Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall anime Season
Fall anime Season
I've been watching Nyan Koi and for romantic comedies this one is pretty hilarious.

Anyone else have any anime series they'd like to recommend?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

So far, I've seen the first episode of "Seitokai no Ichizon". I liked it... but I appear to be in the minority.

But a "list" of one episode isn't very helpful. I doubt that a few folks would mind me reposting their Usenet posts on this topic. Posts are reformatted to the Web.

I'll start with Dave Baranyi:
Quote:The Fall 09 anime season is now around a month old so I am going to give an update on what I am still watching and what I dropped, along with my ratings.

Dropped after 1 episode:

"Kampfer", rating: C-

"Seitokai no Ichizon", rating: C+

"Tatakau Shishou", rating: D

"Sacred Blacksmith", rating: C

"Letter Bee", rating: C

"Yumeiro Patissiere", rating: C+

"Miracle Train", rating: D+

"11 Eyes", rating: D

"Cheburashka Arare", rating: C

"Himitsu Kessha Taka no Tsume Countdown", rating: D-

"Gokyoudai Monogatari", rating: C

Dropped after 2 episodes:

"Kobato", rating: C

"Aoi Bungaku Series", rating: C

"Kaidan Restaurant", rating: C

Dropped after 3 episodes:

"Trapeze/Kuuchuu Burenko", rating: C+

Still watching:

"Nyan Koi", episodes watched: 5, rating: B-

"Natsu no Arashi 2", episodes watched: 4, rating: A+

"Sora no Otoshimono", episodes watched: 4, rating: B+

"Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo", episodes watched: 4, rating: B+

"Kimi ni Todoke", episodes watched: 4, rating: A-

"Kotatsuneko", episodes watched: 4, rating: C+

"Fairy Tail", episodes watched: 3, rating: C+

Comments:

I tried out a lot fewer new series this Fall because many of the new series were sequels to anime series that I didn't like in the past.

I may well drop "Kotatsuneko" and "Fairy Tail" in another episode or two if they don't pick up.

"Sora no Otoshimono" is either stupidly brilliant or brilliantly stupid - take your pick. In either case I'm laughing more at this piece of superb idiocy than I have at anything in a long time. The humor in this series reminds me tremendously of the humor in "Urusei Yatsura".

"Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo" is a very strange and edgy kid's show with lots of subtleties for adult viewers. In that sense it reminds me of "Saint October". And as with "Saint October", it doesn't appear that many people are following this series.

"Nyan Koi" appears to be heading towards becoming a typical AIC harem anime, which is a shame because it showed a lot of potential at the beginning.

I'm a bit concerned that the gentle fun of the early episodes of "Kimi ni Todoke" may be overwhelmed by waves of shoujo-angst, if episode 4 is any indicator of future trends.

And finally, "Natsu no Arashi 2" is pushing all the right buttons for me again and I've already pre-ordered the first R2 DVD.

Dave Baranyi

And yes, I'm still following "Meitantei Conan", "One Piece", and "Marie and Gali".

Next up, Ishikawa Kazuo (who gets to watch his anime on broadcast TV)...
Quote:This is the list of my ratings to new shows based on every
first episode I watched. Ratings may vary episode by episode. The number isn't the rank but only a sequence for convenience. Sorted by stars.

Indication:
[for k:kids, sConfusedhoujo, g:grown-ups]
(studio/production)
*:fair, **:enjoyable, ***:must see
a:good animation/artwork, d:good drama/story, h:humorous/hilarious, m:good music, v:violent, w:heartwarming, +:outstanding (e.g. a+ means outstanding animation/artwork)

1) Kimi ni todoke (Production I.G): ***, a+dhw
Sawako looks like a heroine of a horror movie and the hischool has widespread rumors of her black spiritual power and ghost attracting characteristics that scare students to death. But in the reality, she is gentle, smart and naive person with no such spiritual quality. Shouta is a frank and cheerful boy and one of a few classmates who are willing to talk to her. A heartwarming love comedy about pure-minded boy and girl. Surprisingly charming animation, likable characters and very good direction. It's like cool clear water to refresh.
2) Darker Than Black/Twins of shooting star (Bones): ***, a+dm
Two years ago when Tokyo Explosion occured, a shooting star hit Shion in Siberia and he became a Contractor. In this world, Brazil has the heaven's gate and Tokyo has the hell's gate that cause fake sky and strange force field cover the planet entirely. A Contractor loses own original personality and gets super natural ability. A govermental force FSB searches for Contractors and reaches a labo where Shion and his twin sister Suou live. With the help of a guard, however, they run away promptly and get survived. Lively animation and excellent direction. Looks like a completely different series that shares the settings of the prequel.

3) Nyankoi! (AIC): **, ah+
Junpei gets cursed by cats and now he is able to talk with cats. He has allergy for cats but Nyamsus, a large fat black cat of his family, tells him that he must do 100 good things for cats in order to quell the curse. By an accident, he saves cats in a park from being bothered by Kaede whom he is longing for. Very funny. Sharp direction. KOBAYASHI Yuu penned the avant-garde drawing of the ending. She is the VA for Maria of Mariaholic, Clorie of Basquash! etc. and was once a fashion model. She has very unique personality and her painting also seems to be famous in anime fandom.
4) Kobato. [s?](Madhouse): **, ahw
Kobato and her mentor Iyorogi that is a talking toy dog descend upon our world in order to collect wounded hearts in a cosmetic bottle. Her wish comes true if she fills up the bottle with the hearts. The first test she has to pass is living in the city by the common sense. Finally, she gets appreciation from an old lady and passes the test. A man who keeps complaining is typical to CLAMP and it's irritating. SAKAMOTO Maaya sings the OP and NAJIMA Ai sings the ED song. Same as Macross Frontire.

5) Yumeiro Patissiere [s](Hibari): *, hmw

Ichigo, 13, is just an ordinary dojikko while her younger sister Natsume wins at a piano competition. After the event, Ichigo finds a Sweets Festa at a department store and runs into it. The taste of a gateau au chocolat reminds her of her grand mother's cake. It's Henri who made it and he studied at the same school as did Ichigo's grand mother. As Henri invites her to the school, she decides to study to be a patissiere. Pure-minded genki girl and kind adults plus a variety of good-looking cakes.
6) Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen (Sunrise): *, ah
Hakudoji et al. are tyring to collect pieces of Shikon to escape from the control of Naraku and attack Kagome et al. A sequel. Nothing has changed much.
7) Fairy Tail (A1-Pictures+Satelight): *, h
Fiore is a kingdom of magic. Lucy is an apprentice of magic user and comes to the country to find a job at a famous guild Fairy Tail. When she is caught by a trick, a young man Natsu saves her. He has come to the town to meet a sorcerer who calls himself Salamander, but Natsu finds the man is fake. Natsu gets angry and blows him away. Natsu is working for Fairy Tail and invites Lucy to the guild. Pale copy of One Piece.
8) Tatakau Shisho (david prod.): *, a
When a cargo ship was sunk by an armed religious sect Shinreki Kyodan, Colio who was a slave in the ship gets a piece of a hieroglyph that spells a grudge of Chambuille who was executed as the witch of ruin. Chambuille reminds me of Jeanne d'Arc and the show also has magic, superstition, fanaticism, a powerful religious group and execution.
9) Seiken no Katanakaji (Manglobe): *, a
Cecily became a knight to succeed to her father's duty as she is the only child of the family. For her poor skill and weak sword, she is defeated by a swordman and gets her sword broken. But a young man Luke saves her by cutting the man's sword apart. It's katana that Luke made. Afterwards, she visits Luke's workshop to get a new katana to replace her broken sword. It's like a retelling of a medieval knight story of princess, swordmen, dragons and magic. Rather bland.
10) Sasamekikoto [s](AIC): *, d

Kazama is always looking for cute girls. Murasame, her long time friend, secretly loves her but Kazama has never awared of her feeling. When Kazama was disappointed by her senpai and crys like a baby, Murasame regrets not to be able to be the one for her. I generally don't like yuri, but the show describes girls' emotion delicately and faithfully. The script writer is KURATA Hideyuki (R.O.D, Kamichu!, Kannagi etc). I like the OP song.
11) Asura Cryin' (Seven Arcs): *, h
Tomoharu et al. find the ruins of Laclois in the underpass of the school. Tomoharu sees a vision of the past of Misao and himself. The failure of an experiment caused the collision of two parallel worlds and resulted in the silent destruction of the world. The script still looks poor.
12) Tegamibachi (Pierrot): *
Gauche and his dog Tiengo come to ruins and find his next letter to deliver is a kid, Rodin, whose mother was kidnapped and brought to the capital city. They starts to go to the destination anyway. But the world is filled with large mean insects and the trip must be very difficult.

13) Anyamaru Tantei [k?](HAL): a
Rim and Rico sisters find magic compacts in the hidden attic of their house. By the compacts, they transform into something which look like toy animals. KAWAMORI Shoji's latest work. The OP and ED songs are in Chinese. I don't get why this show also has a midnight time slot for rerun.
14) Aoi Bungaku [g](Madhouse): a
Based on Ningen Shikkaku written by DAZAI Osamu. Story of a looser who takes part of anti-government agitation and finally goes to the edge of a sea cliff with a woman for suicide. Hopelessly dark. Dazai himself comitted suicide with his lover six decades ago. He jumped into the stream near the Ghibli Museum.
15) Miracle Train (Yumeta): h
Chinatsu who don't have friends get in a car of a subway. The car has no passengers but some bishiis who have the same name as the stations of Oh Edo Subway Line of Tokyo. They counsels her for her mental problem. Looks more like a tourist's guide show.
16) Kuuchuu Buranko (Toei):
Kouhei has insomnia for having foreign colleagues who don't speak Japanese. It's so dangerous that he can neither communicate nor synchronize with his partner in the performance of trapezes 30 feet above the ground. He visits a psychiatrist but the docter makes him confused even more. Experimental artwork.
17) KIDDY GiRL-AND (Satelight):
25 years after Eclaire stopped the destruction of a planet, Asecour stops terrorists from killing the director of the bureau of GTO by her teleportation ability. French-like bizarre names of characters. Poor script. A sister series of KIDDY GRADE. This is not a Gonzo's product, though.
18) Kaidan Restaurant (Toei):
Ako guides Shou who moved from London lately around the town, and they visit the Ghost Story Restaurant that runs only midnight. In the restaurant, Shou takes a movie by his handycam and finds white goasts that they don't see by their naked eyes. Bland.
19) Gokyoudai Monogatari (ShinEi Douga):
Two small kids, Onei and JunIchiro, live in downtown Tokyo alone because their parents work abroad. All old people in the town keep watching what they are doing. Needs more wit.
20) Natsu no Arashi 2 (Shaft):
Arashi et al. go to beach. Arashi chooses a bikini while Kaya isn't as courageous as Arashi. Jun has more serious problem that Hajime doesn't know Jun is a girl. Cat and rat cartoon alike.
21) Sora no Otoshimono (AIC ASTA):
Tomoki sees a girl with wings who asks him to help in his dream. One day, large Corinth-style stone columns fall down from the sky. So does the girl who is actually an Angeloid for pet. Tomoki saves her and she inprints him as her master. Boring.
22) 11 Eyes (Doga Kobo):
Yuka and Kakeru are brought up by an orphanage and now studying at the same hischool. They go to shopping. When they take hand by hand, they are tripped into another world and surrounded by monsters. Bland.
23) Seitokai no ichizon (Deen):
Kii is the only boy in the student council of Hekiou hischool. Various types of gilrs are in the council and he wants to make it his harem. A lot of anime related jokes. Looks more like a sister series of Comic Party.
24) Toaru Kagaku no Choudenjihou (J.C.Staff):
Mikoto is attacked by a gang. When Kuroko arrives to do "judgement" to them, however, she knocked down most of them already. Mikoto is a highest level ESPer in the town. Right after the incident, they find bank robbery and stop it. Doesn't look like a legitimate sequel because Touma and Index are out of sight.
25) Kampfer (NOMAD):
Natsuru gets totally shocked when he wakes up one morning and finds himself turned into a busty girl. A weird toy tiger tells him that he is drafted as a Kampfer [German: fighter] and he turns into a girl when he is ready to fight because(?) Kampfer must be a girl?! Illogical, stupid and brain damaged.

--
/ Ishikawa Kazuo /
[/s][/s]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012