Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

Oh, look who's back.

I've already banned the sockpuppet and its IP address.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yeah, I saw -- good catch, Rob. Headed him off at the pass this time.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

He's back again. (And I'm dropping the banhammer again.) I think we're going to have to get Miraheze to intervene.
--
Rob Kelk

So... I've just gotten done redistributing a whole lot of material that was hanging off the disambiguation page for "Fantastic Four", and I had a thought for a new category that would be just for fun and probably even larger than anyone might expect: Stan Lee Cameo.

Thoughts, opinions, brickbats?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:So... I've just gotten done redistributing a whole lot of material that was hanging off the disambiguation page for "Fantastic Four", and I had a thought for a new category that would be just for fun and probably even larger than anyone might expect: Stan Lee Cameo.

Thoughts, opinions, brickbats?
If you have the time, go for it - it isn't as if we have a space limit. Do you have the time?
--
Rob Kelk

It actually won't take all that long. I'll just pull up his IMDB page and search for each film or show in the wiki. Of course, he has something like 50 or 100 cameos dating all the way back to the 1960s (I looked once, some months back). Still, it's not going to take that long to add to each page.

Hm. What if I make it a trope instead of a category? I think I could actually make a good case for that. And I have 50 or 100 examples...
-- Bob
---------

If it's going to be a trope, maybe "Creator Cameo" would be a better choice. Alfred Hitchcock made more than a few cameos in his works, IIRC.
--
Rob Kelk

Mm. He is already listed there under Film. Which should theoretically put him on all those films' pages already. I was thinking more of a just-for-fun subtrope, if I went the trope route at all.
-- Bob
---------

Just in: TVTropes updated their design... again.

A rather important required across-the-wiki fix:

[[media:example.filetype] returns a 404 for any value of "example.filetype". [[file:example.filetype] returns the file.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
If it's going to be a trope, maybe "Creator Cameo" would be a better choice. Alfred Hitchcock made more than a few cameos in his works, IIRC.
You can add Steven Spielberg to the list - he's quite fond of cameoing in his own films.
Oh yeah, M. Night Shyamalan does this, too, though he played a larger role in The Happening.

Was just watching the first episode of Gravity Falls and I had the sudden realization: Vomiting Rainbows is a relatively new trope and it must be documented. :p

Go for it!
--
Rob Kelk

I only really know of two actual occurrences in fiction off the top of my head. Any help?

King of All Cosmos does it in the first Katamari Damacy. ROYAL RAINBOW!
-- ∇×V

Hmmmm, dunno. The way I've seen the trope play out before is, "Something you have done has made me sick, and therefore I shall gross you out by vomiting rainbows in the corner."

The two times I've seen this was in the first episode of Gravity Falls and in that one tongue-in-cheek magical girls webcomic... the name of which I've gone blank on... :p

Pretty sure I'll be able to find it because the same people do a whole slew of others.

Put the page up as a "Tropes Workshop" page - folks should come by and offer more examples. (Whether they will is debatable, but they should.)
--
Rob Kelk

I created a page for the netcast series WeatherBrains, but I could very much appreciate some help in filling its trope list. Vorticity especially, since that show's right up his alley!

Can't help provide any tropes, but I did add the "Works Needing Tropes" category to the page - that puts it on the Community Portal where everyone can see it.
--
Rob Kelk

Did something happen with... I don't know, whatever runs various features? I just opened up a page and realized the hovering spoiler toggle was no longer working. I went to my preferences page and it was no longer tabbed. Things seem... crippled.
Edit:  Hotcat is not there.  I have to hit the Edit link twice to enter the editor.  Autocomplete isn't appearing.  Something's definitely wrong/broken.
-- Bob
---------

Hotcat is missing from the freebie wiki as well, and autocomplete is slow. (We don't use the spoiler tag.)

I suspect something's wrong across Miraheze.
--
Rob Kelk

I'm going to assume they already know -- every time I go to IRC to report something like this, they've already been hard at work on it.
-- Bob
---------

The Search function isn't working properly for me; it offers old versions of the pages I'm looking for, some of them dating back as far as 2014.  If I go by connections between tropes, I can still work my way to the up-to-date versions, but typing the page name into Search takes me into the past....
Edit:  Just to clarify, this happened with a page I'd edited a week previously.  The Search only gave me -- and still only shows -- the November 2014 version of that page.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Ooooohhhhhh... I want this so much for the freebie wiki - but the freebie wiki isn't ready for it yet.

Do we want it for ATT?
--
Rob Kelk

Interesting. But how does it immediately help ATT? If we were turning ATT into wikidata that it could access, I could see a benefit -- the ability to query the wiki much like you can IMDB. But just tying into it from ATT? I'm not sure what it gives us.
-- Bob
---------