Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SetFocus LLC
SetFocus LLC
Has anyone heard of this outfit? This was the place that had me taking the aptitude test last week (which the rep said was adaptive, getting harder the more
hard questions you answered, which makes me feel better about my performance). Anyway, although they were posting jobs as though they were a recruiter, they
are apparently a kind of school, and about 15% of their students go through their training courses free in exchange for a contract commitment (2000 hours/24
months, whichever comes first). Microsoft lists them as a Gold Certified Partner, but I've also seen a lot of people basically calling them a scam. After
listening and thinking and googling, I'm inclined to turn them down, but I'd like to know if anyone has any opinions on them they'd like to share
first.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Never heard of them, but everything I've read about them makes them not very trustworthy IMO.

As for the MS GCP thing, don't take that as worth anything. It's ridiculously easy to get that.

Well, I've sent off an email to the woman I spoke to saying "thanks but no thanks". I fully expect to get a phone call from her tomorrow, but God
invented Caller ID for a reason.
-- Bob
---------

Never heard of them either, but a quick bit of poking around on the net says they're probably a scam.

One of the posters said he'd basically lucked out on his job after finishing with those people, and said that was a good thing since he was in hock to them
for something like $60,000 plus.

For that kind of money, you can go to a proper university and get a Ph.D.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I have absolutely no information about this particular organization.

Speaking in general, I see no reason why any legitimate educational institute would need to masquerade as a recruiter.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I got an email back from the rep this morning which came off as surprisingly mellow compared to the phone call yesterday. It still suggests that I should check
out their site for testimonials. More ominously, the rep notes she will be checking back with me from time to time to see how my job search is going. I'll
tell you right now, I won't be too inclined to answer those emails or calls.

I think we can call this one closed. Thanks for the opinions, folks.
-- Bob
---------