Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven Has Frozen Over
Heaven Has Frozen Over
Two years after the last supplement in the line was released, and four years after this supplement finished playtest, In Nomine Superiors: Zadkiel was released today.

Yay!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

What.

Seriously, what?

...that's still around!?

And me without roleplaying friends to try IN with... sad.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Hell, I'm ready to buy it just so I can put money in Kris Overstreet's pocket.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Quote:Hell, I'm ready to buy it just so I can put money in Kris Overstreet's pocket.
That's as good a reason as any...

(I'm just hoping it'll sell well. The more copies this sells, the more likely Superiors: Marc will move from the slushpile to the production pipeline and eventually become available. Tossing a few coins toward the co-writer of Bubblegum Pink is a bonus.)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote: Herr Bad Moon wrote:

Hell, I'm ready to buy it just so I can put money in Kris Overstreet's pocket.

Kris Overstreet is going RPG publishing? Last I heard (ages ago) he was doing comics

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

The byline on this does say Kris and Beth McCoy...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Apparently, Superiors: Zadkiel sold really well.

Liber Canticorum is now available on e23.
--
Rob Kelk

Coolness.
-- Bob
---------

Every indication is the rpg industry is going to go heavily into the pdf market in the near future. Many of the top publishers are releasing a lot of pdf only
supplements. The only publisher pulling back from the e-market is Wizards of the Coast.

----------------

Epsilon

*Big echo-y God-voice 'o Doom at WotC!*

You foolish pathetic little sub-creatures! Do you not know what you have done?

*cough*

Sorry, just had to do that.

The Game Master's Guide is now available on e23.

(It's getting cold enough to freeze nitrogen... Although there are no more e23 releases this calendar year of any sort, so the flow of IN goodies should ease off a bit...)
--
Rob Kelk

The basement
On a semi-related note, what ever happened to "The Basement" at Warehouse23.com? All the weird and wacky stuff, like the fossilized raptor/Nike
footprint, Dick Clark's Dorian-Gray portrait, the big crate dated 1945 containing a bazillion punched cards and a note on top reading "Hitler
Braintape -- DO NOT LOAD!!!"? Did they just get rid of it?

A quick Google shows that it is still there.

http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/

Quote: You open one of the 995 boxes on this floor and find...

A paper shopping bag containing a 5,000-piece jigsaw puzzle. When assembled, the puzzle turns out to be a photograph of the group opening the crate that
contained the puzzle.

You open one of the 995 boxes on this floor and find...

A dozen copies of GURPS Fantasy Folk, enclosed in protective shrinkwrap. This edition has no information on Elves, but there is
a four page section on Humans (Statistics: ST +1, DX -1, IQ -1. Advantages: DR +1, Strong Will. Disadvantages: Short Lifespan (five levels), No Magery,
Social Stigma: Slave Race.)

A sheet of plain paper. It has the opening scene of "Macbeth" handwritten on the the front; the play continues on the other side . . . and then
keeps continuing on the other other side. The paper shows a new 'side' each time it is turned over one way; it goes 'back' a page
when turned over the other way.

A long , hollow plastic rod marked "Wand of Hyperstimulation." Closer examination reveals that it is a king-sized Pixy Stix.

A mountain bike with spiked tires. It has no kickstand, but otherwise seems perfectly ordinary - until you try to go away and leave it. You can't lie
it down on the floor, it just balances, and it will follow the person with the highest charisma. It *likes* you now. It's inhabited by a neutral spirit,
with a very odd sense of humor, and it can follow you *anywhere* . . .

Several glass bottles containing various powders, liquids, and gels, all of different colors and appearances. A note at the bottom of the crate has
several strange formulae in chemical notation, accompanied by a single phrase written in Russian Cyrillic: "Preserve Dick Clark at all costs." It
is signed "J. Stalin."

A device like a palmtop computer, but the screen glows red-orange. There are only six keys: Y, N, 1, 0, On/Off, and Restart. When picked up, the screen
lights with DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE? Y/N. If Y is entered, the screen dims, but will light again for the next person to pick it up. If N is entered, the
user's heart stops. He will revive if Restart is pressed within 3 minutes. The on/off key works normally; the others have no visible effect.

A typewritten manuscript dated 1967 and titled "Memoirs of an Old Navy Man." It is the recollections of a 1929 Naval Academy Graduate.
Introduced to carrier operations on the USS Lexington in the early 30's, his career accelerated in Naval Aviation after the surprise Japanese attack on
San Francisco. In the post war years he oversaw rocketry research and ultimately helped get the first men to the moon. On the last page is handwritten:
"If I'd known how much fun I would have writing, I would have taken it up sooner. I might try my hand at a little fiction."

Some shuriken made of a mysterious green mineral. Natives of the planet the mineral came from will find the radiation from the shurikens to be fatiguing
and ultimately deadly.

A dusty cassette tape with only 8 inches of tape. If played in an audio player, the first 4 seconds of 'Moon River' will be heard. If placed in an
Apple II tape drive, it will reveal the entire current contents of the Library of Congress.

And that even includes the Warehouse 23 Dumpster:

Quote:

In a battered box wrapped with pink string and "Biohazard" warning tape, you discover . . .An antipope. If applied to a real pope it
explodes instantly.

A cloud of orange smoke drifts away to reveal . . .The remains of an unspoiled license plate formerly of a Vespa that reads: SMEG. Your NPCS are
stunned at the small midget-mechanic side show that is projected from the license plate.You suffer 1D4 damage from a crazed barber wielding a frozen fish.

How could anyone throw THIS away? It's . . .What appears to be a fish shaped ornament, that when put on a tree, will turn the tree into a group
Englishmen whom will ask "Is it tea time" then be teleported to Florida

Quote: You open one of the 999 boxes on this floor and find...

A cube made of six pieces of toast glued together, butter side in. The bottom of the box is carpeted, and the cube is floating in the center of the box,
slowly spinning.

That is both hilarious and cool.

Quote: You open one of the 998 boxes on this floor and find...

An extremely large dead cockroach. It measures 20' from mandible to abdomen. Its carapace can stop a mortar round and its claws can slice through
high-grade steel. Exactly what killed it is not possible to determine, but the whole thing smells vaguely chemical.

EEP!!

An old-style Coca-Cola bottle, faded and dusty. When you look in through the top, you can see writing on the inner bottom surface: "We are not
Crazy."

HA!!

Quote:

You open one of the 998 boxes on this floor and find...

. . . . your own head. As you stare at it, you wave your hand through where your head normally is, and encounter nothing. Maybe it'll come back when
you close the box...
(O_O)

A case of GURPS Cyberpunk. The cover is slightly different. Inside is a detailed description of how to infiltrate current
government and business computer systems; passwords, phone numbers, etc... A sheaf of papers on the top of the pile contains what looks to be a transcript of
the tongue-lashing the Secret Service received in court - with a few red-pencil corrections.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And bringing this full circle back to the beginning...

Two foreign-language editions of In Nomine. A successful Occultism roll will recognize the language of one of the editions --
it's Enochian, the occult language "discovered" by John Dee, though it contains quite a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary. The other edition seems
to be in a corrupt form of the same language. Both editions are much shorter than the English edition. Additionally, while the illustrations are the same as
the English edition, they are signed with a sigil not present in the English edition. An Occultism-10 roll will recognize it as the sigil of the Archangel
Eli.

and...

Quote: You open one of the 1000 boxes on this floor and find...

An angel, full human size, wings, halo, and so on. Upon seeing the party, she says "Awww, man!", covers her eyes and begins counting to one
million. Nothing the party does will stop her from spending the next 11 days counting to a million, at which point, she will track down one of those present
when the box was opened, tap him on the forehead, and say "You're it."

A coin-operated time machine. It is mounted on a heavy cuff which is worn on the left wrist (for some reason, the cuff will not snap closed on the right
wrist). It accepts any U.S. coins, even non-standard sizes. To activate it, insert a coin in the slot and turn the knob. The user will be taken to
today's date in the year the coin is dated (but only if the coin is genuine and has not been altered or backdated). Duration of the trip is one minute
for each cent of the coin's denomination. Thus, a 1963 quarter will take the user to 1963 for 25 minutes.The machine does not travel through space,
however; going to the roof of a building and then going back to before it was built is hazardous. Basements are worse. The user may only take along what he
can carry, and none of it remains behind when the time expires.

Whoah!

A mirror festooned with wires and vacuum tubes around the edges and large suction cups on the back. There are two sturdy handles on either side and
obvious connection points for electricity to be supplied. Careful inspection reveals a corroded brass plate near the connection points that reads
(50,000-60,000v).

Huh. Wonder what it does?

A detailed plan for the creation of mindless slaves from the ordinary citizenry. The plan includes a description of the device used for the
transformation, which is a flat black wafer roughly 3.5 inches on a side. Included with the plan is a box of free trial diskettes from a large online
service.

SNRRRRT!

The 1998 edition of Erwin Kreyszig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics, written in Elvish (except for the equations, which are in the standard
Dwarvish notation).

... Okay, now THAT is COOL.

Quote: You open one of the 1001 boxes on this floor and find...

A finely made katana. It is not able to cut things, but rather joins things together, closing wounds, sealing doors, and even, with the right sword forms,
healing a rift between friends and reuniting lost loves.

Nanoha would probably love this thing. Too bad we can't send it to her. Wink

Quote: You open one of the 1001 boxes on this floor and find...

The Fourth Wall. Attempting to go past it would probably not be a very good idea.

O_o

Quote: You open one of the 996 boxes on this floor and find...

A high-quality, full-featured cellular phone. It operates normally. If it rings, all onlookers will patiently allow you to answer and finish the call,
even if they were about to kill you.

Heh. That's actually kinda handy. Smile

A TL8 military gauss gatling staple-gun with 4,000,000 rounds of 'smart' monowire ammo.

Okay, who's got some Red Tape to get through? *evil grin*

A magician's wand. If you concentrate your will on it while pointing it at someone else, the person you are pointing the wand at will spontaneously
combust. There's a patent number on the side of the wand.

*An even bigger evil grin* GNYA-HU-HO-HA-HA-HAAAA!

A copy of "Analytical Engines For Dummies," published 1848. Also, a copy of "Advanced Pandimensional Hypercalculus for Dummies" also
published 1848.

Gee, I wonder what happened to the author? Wink

A 1/8 scale replica of the Statue of Liberty. It is neon orange and says, "I am your worst nightmare," over and over again.

... You know, some sick and perverted part of me finds this to be utterly fucking hilarious.

A large rock onto which a heavy steel anvil is bolted. Both the rock and anvil are time-worn and obviously ancient. The top of the anvil has a long
vertical hole going down in it, as if a long sharp metal rod were once positioned straight-up in it.

No... Fucking... Way...

Quote: You open one of the 995 boxes on this floor and find...

A "Build your own Hypermatrix" Kit. The more you add onto the model, the less of it you can actually see, as it gets translated into the 6th
dimension. Don't put anything inside it if you expect to need it again.

Heh. Now if I ever needed to loose something...

Several bottles of VisiCone eyedrops. A few drops in each eye renders the user colorblind, causing everything to look black and white. However, they can
now see in darkness as if they were wearing light-amplification goggles. The drops gradually wear off after 4-6 hours.

Now that is pretty damn keen.

Quote: You open one of the 1002 boxes on this floor and find...

A bug zapper. It's FAR to large to be used on normal insects.

Unless you're someplace like Klendathu, or maybe even Ragol. BRRRRR-ZAP-POW! Big Grin

Quote: You open one of the 1002 boxes on this floor and find...

A recipe for turning human nose hair and chicken manure into a compact yet powerful explosive.

Do not let Li Kohran see this one!

Blackaeronaut, I hate to burst your bubble at the fine commentary, but, from the FAQ page:

Quote:Is there someplace I can read all the Warehouse items as a text file?
Not now, and probably not ever. The Warehouse 23 site was designed as a (pardon the expression) "experience," where you open one box at a time. We think that just listing them all would spoil the fun. We might put them in a book someday if we could think of a really great format.

Don't you think it would be more fun for others to open the boxes on their own?

In this way, it's like getting to open a whole bunch at once. Wink

Besides, it's not like they leave any forms for commentary on said page. Might actually be fun.

An ancient Danish coin which only flips heads.
Now that's comedy.

--Sam

"There must have been a time, in the beginning, when we could have said - no. But somehow we missed it."

Quote: Logan Darklighter wrote:

A quick Google shows that it is still there.

http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/

D'OH!!! I never thought of trying the direct URL. There used to be a link right on
Warehouse23's front page, and the last time I went looking, I couldn't find it. Glad to see it's still there.

PS: anyone notice how in the "You open one of the XXX boxes" message... the number XXX keeps changing?
The first time I ever noticed that, I actually had a brief freak-out moment.

Quote:You open one of the 995 boxes on this floor and find...

A skull with a brass plate bearing the inscription "A. Hitler." Deeper in the box is a similar skull but the plate reads "B. Hitler."
-- Bob
---------

SkyeFire Wrote:There used to be a link right on Warehouse23's front page, and the last time I went looking, I couldn't find it.
Look on the left side of the page - it's the one marked "Basement" in a different font.

Oh, yes...
Quote:You open one of the 996 boxes on this floor and find...

It's full of stars.
--
Rob Kelk

(Yuku seems to have eaten my previous reply...)

(And now it's back. Never mind...)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: SkyeFire wrote:

There used to be a link right on Warehouse23's front page, and the last time I went looking, I couldn't
find it.
Look on the left side of the page - it's the one marked "Basement" in a different font.

Oh, yes...

It's full of stars.

A: ...okay, that's it. I have become Too Stupid For The Internet. Or simply blind......

B: What kind of stars? Music, stage, silver screen...?