Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread

No, I'm saying ponies outmass humans by a couple of factors...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:No, I'm saying ponies outmass humans by a couple of factors...
Relative size of MLP ponies to humans is one of those fairly pointless debates that has been hashed out repeatedly, using the size of identifiable produce and real-world animals seen in the show, and the first generation of the show when they had human visitors.  General opinion is that the "little" ponies are indeed little compared to real world ponies.

----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

There are some truly minuscule equine breeds: the Ponies of the G1 show actually seem larger than Miniature Horses; more like one of the smaller Mountain and Moorland pony breeds. Sadly, none of those articles discuss the mass of the ponies, but I'd suspect a good-sized Shetland still outmasses a human.

Granted, but the phrasing seemed to clearly imply size over mass. Just sayin.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

ClassicDrogn Wrote:For best effect, Doug's line comes the evening before the morning when Discord revives.

- CD
Given the timing, and his "finite improbability field", I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow Dash decided that he was a spy.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I was going to say, it's a good thing Doug's field only really gets obvious when projectile weapons are involved, or certain ponies would be very concerned...

ClassicDrogn Wrote:For best effect, Doug's line comes the evening before the morning when Discord revives.
And a followup, later that morning:

"Eimi's no help. All she says is it takes an Archangel to remove Discord."

[size=smaller](What? Keep in mind Eimi's favourite RPG.)[/size]
--
Rob Kelk

Years previously..... on the bridge of a Starship.

-----

"I've come to put an end to your little trek thro..... Oh No, not you again"

"Again? I haven't met you before in my life,"

"Oh you humans think in such narrow dimensions...."

-----

*SNERK* Going with the meta knowledge passed between beings via meta Actor link trope then

NO QUARTER!!!

Discord doesn't just share an actor with Q: he's an explicit reference to Star Trek's trickster god. They were even going to look for people with a good DeLancie impression before the man himself offered his services.

For beings like Discord and Q, it's very easy for the relationship to change from "derivation" to "identity".

okay. didnt know that as while I know broad strokes of the new version (my nephew is a closet brony) I didnt know that bit of it. jsut the DeLancy did both parts.

NO QUARTER!!!

Quote:98.

I really didn't want to have to belt the girl, but she just wouldn't give up. She kept trying to get to her rifle and I didn't want to have to deal with that. I gave her a nice, solid whack to separate her from her consciousness for a couple of hours while I figured this post-apocalyptic world out.

My reprieve was short-lived when the door to the warehouse slid open and a dozen more women stood there. Some were armed with conventional weapons: an uzi there, an AK-47 over there. Others, less so. At least one girl (almost dressed as a pirate) was carrying a pair of flintlocks while another carried a Flammenwerfer 35. Some of them, however, were armed with weapons that I couldn't figure out how they got. One girl was carrying what looked to be one of Egon's proton packs. Another was carrying a man-pack gatling gun.

Most of them were only partially clothed and damn if they weren't all gorgeous. They all had me covered and I let out a long sigh. I turned to face them and prepared to combat hype.

"Oh," the one with the proton pack exclaimed, almost disgustedly. "It's just a man."

My eyes went wide. "What do you mean, ‘just a man!?'"

(by Mark Skarr)

Later in the same nanostep:

Quote:"Sangnoir, you fight like a girl."

"Uh... thank you?"
--
Rob Kelk

Heh. Given who the heavy hitters in the Warriors are, that's a hell of a compliment.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There was a sign carved into the pillar:

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Hexe always says I'm already mad, and I'm professional enough to not invite trouble. So I left it alone.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:There was a sign carved into the pillar:
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.
Hexe always says I'm already mad, and I'm professional enough to not invite trouble. So I left it alone.
I'm suddenly struck by the image of Doug meeting Aslan with the aside, "I twot I taw a puddy tat...."
Of course, Doug being of the right age, he might see Aslan and be totally gobsmacked. The Chronicles are well-known for people of my age and older, and Doug's about ten years my senior, if I remember correctly.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I dunno, I read the Chronicles in high school, myself, and Doug and I are contemporaries to within a month...
-- Bob
---------

I read them in elementary/middle school, and managed to completely miss the entire Christian allegory. (The fact that I went to an all-Jewish day school might have contributed to this slightly, though.)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

There was Christian allegory in Chronicles of Narnia? Really? Wow.

- CD, thought it was pretty dang pagan actually...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Considering that
the allegory's pretty clear to me...
--
Rob Kelk

Narnia's pretty famous for being a Christian allegory. Entirely by itself it blocked some of the anti-D&D crusaders of the 80s and 90s from outright denouncing the Fantasy genre as a whole -- I remember seeing one diatribe which pretty much began "well, roleplaying by itself is all right, psychotherapists use it to heal people. And fantasy by itself is all right, too -- CS Lewis wrote a whole lot of it. But Fantasy Role Playing is the Tool of the Devil Himself!!!!!!1!one"
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I dunno, I read the Chronicles in high school, myself, and Doug and I are contemporaries to within a month...
Precisely. So, Doug would likely know who Aslan is, know that Aslan is a Christ allegory, and, given the DW cosmology of gods encountered are manifestations of much more powerful Beings (the tip of a finger, as I believe Skuld put it), then he's likely to put two and two together and get that he'd be talking to Jehovah/Yahweh/etc.
I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty gobsmacked. At least for a few minutes.

Ebony the Black Dragon

Ebony Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I dunno, I read the Chronicles in high school, myself, and Doug and I are contemporaries to within a month...
Precisely. So, Doug would likely know who Aslan is, know that Aslan is a Christ allegory, and, given the DW cosmology of gods encountered are manifestations of much more powerful Beings (the tip of a finger, as I believe Skuld put it), then he's likely to put two and two together and get that he'd be talking to Jehovah/Yahweh/etc.
I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty gobsmacked. At least for a few minutes.

Your argument is predicated upon the Narnia books both existing and being popular fiction on Doug's world. It is possible that neither supposition is true.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Additionally, Doug has had enough contact with divinities, including working for one (Hexe), that meeting another wouldn't be enough to 'gobsmack' him.

Timote Wrote:Additionally, Doug has had enough contact with divinities, including working for one (Hexe), that meeting another wouldn't be enough to 'gobsmack' him.
There's a difference, at least in my mind, between meeting a god, and meeting God. Maybe it's just me.

Ebony the Black Dragon

There really isn't a difference, qualitatively, in the Walk. Capital-G-God is a role, played in numerous timelines by a 12-dimensional entity (or in some cases two or more entities). Usually this is the being who is essentially the Team Leader of one of the two(?) sides, the one generally presumed to be aligned to "Good". (It's not really that simple, and involves some 12-dimensional issues that simply aren't explainable to 4-D life-forms, but one of the results of being on that side of the issue is moral/ethical behavior that most humans would define as "Good".) Aslan is as much as "finger puppet" as Skuld or any of Hexe's pre-incarnation identities; the fact that he's a lion might surprise Doug, but that's about it.
-- Bob
---------