Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGC is Shadowjacked
BGC is Shadowjacked
Link (just copying what "NotDavies" provided in the WIW Sailor Moon thread)

From some of the comments in the intro I wasn't sure if he was doing BGC or 2040, but as it turns out it's going to be BGClassic and Crash.

OAV1 is a promising start, and with artwork appearing already. Favorite bit so far:

Character note: Linna remarks to Sylia, "Priss is going to be pissed when she finds out we're not getting paid for this one."
Sylia lets the comment pass unnoted, but is obviously thinking, "Gee, Linna, projecting much?"

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Recent updates have started digging into the dingy depths of BGC: Grand Mal, by Adam Warren.

Y'know, I realized it'd be bad, but.....wow. Just...wow.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Actually, while I can't disagree in the slightest with his points about Priss's characterization or Peter's role in the story's plot, I still quite liked Grand Mal.

And now I want to read it again, but have no clue where my copy's gotten to.

Ah, well.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Maybe it's one of those things where you have to see the overall to appreciate it. He does mention the art is worthwhile, so perhaps that was a saving
grace.

But when it comes to plot, I know I'm chomping at the bit like a vulture to pull off the choicest pieces of the carcass while leaving the rest to rot, but
the depiction in text is like summary of an adequately written but by no means superb bit of fanfiction.

Which is exactly what it was. I just tend to (try to) hold professionally published work to slightly higher standards.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

What it is... is you're spoiled. There have been so many WONDERFULLY written anime since BGC that your "taste" has matured.

It's kind of like growing up with these big-budget, effects-laden blockbuster "monster" movies and having to go back an watch the no-budget Ed
Wood Wannabe movies from the 50s.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

And after Double Vision, we have an amusing art break.

The Whole Vision-Priss Replacement Thing

In my opinion, quite a bit would have to change for Vision to have become a replacement for Priss. Presumably, Priss would have died tangling with Largo—making the ending of that episode a lot grimmer. But Vision would also have had to be a bit grimmer: while hesitance to kill is a good trait in a superhero, Vision is portrayed here as too generally slow and lacking in killer instinct to really handle herself in a fight, saved mainly by her loyal helpers from the clan. She'd have to be recast as slow due to inexperience rather than nature, and also cut loose somehow from the triad connection so that she'd turn to Sylia's crew for assistance, instead. But although clumsy as first, her natural talent impresses Sylia, who makes an offer, etc. It'd be an interesting dynamic shift in the team, though, because she and Linna would obviously share a certain closeness from the start. Would we see Linna take on a mentor role with her—training her up? And other such questions that never occurred, fortunately or unfortunately, because the series ended shortly thereafter anyway, and damn it, we can't kill off Priss. It's just wrong. It's like killing off, I dunno, Ray from the Ghostbusters.

No, not Ray. Priss is more like, er… like…

[Image: bubblegum-ghostbusters.jpg]

Yeah, sort of like that. Wait, what were we talking about again?
---
waste."

Foxboy Wrote:What it is... is you're spoiled. There have been so many WONDERFULLY written anime since BGC that your "taste" has matured.

Wasn't that part about Adam Warren's BGC, not the anime? '.'

(And if his take on BGC is anything like his take on Dirty Pair, "barely adequate fanfiction" sounds like a good description...)

-Morgan.

Quote: Morganni wrote:

Quote: Foxboy wrote:

What it is... is you're spoiled. There have been so many WONDERFULLY written anime since BGC that your "taste" has matured.

Wasn't that part about Adam Warren's BGC, not the anime? '.'

(And if his take on BGC is anything like his take on Dirty Pair, "barely adequate fanfiction" sounds like a good description...)

-Morgan.
That's pretty much it. I'm a huge fan of BGC in any flavor, yet Adam Warren's work runs into the same category as Bubblegum Crash for
me: it has a few good concepts, but the overall story is lacking that veneer of quality and polish I'd expect from professional work.
---
waste."

Morganni Wrote:(And if his take on BGC is anything like his take on Dirty Pair, "barely adequate fanfiction" sounds like a good description...)
Adam Warren has never done anything with BGC or Dirty Pair.

That said, what he didn't do with Dirty Pair is somewhat more readable than what he didn't do with BGC. In my opinion.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012