Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Mr. Fusion
Looking for Mr. Fusion
Many years ago, I read a short story about a man who sold a mysterious black box device called Mr. Fusion (I think). This box, about the size of a cube
refridgerator, allegedly could power a 4-person home for 100 years without refeuling. The box was trapped to self-destruct when tampered with, and since the
company refused to comment on the fuel or process by which the energy was created, is was a true mystery to everybody how it worked. The box sold for $1000,
and proceeded to destroy the energy industry and most of society. I believe the story stopped soon after that.

Can anybody help remind of the story's name and author? Anytime I tried to do a Google search, all I get are pages about Back to the Future and current
cheap energy research.

Only thing I could think of offhand were Heinlein's descriptions of the Shipstone companies in "Friday" and the Future History stories.

I remember a similar story, although the device wasn't called "Mr Fusion", and was somewhat less powerful (2 required to power a caravan, 30
years warranty).

The story was called Chicken Little and the Acme Little Giant by Randy Asplund-Faith
and appeared in "Analog" magazine, in april 1988. ("Acme Little Giant" was the name of the device)

Hope this helps.

While interesting, I don't think that's the one. I'm fairly certain about the 4-person home and 100 years details (it's the only part of the
story I recall clearly). Thanks for the ref, though, I"ll try to find a copy of it.

Steve