adjusted to account for speed of perception as determined by brain activity in response to the speed of flashing lights, because how would you even demonstrate hearing outside the human range to a human audience, but it's still pretty nifty, especially the bit with bird calls.
--
‎noli esse culus
Evidence of bacterium evolving to become nitrogen fixing organelle

inside a marine algae.
Researchers discover the first fractal molecule occurring in nature.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Anton Petrov - Never Before Seen Object Collided with a Neutron Star and Nobody Knows What
NASA seems to have managed to fix the communication problem with Voyager 1
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...e=facebook
Anton Petrov - Bizarre form of water ice solves a magnetic mystery on Neptune and Uranus
Anton Petrov - New strong evidence for the existence of Planet 9, Here's what we know
To See The Northern Lights Aurora Tonight, Use Your Phone’s Camera

Forbes is providing news that's actually useful. CBC is scaremongering, mentioning that current solar activity is comparable to the Carrington Event. Well, yeah, everything is comparable to everything else, even apples and oranges. (But just in case the Internet's not working tomorrow, it was nice knowing you all.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Of course it's raining here. Just like every other time in the last few years they've promised big auroras.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
There's a "new" (as in a month ago) Ze Frank nature video, this time about bees.

I always knew those little bastards were conspiring about something!

edit: and two more since then, as well:

Pidgeons and Possums

Sounds like some kind of urban fantasy RPG to me...
--
‎noli esse culus
One more -- a PBS short on how it's not zombie sharks with frikken lasers or giant mutant cockroaches we should be looking out for after an apocalypse, but the terrifying global domination of sponges as they floomph and willomy, looming in the billowing unending rain of debris falling out from above like misshapen fibrous harbingers of a new and eldritch order fit to shatter all sanity and consume the ruin of what came before!

Well, maybe not exactly, but I'm pretty sure Lovecraft would be horrified anyway.
--
‎noli esse culus
New theory suggests time is an illusion created by quantum entanglement.
-- Bob

(06-04-2024, 02:21 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: New theory suggests time is an illusion created by quantum entanglement.

"New"?

"Time is basically an illusion created by the mind to aid in our sense of temporal presence in the vast ocean of space."
-- Abhijit Naskar, Love, God & Neurons: Memoir of a scientist who found himself by getting lost (2016)

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the illusion part isn't new -- and I was remembering the HHGTTG quote the whole time I was posting that -- but a proposed mechanism by which the illusion is formed, that's new.
-- Bob

(06-04-2024, 02:41 PM)"robkelk Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 02:21 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: New theory suggests time is an illusion created by quantum entanglement.

"New"?

"Time is basically an illusion created by the mind to aid in our sense of temporal presence in the vast ocean of space."
-- Abhijit Naskar, Love, God & Neurons: Memoir of a scientist who found himself by getting lost (2016)

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)

"The Wave Harmonic Theory of Historical Perception, in its simplest form, states that history is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and that time is an illusion caused by the passage of history. It also states that one's perception of these illusions is conditioned by three important facts:
  • Who you are;
  • Where you are;
  • And when you last had lunch with Zaphod Beeblebrox."
-- HHGTTG Fit the Eighth (second of the Secondary Phase), originally broadcast 21 January 1980
SpaceX Starship makes a successful flight from launch to soft water landing, despite reentry plasma partially melting away the control surfaces

Whoosh!
--
‎noli esse culus